Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
about OLD perennial gardens >

about OLD perennial gardens

about OLD perennial gardens

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Mine's almost as old as your's. Only perrenials in it most yrs. and it's survival of the fittest! Decided as it grew larger that it was much to much to keep dragging the hose and watering it; so, I quit babying it and it's done just fine. Weeding it evolves; some years I mulch; then for a few years I tilled it with a small "mini" tiller. (now that's broken). This year I'm smothering some areas with stepping stones (recycled rubber like materials) from Wal-Mart. I do find what I like for a few yrs. tends to change. Johnny jump ups tended to want to take over the whole world as well as several others. Now lots of those things get pulled out like weeds. Every yr. the garden changes a little as I move things, divide things, and introduce new flowers. I always love the changing colors as the seasons change. We's had the early flowers (crocuses, tuplips, daffodils, and early fern leaf peonies. Now my irises are beginning to bloom, soon to be followed by the regular peonies (should be blooming nice for my son's h.s. grad. reception). I started this flower garden the yr. we bought this farmsite. My excuse was that tilling up the oval to include two power poles would eliminate the pain of mowing around them. This little oval grew enormously over the yrs. and has involved a lot more work weeding and tilling then trimming & mowing would have around the two poles! I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing the flowers bloom!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Default I know we all love photos so thought I'd send a few of my gardens.

Here are some photos of some of my perennial beds. I love them and they make me so happy, even tho I have had to let them convert to low maintainence and kind of that wild look, but then it fits me, I am wildyard after all. LOL Hugs and smilessssss and happy gardening!!!
Attached Thumbnails back-shade-garden-patio.jpg   me-steps.jpg   sitting-area.jpg   shade-garden-front-house.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 AM

Default A few more photos:

These photos show my perennial wildflower garden, and a couple of the kinds of roses that I can grow here in my glacial till acidic soil. Also, two of my favorite shrubs, the ninebark and the spirea. Both are hardy and disease free and add interest in the garden.
Attached Thumbnails ninebark-spirea.jpg   rose-2.jpg   roses.jpg   wildflower-garden.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 AM
mim

I'm starting to get my garden cleaned up after the winter. It is so good to come back and see the perky daffys. This pix is from the deck. I'm starting to dig out the grass and move the daisy and black eye susan ner seedlings to other parts.
Mim
Attached Thumbnails front-garden-2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Mim, Love the picture of the daffys. What are the blue flowers also in bloom? I have some - when DH doesn't mow them down - but would love get some more to plant around my yard. TIA
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
mim

They are grape hyacinth -- a bulb. The foliage comes up in the fall and looks good and the flowers come up in the spring -- small at first and then the stalk keeps getting bigger and fuller. They spread very well and last a long time. One of those overlooked bulbs -- but gorgeous in a group. And cheap to buy

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Mim, Love the picture of the daffys. What are the blue flowers also in bloom? I have some - when DH doesn't mow them down - but would love get some more to plant around my yard. TIA
Old 05-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mim View Post
They are grape hyacinth -- a bulb. The foliage comes up in the fall and looks good and the flowers come up in the spring -- small at first and then the stalk keeps getting bigger and fuller. They spread very well and last a long time. One of those overlooked bulbs -- but gorgeous in a group. And cheap to buy
Thank you for the information. Now I know to look for in the fall. The flowers DH mows down have foliage and blossom in early spring - usually with the violets and daffys.