Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? About Pinterest and QB

? About Pinterest and QB

I was snooping around Pinterest and saw one of my quilts I posted on QB. Doesn't the owner need to give permission to have it pinned inPinterest. Besides mine there were several others that I have seen on QB. Not sure how I feel about seeing it onPinterest.
    Marilyn

If it is posted somewhere with no restriction of copying images, anyone can post it to Pinterest. Pinterest is legal so if you don't want your images reposted, use no copying software. I think it's a compliment to have of my pictures of my quilts pinned.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have had a few "pinned" and at first it really bothered me , now not so much. I do have concerns that our overall privacy in this world seems to be disappearing at faster pace than I would like.

Power Poster
    I don't Pinterest. Once images are posted to the net, they are out there.

I think once you post an image anywhere on the internet you have no expectation of keeping it private - that is why you have to be careful about what you post and what you want to remain private e.g. pictures, address, posts, etc because once its posted its out there for everyone to see.

Blog Entries
    Nothing is actually ON pinterest. Pinterest is a collection of links to other things appearing on the internet.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    i don't either, tho i do use the site, along w several others, when looking for ideas etc. but now pinterest has gone back to members only and their pages are covered over half way by adds to log in via facebook or to join pinterest or facebook. 6 billion people on the planet, i am thinking that pinterest has now lost the interest of quite a few billion of us. their loss !!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Pinterest is just a bookmarking site, the link will still go back to the original source. For me its just easier than weeding through bookmarks when looking for something that interested me awhile back. I actually don't even use bookmarking anymore because it was so hard for me to find patterns or something I liked way back just on words. I love pinterest
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I am glad to see this question, and the clarification of Pinterest. I had not understood it as just an assortment of links.
    I did know, and have explained to, literally hundreds of college students, that anything put on line is visible in ways you do not expect.

I work with architects and architecture students, and the issue of design, and images being visible without source or credit is an ever evolving problem. One solution is to insert your name into the image before uploading. (When speaking to the students I also mention that posting while drinking leads to an internet presence you might regret. Probably not relevant here. )
    When I am perfect, I will write a book and everyone can be perfect too. Until then I will just have to be gracious in face of imperfection, and ask the same of everyone else for my imperfections.

I know that this can be a touchy subject--the "pinning". I use Pinterest as a file of interesting ideas or a collection for something I am working on. I have pinned quilt ideas or techniques from Quilting Board here, but I do try to give credit to the person, as in "What a nice border from MarLeClair of Quilting Board." I'm not so keen about other people looking at my boards, for all the copyright issues and the stealing of ideas; but I do like to have a collection of what interested me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Which is why I don't do Pinterest or Facebook. I haven't printed any pictures on Quilting Board - BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO! But never on Pinterest or Facebook or any of the other ones. And though I trust the people, I don't trust stuff I have absolutely no control over. Perhaps for me, Ignorance is bliss. I can't keep track of anything anyhow very well, I am not going to add what I totally do not understand and can't fix if I get a virus or something. So, I trust Quilting Board and that is the only quilting thing that I belong to. And I am happy. Besides, I am too old to be able to understand pinning and links and all that. First thing in the morning I go to the Quilting Board and say what I have to say, read what I want to read and go do my work for the day. I love this Board. Have a good day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I've had some of my stuff pinned as well. I take it as a compliment. I really don't care. Most everything I make is a take off traditional patterns anyway. Or, I bought the magazine or pattern to make. I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest. I like to look and make the boards for future ideas. Sometimes, I am even inspired to make something from them. But, I don't sell or "quilt" show what I make. I gift or make for myself marking the item with the inspired persons name as designer.

You can watermark your photos if you want to with your name. There are tutorials online to show you how to do this.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have had a few "pinned" and at first it really bothered me , now not so much. I do have concerns that our overall privacy in this world seems to be disappearing at faster pace than I would like.
    I agree with all the posts. There is NO privacy once you post a photo so I am careful in what I post on this website. It bothered me at first like Lori said but heck, I am only working on charity quilts. Not in competition anymore with my quilts.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Which is why I don't do Pinterest or Facebook. I haven't printed any pictures on Quilting Board - BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO! But never on Pinterest or Facebook or any of the other ones. And though I trust the people, I don't trust stuff I have absolutely no control over. Perhaps for me, Ignorance is bliss. I can't keep track of anything anyhow very well, I am not going to add what I totally do not understand and can't fix if I get a virus or something. So, I trust Quilting Board and that is the only quilting thing that I belong to. And I am happy. Besides, I am too old to be able to understand pinning and links and all that. First thing in the morning I go to the Quilting Board and say what I have to say, read what I want to read and go do my work for the day. I love this Board. Have a good day. Edie
    You and I are in the same boat...I only hope it's not the titanic! I do as little on computer, tablet, phone as possible. If i do want to research something, I will do a search on the net, find all the links, find the one(s) I may want and be done with it. However, as an aside, I do like watching YouTube quilting tutes......better than when they were on tv......jmho

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    You and I are in the same boat...I only hope it's not the titanic! I do as little on computer, tablet, phone as possible. If i do want to research something, I will do a search on the net, find all the links, find the one(s) I may want and be done with it. However, as an aside, I do like watching YouTube quilting tutes......better than when they were on tv......jmho
    I agree with Edie and Geri B, I only research things other than the digests I get that pertain to quilting or my canning, food drying. I finally got a cell phone for emergency and long distance calling. Just have my lap-top and printer to print out some directions or a recipe that I want in Wordpad.
    A retired friend now has one of the newer phones, a tablet and is SO VERY into Pinterest and FB, then she complains of no time or energy to do her daily chores. She is on one or the other all the time.
    I prefer to spent time via email with a relative in CA and my daughter in NM.
    Am not into spending so much time looking at all the ideas available online.
    I do watch YouTube for how-to do something new, like the set of round knitting looms. Can make a lot of very useful things with them, useful items being the key factor.

The sites used for background checks have everything about you even down to your driver's license picture even if you have never been online in your life. Those are the sites I'm more worried about being hacked for personal info.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    sometimes it helps to add your name to your quilt photo where it can't be cropped out.

If you don't want your quilt picture stolen, do not upload it on the internet. Period. I take it as a compliment. But I am not a designer, who may wish to copyright her designs. I just like to make quilts.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

"(When speaking to the students I also mention that posting while drinking leads to an internet presence you might regret. Probably not relevant here. )"

...oh, i don't know. worked out pretty well for Zuckleberg! lollol

This a simplification, but any time you log onto the internet you are fair game unless you have some really good virus and firewall protection. I even covered the camera lens on my new computer with paper!! Nothing stops anyone if they are technie enough. Just make sure that no personal info gets put anywhere by you. What others do you can't control. IE: I do not put my DOB anywhere. I do use a fake one if asked by a website I really want to go to. I do not use any site that requires me to put in my SS#. I can't control what others do (insurance sites, for instance) but I can control what I put out there.

Water marking your photos is a good idea. Going to see how to do that!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The sites used for background checks have everything about you even down to your driver's license picture even if you have never been online in your life. Those are the sites I'm more worried about being hacked for personal info.
    ditto ...i do searches of my husband & i once in a while using different search engines and then different "people finder" sites. i have several bookmarked. so far most free info is incorrect --outdated address' (we moved a lot) and very outdated phone numbers. have never found our cell phones on searches. the lower our inet prescence the more privacy (& personal ID safety) we retain.

I do not mind people posting photos of my quilts. What I really object to is when they put their name to it as their own. My Mother's quilt that I designed and made for her 90th birthday and in the center a picture of her and my Father really ticked me off. It also had tracings of each child, grandchild and great grandchildren with their names. Strange that a family would have the same names and birthdays and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Pinterest is just a bookmarking site, the link will still go back to the original source.
    IF it was pulled/bookmarked from the original source it will link back to that source. But tons of images are lifted from lifted from lifted from, probably no one but the original poster will ever know who it belonged to.

I altered the HTML on my blogs so nothing there is pinnable. I've had people email and ask if I'll take it off, they want to pin whole posts. Pffpft... the world is full of lazys with no clue about rights and civility.

The accurate background sites are not free and are not cheap. I did a background check on DH and myself. The info was correct down to the name of the Realtor we used to buy our last house. I doubt anyone will ever know if these sites get hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The accurate background sites are not free and are not cheap. I did a background check on DH and myself. The info was correct down to the name of the Realtor we used to buy our last house. I doubt anyone will ever know if these sites get hacked.
    "not cheap" is the key ...random neighborhood/town hackers who steal your mail or get your name aren't going to spend any amount of money to get all your important personal data. baddies who have the dollars to spend on that sort of reseacrch will just put their efforts & dollars into hacking Target & other places we so freely share our personal info with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast