Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for advertising/running a garage sale >

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM

Great Advice. I really appreciate the time you took to type it all up. I will follow all the advice given and will let everyone know the outcome.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 AM

I've found that a carpenters' apron is marvelous for carrying cash. It has multiple pockets, and one deep enough for a billfold. Lots of pockets for change. But do keep the wallet ON YOUR BODY and never, never walk away from the cash box if that's what you are using. One of my friends put a cardboard box over her cash box while she ran inside to get a soda and it was gone when she returned. No one saw a thing, of course.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 AM

In your ad, mention some of the things you have that might draw attention. I've had two garage sales this year. First time I just advertised date, time, address. Did OK. Second time, I mentioned the angel collection, full set of dishes, sci-fi and religious books, costume jewelry, and "made by mom" afghans. They cleaned me out.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Re advertising: If your local store have bulletin boards, put signs up there. Be sure to say it is a Garage Sale for MD.
If you have regional advertising papers, those are very good. I get my best customers from out of town. One of our advertisers gives you free signs when you place an ad.
Good signs are important. Put a couple on the nearest busy road. Many will stop because they see the sign.
Also, in front of my house I set up a step ladder with balloons attached and a garage sale sign. It draws attention.

Re pricing: It depends on the market in your area. I notice a big difference in larger cities. The prices are higher there. Small towns are usually cheaper.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed big differences in pricing even from house to house on the same block.

You might want to shop the thrift stores in your area - GoodWill, Hospice - whatever is around - to get a feel for what THEY are asking for things - and then go from there.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

I put a big sign by the highway 2 days before the sale. Be sure and price everything and make sure they know it is for Ms.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM

In your ad state that items will be from more than one family. Many won't bother to go to a small garage sale. Mention any collectible items, books, fabric, appliances, unusual items, tools, antiques. Have some men to provide security against thieves. Good time and place for a group to add some baked goods for sell also. Lots of people will buy a snack while they shop. Keep your house LOCKED while you are outside. Arrange ahead of time for what you will do with what doesn't sell. Start putting prices on items today, it's a never ending job. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM

I think the bottled water/soda idea is fabulous - buy in bulk at warehouse prices and sell for $1 or $2, if the weather is hot you will sell out.

I quit advertising in my local paper and stuck to Craig's List and signs. A couple of years ago I did a little survey at my garage sale and not one person came because of the newspaper ad. I had a few who came from CL, but the majority (probably 85%) saw my signs on the street and followed them. I used wood sandwich boards, similar to the "open house" ones realtors use. Got hot pink paper, printed an arrow and "garage sale" in all caps at something like 600 pt font. I taped the signs on both sides of the sandwich boards. I made 4 or 5 of those signs and had TONS of people tell me they just followed the signs. Now whenever the neighbors have a garage sale, they all come over to borrow my sandwich boards, lol!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 AM

It is funny that the township allows signs one week in advance and requires removal within 24 hours but my "open space association" (association that runs my development) does not allow signs but told me on the sly to just post the signs after 5 pm on friday so that they would not be removed. The township also limits me to 6 signs (not that I believe the police would be out counting the signs and they can be no bigger than 2 ft by 2 ft.

I need to figure out how to say alot in as few words as possible.

I will have to remember to lock the doors to the house and I will hire a babysitter for my 4 year old.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 AM

Like others have posted, please put prices on items. I don't like asking how much it is. We have walked away from lots a garage sales without buying because of no pricing.