Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: air conditioners

Blog Entries

air conditioners

does anyone use a portable air conditioner and how do you like it? We just put in some new windows and I don't want to put nail holes in them to hold a window air conditioner. I would appreciate any info you can give me.
    Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    I have one. It does the job. It's a little noisy. I don't like the hose out the window, but prefer that to sweltering LOL.
    The entire setup does take up more space than I'd like in my small apartment.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I got one a couple years ago, it works pretty darn good. I'm very happy with it and the job it does.

My brother in law bought one to use in South Louisiana in an 8x10 room. The windows he installed were too small to hold the smallest window unit. He started running it and found that we have too much humidity. The room had to be wiped down to remove mold & mildew, even when it was on all the time. He had to put the exhaust hose out the very small window to let the moisture it did collect go outside. He ended up buying a window unit and cut a hole in the wall. No more mold & mildew. If you don't have the humidity, the portable unit could be okay. The air that exhausts from the portable unit is warm so I found it had to work harder to create a cool environment in the room.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your input. I did see under some reviews that they put insulation around the hose and taped the hole going through the window to help with the heat and humidity. I know you can't trust all the reviews they put on Amazon etc., that's why I thought to ask you all. I trust your info more.
    Thanks again I will let you know what we finally decide on.

If your unit is on a ground floor a stand can be used to hold the unit in the window with no holes needed and the stand provides more security then a plain window too. The unit can only come out from the inside.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I have one. It does the job. It's a little noisy. I don't like the hose out the window, but prefer that to sweltering LOL.
    The entire setup does take up more space than I'd like in my small apartment.
    This is exactly the reply I would have given. it is better than sweltering but I think a window air conditioner would do a better job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    This is exactly the reply I would have given. it is better than sweltering but I think a window air conditioner would do a better job.
    I agree that a window one would be better, but our building no longer allows the window units.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've seen room a/c units that can be used inside. They look similar to a portable fan or heater. No mounting to a window. I haven't used one but it may be work checking into.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

We have two of these units. My husband says that the ones that have 2 hoses are more efficient and works like a window unit. He will not buy a single hose unit.

When these came out years ago, my parents put a big one in the window and it did pretty good. We use to call them "swamp coolers" because they do cause humidity. They are great in dry climates and will get pretty cool.

You may try a split. My DD uses those in her house and no window needed. Not sure exactly how they work but cools as good as central air.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the size, you may not have to mount it with screws. My smaller rooms have smaller units and they just sit in the window, it holds it in the frame. My larger one I have a stand that leans against the house to help support it. It depends on what you have. Most of the time I don't have more than one going and the other rooms can be closed off so the smaller units work great.
    Judy

We have a Fujitsu that is 12"x 31" on room side, the motor/power is outside the room on the sidewalk; there is a small 3" hole in the wall where the air conditioner is hung high up on the wall. It will cool or heat up our 20x60' room in less than 20-30 minutes. It has been working for 8 years with no problem.

Blog Entries

air conditioners

Quote Originally Posted by BettyM View Post
    We have two of these units. My husband says that the ones that have 2 hoses are more efficient and works like a window unit. He will not buy a single hose unit.
    Could you tell me what brand and model you have? I bought a Hisense 400 sq ft portable air conditioner, but I am not sure if it works like I want it to. I am thinking of returning it, it only has 1 hose
    Thanks
    Jerseyrayne

Ours is a Haier unit. My husband thinks we got it either at Lowes or Walmart. My only complaint is that the control buttons eventually become hard to press.