AARP Membership

Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
as far as hotel discounts go, if you can't get a 10% discount off the rack rates for SOMETHING you shouldn't be let out of the house alone, forget about traveling!! You can get better discounts using the coupons you pick up in the rest areas.

Not a member, can you tell?
Are you always this nasty or just having a bad day?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM

We no longer subscribe to AARP. When my DH was a new member years ago, we did benefit from travel discounts. I enjoyed reading the magazine. Now we have found that motels usually have a cheaper rate for one reason or another than we would get with AARP. I can get the information online that I was getting from the magazine. I usually search mayo clinic and webmd. My doctor told me to search emedicine, as well. We don't use the insurance since I have excellent insurance as a part of my retirement from teaching.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

my husband insisted, i've never made use of it though for anything!! i paid twice too!! watch bills and check numbers with your card. I noticed it finally and contacted them. they refunded me one membership.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

thanks - we did compare the rates offered by whatever car insurance they were representing - we did much better or our own
- we also have more reasonable rates for our supplemental health insurance than were offered by whatever health insurance/HMO they were representing
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM

We are members, but I cannot tell you what the benefit is. When we have tried to use the card for discounts, we are either too young for the senior citizens (under 60 with or without their card), or the "special" is cheaper without using their card. Many places already have discounts going, but will only allow the use of one discount. It seems to me to be extraneous to anything else we have.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM

I use to belong to this organization years ago,but stopped after I found out that they only start paying if I am in the hospital for three days. The first three days are when you get all the charges. Their rates were very reasonable. This was a very long time ago and they probably have had many changes, but this soured me on them. I would try Regence or True Blue(Blue Cross). These are senior plans. If you are not a senior, can not help. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Are you always this nasty or just having a bad day?
just saying, one of the big touted benefits of AARP membership is the 10% discount on hotel rooms, which is fairly easy to get even if you are NOT an AARP member. There is almost always a deal that is better than 10% off the rack rate. So that is not a good reason to join.

Not being nasty OR having a bad day!! Having a smurfy day!! Hope everyone else is too!

Last edited by ptquilts; 11-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM

I called them and asked them if they spend the money they receive for gun control issues......they said "yes". Well that was the end of that call. Wouldn't join if they gave me a free membership.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
QKO

AARP has turned into a very self-involved organization, one which often operates against the best interests of the seniors it claims to represent. Like someone else said, the discounts they offer can be gotten through any club or agency -- NRA has great discount programs, at least equal to AARP. We discontinued our membership in AARP a couple of years ago after having too many disagreements with their agenda -- we now belong to ASA (American Seniors Association). More in line with our views and goals.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM

We have been members for 15 years but decided this year that they are just too liberal for us. We won't be renewing.