Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner >
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner

• Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
    If you had just one point of advice to give a first-time cat owner (considering the following) what would it be?

Until three years ago I've always had dogs, usually big ones who were always my best buddies. Since then I'm relocated to a small upstairs, apartment with windows on three sides. It is just me and I'm ready for a new fur baby.

I'm 71, somewhat arthritic, moderately active, and an avid quilter/sewer. I don't usually leave for more than 3-4 hours at a time a couple times a week. If longer, I have a friend who will attend to the cat's needs for me, but it likely wouldn't be more than three days once a year or so.

I have researched and studied my own life style and think I am ready for a short-hair cat (I'm used to dog hair, but would prefer to keep it on the shorter side). Male or female doesn't matter as it will be neutered if not already. I'm thinking older than a kitten, maybe even a senior cat which I'll adopt from an organization that attends to shots, worming, etc., so I know I'm bringing home a well cat. If it is not declawed, I will not have that done; I think best to leave them with their natural defenses.

As for stuff, I will get a couple padded (quilted?) window perches, a covered litter box (cleaned daily), food dishes, a scratching post and a few toys.

I have tried to look through my sewing room for things that could present a problem. I'll give away any potted plants that aren't hanging, check for loose blinds cords, etc. I'm concerned about thread in the machine if I should happen to forget to take it out and put it away. Is this a problem? I'd feel terrible if something happened to my new little one through my fault.

Oh, yes, and I hope that he/she decides to curl up in bed with me. That would be nice.

Sorry for rambling. It's undeniable how much you all love your little ones and I know I could do no better than to ask you for that one piece of advice you'd give to a never-before cat owner to get started off as well as possible. Thanks so much.

Enjoy, but you must know THE CAT will do things his way!
    Old 09-10-2011, 10:11 PM

I also was a dog person (my sweet dachshund Maggie lived to age 17). We are now cat people. The first and last were tabby cats who showed up under porch. In between we adopted twin short hair domestics, one black & one black & white. My one advice is get a yellow tabby. The two I know are the best natured.
    Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Originally Posted by MegsAnn
    Velcro never learned claw control and still gets stuck on the carpet when running (it's hilarious and cute).
    HAHA! I had to reply; we had a cat named Bean who always, ALWAYS ran with all of her claws out. She made the best noises when she ran, but look out if she had reason to run OVER you. LOL
    Love it! Yeah, when mine runs over carpet, he sounds like velcro releasing... so that's his name!
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM

I love your question because I've thought the same things with the same issues (health). I lost my doxie a few months ago and at some point want another furbaby and have included a cat if I can't get another doxie.

Looking forward to all the great tips.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 AM

My cat jumped into and swung a hanging plant until he killed the plant, scattered dirt everywhere, and finally the pot , with him swinging in it pulled the screw out of the ceiling, and down came pot, hanger and cat.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 AM

I found Mr.Peach in the park and the vet said he was about 5 weeks old at the time. I would not get a kitten again..I had forgotten what it was like to have a baby in the house! PetSmart has cats from the shelter here for a fee which includes shots, neutering, etc. (definitely costs less than a "free" cat that you have to take to the vet for shots, neutering, etc.). Peach has his claws and uses a scratching post and though he never goes outside I didn't have his claws removed because my vet doesn't really think it is a good thing unless he decided to destroy furniture. I suspect if you get an older kitty it will not scratch furniture. Peach doesn't bother sewing "stuff" but loves to sit on fabric..especially what I am working with at the time! He is not a "lap cat" but he is always in the same room with me. He also sleeps by my side but never under the covers like my last cat did for 20 years. It sounds like you have prepared everything and some lucky kitty is out there waiting for you. I wish you many years of being owned by a cat. You have got to love it!
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Good to get tempting stuff out of the way. Neither of my cats bother any quilting stuff though. I've found they are NOT like dogs. They don't care when you come home, won't come when you call, acknowledge you when THEY feel like it. But they ARE lower maintenance than dogs, and when they DO decide to snuggle and purr, they are very sweet.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Good to get tempting stuff out of the way. Neither of my cats bother any quilting stuff though. I've found they are NOT like dogs. They don't care when you come home, won't come when you call, acknowledge you when THEY feel like it. But they ARE lower maintenance than dogs, and when they DO decide to snuggle and purr, they are very sweet.
    Not necessarily. My avatar kitten was raised with Boxer puppies and she thinks that she is one. She chews on pig ears, plays fetch, and LOVES ice cubes.

Every cat has their own personality. Some are very snobby and others feel that you have no choice except to love them. I have had several of each type. Some people say that all of the Siamese-ish breeds are that way. They can be, but not all. My first Siamese loved everybody and was the first to greet you at the door - until we got a dog. And then she would stake out on the first available corner of something to get love on.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Some lucky cat is going to walk into a heaven on earth when you adopt it.

My cat does not bother the tread in the machine - but if he gets a hold of one on the floor it goes flying all over as he bats it around.

If you take home material with an order on it - mine lets me know!

Now potatoes are a different story - my cat hates them and if I don't put them away immediately- I have to throw them away. Go figure.

We chose our cat from the humane society. Went in many times had my requirements and the main one was when I held it it had to purr right away. The cat has been a member of our family for 12+ years and it was an adult cat who had been brought back 3 times before we adopted it.
    Found out that it woke the other owners up in the middle of the night. It did it the first night to me - I took it out and showed it where the food and water were and I went back to bed. Second night it came to get me and I looked at it and said - you know where your food and water is go get it. That was the last time it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Just remember - Cats pick you!
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Our kitten/cat never messes with my machines (once she got past the curiosity state) - and will always take a bath or snooze on the lightest colored fabric she can find - - - which ususally necessitates a rewash of the fabric before I can use it - but she loves velour (sp?) and I have a piece of it stretched over one of my fabric piles and she is content with that - it is soft and squishy and perfect for a nap!

For furniture - we just started from day one with a "No, you know better than that" when she thinks about sinking a couple claws into it - or even a stern "don't even think about it!!) when she is eyeing the furniture and that has been quite successful with us.

Also if she is sitting in my lap, I will wrap my arms completely around her (like hugging a human) and give her a gentle squeeze, and she loves it. Of course she won't turn down a loose roll of toilet paper laying around - to chase it around the house (unrolling all the way).

Yes, you are "staff" and one of the cutest sayings I saw about it is when you are calling her and she walks away with her ears half turned back - - she is telling you to "leave a message!"

We love our little girl and wouldn't trade her for anything. We get a little concerned when she is gone for a full day but she comes through her little cat door and wawlks in like "Hi, guys, whatcha been doing?" and we forgive her.

Marysewfun