Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ? About living and creating in two places

? About living and creating in two places

Hi all,
    I am still getting used to living in two different states. For those of you in the same situation, how do you manage your projects? I have supplies, stash and machines in both places but only a dedicated space in Florida. I've been trying to set up a better space here in Maine but some special circumstances have gotten in the way of that goal. I haven't set up my sewing machine yet and we've been here for almost two months.
    Do you bring kits with you? I'm wondering if I'd be better off just bringing handwork up here. We are here until midOctober.
    Thanks for your ideas,
    lots2do

If it were me it would depend on the total length of time I would be there. I can piece pretty quickly if I'm not having to set up/break down all the time. If that was the situation, yes, I would probably just bring some hand work. Or keep said supplies in that location (thinking knitting/crocheting/cross stitch??).

Blog Entries
    I had two places as you do until this year. There was a dedicated room for my sewing and my mother's art. She and I both left supplies there until the "next time." The only thing I carted back and forth was my FW machine and one or two rulers. Cutting mats for each place. Our trips were always in the summer, so when Row by Row started, we would look for participating shops on our travels. I'd then work on the RxRs or some other project that I'd pick up in one of the shops.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I live in Michigan but spend 5 months in Florida in the winter. I have a small sewing space and use a dresser and a bookshelf for storage. Due To limited car space, I usually bring only my small sewing machine, a few supplies, and fat quarters and Charm squares in Artbin boxes. I also bring block of the month kits that I purchased years ago. Yardage and batting I purchase in Florida as needed. I usually work on smaller projects, although I stay in a mobilehome park that has a clubhouuse where i can use tables for laying out my quilt sandwich. What i really love is the fact that there are other quilters in the park. We meet in the clubhouse once a week to help each other out of just to oooh and aaah at each other's projects. I usually make placemats, pillows, small throw quilts,
    Christmas decorations, bags, etc.
    Last edited by janjanq; 07-16-2017 at 04:52 AM.

I actually have three places to sew: my camper, our regular home and a cottage on the river. I initially brought all my FQ's here to the cottage and kept my yardage at home. I take quilts that are cut out and ready to sew with me in the camper. I have 2 good sized shelves in one room that is my designated sewing room in the cottage with a table on lifters for cutting. When I leave for the winter to Alabama, I plan on taking several kits with me that will be queen size quilts, the campground has a large table and I have a spot in the camper for cutting out the kits. At the cottage, we usually stay one week and then leave for a week from spring to fall so I have several quilts in progress at one time. I always have something easy to make for a leader and ender and then I have another more complicated quilt I am making also. I am fortunate that my machine in the cottage stays up all the time in a great cabinet. When I am sewing in the camper, I have to take my machine up and down, but I still manage to sew a great deal. My small ironing board sits over the kitchen sink and my mat is on the counter next to it. The table is right behind it. On those days, we eat from the fridge and microwave or eat out. I do hope you find a way to quilt, it sure makes life nice.

I also had two places until this year. Had a sewing machine in each with rulers, cutters, mat and general sewing supplies as well. I made up my own quilt kits from my stash and took them to the cabin. It worked well for me. The only problem now is that I have an over abundance of "things" since I've now combined the two houses! After 9 months I still haven't unpacked all the boxes and have changed my sewing room around numerous times to accommodate everything.

I may just have to be content with knitting and paper piecing for the time being with the goal of setting up later on in August. At the very least, I'd love to get organized before we head back to FL in October so that I can jump right into sewing when we return. I have a long list of things I'd love to make for the cottage here (new seat cushions, pillowcases, curtains etc.) that I really feel I have to make here in case I need to remeasure or adjust my sewing plans.
    Thank you for your thoughts. Happy stitching!

Maybe I should also take pictures of my supplies with my iPad so that I remember what I have here. I've done that with clothing before. I think I have to break the cycle of bringing everything plus the kitchen sink back and forth. It seems to be a comfort thing to pack a bunch of stuff but then that turns into a frustrating feeling once I get here and I'm short on storage space.
    This is really helping me work through my mental block on this situation.

Blog Entries
    I thought about making up some of your own kits in your "main" residence to take with you for piecing.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Yes, that's what two of my FL friends do when they come up here. One says that works well for her. The other one just buys more stuff here and doesn't always use the kits. I'm not much of a planner, tend to be more spur of the moment kind of person so I'm not sure if that would work for my personality. I would like to become more productive at any rate.

mim
    I live in Maine 6 months and WA state in rainy winter. I have fabric in both places -- FQs mostly in Maine because I go to Mardens when I need big stuff. I plan small projects for Maine -- but usually bring a work in process in our check bag if it is going to a Maine recipient. I buy fabric here and take to WA -- I make jams to give at Christmas so I wrap the jars in fabric and put in the check bag. We have clothes and shoes in both places -- more casual and cool here and gardening jeans.

It took a few years to really get it sorted out, but it is really 2 very different life styles. My Bernina is in Olympia and my Janome is here in Cushing.

We are never bored and there is always something to look forward to.

Enjoy the difference

Mim

Power Poster
    We've been going to Florida for about five months for about 12 years now. I finally acknowledged that I have accumulated a LOT of stuff there. I do have all the "florida room" for me and my stuff. (about 10 x 35 feet)

I still drag some things back and forth. DH always groans and fusses - but he packs it.

Thanks, Mim. Different is right. I am so busy in Florida, lots of groups to join and people to do things with, in addition to exploring with the husband. And a big Joann Fabrics ten minutes away. Not to mention driving in crazy traffic at times.
    Maine is much more slow paced but closer to the kids which is a big plus. Joann's is much further away but we are getting a Michael's just over the NH border which will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    We've been going to Florida for about five months for about 12 years now. I finally acknowledged that I have accumulated a LOT of stuff there. I do have all the "florida room" for me and my stuff. (about 10 x 35 feet)

I still drag some things back and forth. DH always groans and fusses - but he packs it.
    Hi bear,
    How funny...I just told my Florida friend on the phone that I'm going to try not to drag so much back and forth from now on. We'll see how that goes. Best intentions and all of that fun stuff....

This is a true dilemma.

In the past, when away from my home base here in SC, I bought fabric at a local fabric store in NJ and made a simple quilt top. However, I have been cutting fabrics for scrappy quilts lately and now bring several sets of them to NJ to sew.

I have a Brother mechanical machine that I store in NJ to use when there. I store the scissors, thread, rotary cutter and blades in the same sewing machine wheelie bag as the machine, plus some small rulers. My cutting mat and larger ruler is stowed flat under a low traffic area of an area rug. Ironing board is stored where it always is/was, iron is stored with it.

My DH was forced (yes, forced by little ol' me!) to make a space for me to actually sew - the size of a small desk. It works; my 'sewing footprint' is the size of that desk. It's enough, but I am always grateful to get home!

In the past, I used a walk in closet for an office. It worked well and kept all my work stuff out of sight, but convenient as well. If you have a walk in closet, maybe you could set up your sewing machine/area in it. While there are usually no windows in a WIC, you do have privacy and a space of your own to work.

I'll be gone over a month the next trip. While I am looking forward to several family events, I am not looking forward to spending the time between events there!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I live in FL year round in On Top Of The World and I am so busy with all the groups, friends and traveling that I don't have time to sew. It sounds like you are really busy when you come done. Maybe all you really need is a small machine, small cutting board and other related supplies. Try to plan out a few projects and pack for those things and you can always buy stuff at JoAnn's.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    Maybe I should also take pictures of my supplies with my iPad so that I remember what I have here. I've done that with clothing before. I think I have to break the cycle of bringing everything plus the kitchen sink back and forth. It seems to be a comfort thing to pack a bunch of stuff but then that turns into a frustrating feeling once I get here and I'm short on storage space.
    This is really helping me work through my mental block on this situation.
    I had every intention of doing just that (taking picture) before we left Florida to come home. That would prevent me from bringing back duplicates from home and would also save time from searching for something at home when it's 1200 miles away in Florida. However I forgot to take the pictures!

Ha, ha, now that made me laugh. I needed to so thank you!
    My hubby taught me something valuable way back when we were first married - the reward system - particularly if you overcame a hard time or did something successfully that you really didn't want to do. If I am able not to pack the car to the max with projects and supplies in October, I think I will need some kind of reward. (More stuff? Now I'm laughing at myself).