Air Conditioning

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

I might just have to make a quilt to bring to work.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Oh, energy saving.........My office's big step towards that was to shut down all of our computers for a night - we have a lot.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM

They tend to be on the thicker, hairrier side of life.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 AM

Do you have your own office? Have you tried covering the vent? In one office I worked in I was able to cover the vent in the ceiling with a trash bag and duct tape. In the current office I'm in, I have magazines/junk mail placed over the vent (vent is in the floor).
hope this helps. always keep a sweatshirt or sweater on hand.

(one job, I even put a lap quilt on my legs when I sat at my desk because I was so cold. and wore gloves with the fingertips cut out.)
Rose Hall
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM

I have always gone through that temperature thing. However, mostly I have worked with lots of women (read, going through various stages of menopause), and no one was ever happy. I had a space heater and a fan. Put on whatever one you want and tell those big boys to cowboy up and deal with it!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kj05
I might just have to make a quilt to bring to work.
When my daughter was in Afghanistan 3 years ago, she was freezing to death in the airconditioning in her office. I sent her a lap quilt. Because she's army, she had to be in uniform but in the office she used the quilt to stay warm. She got lots of teasing but used it anyway. It was tough cause it was 100+ outisde, so no wearing a turtle neck under her uniform.

I don't have air at home, I have to use ceiling fans, but here at work we have airconditiong and I frequently get cold in the afternoon when it is running. Fortunately I have the control within a few feet and can roll my chair over to adjust, I usually bring a long sleve big shirt I can slip on when I get cold.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM

We have the a/c on here now - I just have to keep the guys from setting it at 64*, the boneheads! All that does is keep the compressor running until it freezes up. Sheesh.... The service mgr & I keep pushing it back up to 74 - 76*. At home, I have it set around 84* - 86* when I'm at work, that way it will usually come on in the late afternoon, not too long before I get home & the place won't be broiling hot. Then sometimes I'll put it down to 80* until the sun goes down. That way the house is comfortable for me, but my bill is not too big.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM

I can relate!! I used to have an "office sweater" -- you know, a grungy old thing that when the guys turned the AC to freezing in the summer, you put on? I was also known for going outside and sitting in the sun to get warm!!

Here at home, hubby keeps temp at 70 in the summer -- I didn't wear a pair of shorts in the house at all last year...
Old 05-19-2009, 03:47 PM

No air conditioning in the house here (1950 wiring will not permit it) but at work, I am frozen half the time.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Boy, can I relate to this! I wear layers all year long. When I am at work, I FREEZE! And when I go into a store, I FREEZE! and when I go into a restaurant, the A/C finds ME! I Freeze all summer long! I carry a jacket or sweatshirt with me ALL the time and put them on to go indoors! If there is an A/C vent, I am always under it!
I don't use the A/C at home. I have ceiling fans, but don't use them all that much. I have an older home with high ceilings, windows on all 4 sides and an upstairs. I do use the ceiling fan in my upstairs bedroom, but I LOVE to have the windows open and fresh outside air!
I do use the A/C in the car, but would rather have the windows open when I can.
I DO NOT LIKE BEING COLD! My hands hurt when they are cold and I can't quilt! :( :?