Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All you RVers, A question

All you RVers, A question

I know there are a lot of RVers here and I need advice. How do you keep the wall area around your stove from getting grease marks? We do a lot of cooking in ours while wintering in TX. and end up with splatters on the wall, which is actually covered in wall-paper. Just bought a new to us motor-home and the walls around the stove are perfectly clean, as if no-one has ever cooked in it. Would love to know how to keep them looking nice, but we will be cooking. Thanks in advance for ideas.

I had plexi-glass cut, then put up with thoes sticky things that you hang pictures with, small ones on each corner could hardly see them.

We did the plexi-glass thing too. You can get the plexi-glass at Lowes/Home Depot usually. They may even cut it for you or you can cut it on a table saw.

For the life of me, I do not understand RV manufacturers putting wallpaper OR mirrors behind a stove or sink!!!!!! Ours had the mirrors. Yeah, like I need to see what I'm cooking in a mirror!!!! They say it makes an RV look bigger ------ it may LOOK bigger but it doesn't mean the RV can hold more stuff!!!!! The rig is x by x and looking at a reflection in a mirror won't make it hold more!!! (okay, I'm ranting)..
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Now that's hilarious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    We did the plexi-glass thing too. You can get the plexi-glass at Lowes/Home Depot usually. They may even cut it for you or you can cut it on a table saw.

For the life of me, I do not understand RV manufacturers putting wallpaper OR mirrors behind a stove or sink!!!!!! Ours had the mirrors. Yeah, like I need to see what I'm cooking in a mirror!!!! They say it makes an RV look bigger ------ it may LOOK bigger but it doesn't mean the RV can hold more stuff!!!!! The rig is x by x and looking at a reflection in a mirror won't make it hold more!!! (okay, I'm ranting)..
    SUEB

Be very careful with plexiglass. It is quite flammable and gives off toxic fumes. I would recommend metal. We gave up RVing for financial reasons. I used to use a folding aluminum splatter shield, but I have also put clear plastic shelf liner (the adhesive kind) over the wall paper. I would recommend an aluminum hot mat attached to the walls.
    Shirley in Arizona

j
    I don't seem to have any problems with that, use your upper vent that should pull everything out and I don't fry on my stove but in an electric skillet more off to the side. My walls are not queasy at all. I periodically wash the walls but do it out of habit. - J

Yeah, what J said. I have fried on my stovetop but not at such a high heat that it spatters but I wouldn't use my wok either. lol If you get a few spatters, blotting with ammonia should work without hurting the wallpaper.
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

Blog Entries
    I have a slow cooker and a electric fry pan and I cool outseide on a small TV tray I carry around that is if you are in a climate you can do this, or I also just put up some renelds wrap or news paper but not if I am using the stove which to tell you the trut is not too often, get some electric appliances and it is easier to keep your unit clean.
    We have noticed a lot of people with big class A motor homes do not even use their own bathrooms for showere or cooking we biguht ours 2nd hand and the sove and oven are still like new!!

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    I never thought about it before now. Our RV has tile around/behind the sink/stove area, I just lucked out on that one. DH cooks almost everything outside on the grill or uses the electric wok outside. He thinks he's a better cook than me. Who am I to tell him otherwise
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

Blog Entries
    look for stainless steel backsplash tiles in hardware stores. or have what size you need cut for you and install how ever they say would work. good luck.

When DH and I were RV'ing I bought some peel and stick floor vinyl tiles and put them up behind the stove..worked just fine
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Companies that make RV's REALLY need to have more women on their design staff and we wouldn't have all these incorrect materials placed around the sink and stove area. We only use our stove for things that need to be boiled (water for mac and cheese, potatoes, etc.). If we have something fried, I use my electric skillet, so much easier to clean than the area around the stove.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
    I never thought about it before now. Our RV has tile around/behind the sink/stove area, I just lucked out on that one. DH cooks almost everything outside on the grill or uses the electric wok outside. He thinks he's a better cook than me. Who am I to tell him otherwise
    That is a definite ^5 on the "He thinks he's a better cook than me " LOL His brother is a trained chef so DH thinks he can cook as good or better than I ever have, especially when grilling .. OKAY go for it buddy .. start cooking !LOL

<100 % eye roll !LOL>
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

When we went in our neighbor lady's RV, she had a mirror next to the
    stove, which was easier to clean than wall paper. I don't know if it
    was there when she bought it or not, but knowing her, I'll bet she put
    it there and found it easier to clean, also she didn't cook much on the
    stove, she cooked outside or her DH cooked outside on the table with
    an electric skillet.

my mom and dad hung a cookie sheet back of the stove. easy to take down and clean dry and rehang. If it got old she just got another new one. at least it protected the wall while cooking. Also dad would put magnics on some of her cooking spoon handles and they were hung there too. Also some metal measuring cups and spoons so they were easy to get without taking up space.
    Last edited by crtwelvecats; 05-19-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use plastic wrap, it clings to the area, when i am done cooking, it peels right off, i do this at home as well. I don't splatter often, but when i do this helps tremendously
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Some folks use those tin 2x2 ceiling tiles. Get them at Home Depot. Personally I rarely use my stove. DH cooks outside. I'm with baskets4moo on that one.
    True4uca

What about plain old contact paper, can be cleaned, or replaced once in a while.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I cook everything outside.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

I am now in my 6th year as a full timer. I love to cook and cook alot on stove top. REad the owner's manuel and it said to wipe the wall paper down with rubbing alcohol - watered down. I find it harder to keep the stove top clean rather than the walls.

I like mirrors for back-splash. They are much eaiser to clean than the wall. I never fry anything inside. We do most of the cooking outside.

You could use a flat cookie sheet with no sides on it and then you have it when you make cookies.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I just set baking cookie sheets up. Just need two.
    Mountain Woman

I told my husband years ago that if I'm doing the cooking, while RVing, we are having sandwiches because I'm on vacation too. Well he didn't like that so he cooks, washes the dishes and cleans up. He's a great cook too. We are looking for a new RV now so thanks for the suggestions. I'll let my husband know about all these.

We recently bought a used Roadtrek (camper van type) and it has stainless on the wall beside the elements & a window is behind them. Can't imagine having wallpaper around it, but then it is a very small space compared to the large RVs that you would live in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast