Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Geriatric RVers take down RV burglar >

Geriatric RVers take down RV burglar

Geriatric RVers take down RV burglar

Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Just had to share this. It doesn't pay to mess with "grumpy old men"... :mrgreen:

By Russ & Tiña De Maris | June 18, 2010 - 2:43 pm - Posted in Alaska

HOMER, Alaska — A group of self-described, “Grumpy Old Men” have proved youth doesn’t always have the upper hand on oldsters. When 26-year-old Tyler Cavenaugh allegedly attempted to rob several RVs at an Alaska Highway turnout, the oldsters turned the table and got a grip on the would-be thief, holding him until authorities arrived.

“Everyone was over 70,” said Spike Fortier of Anchorage, the leader of the motorhome caravan. “It was like a rerun of ‘Grumpy Old Men.’” Witnesses say Cavenaugh burgled two motorhomes at the Baycrest Hill turnout along the Sterling Highway in broad daylight. Fortier saw the man running with loot, and took off after him in a van. Other RVers responded on foot, until a woman driving an auto–apparently an accomplice–attempted to provide an escape. Cavenaugh dove through the open door of the vehicle, head first, attempting to secure a getaway. The quick thinking RVers grabbed whatever they could, and pulled the alleged crook out of the car.

It was then that 70-year-old Harvey Hayden’s glory days on the hockey rink came back to him. “I picked him up in the air and slammed him down on the ground,” Hayden said. “It reverted back to my days playing hockey. … It was kind of a body slam. I’ve been in a million of them on the hockey rink, but never on the Sterling Highway. It must have been quite a shock for Cavenaugh to look up and see himself surrounded over 40 old RVers, all outfitted in yellow vests.

When police arrived–responding to multiple 9-1-1 calls, they found Cavanaugh being held down by several gentlemen from the RV group, and the fruitless fruits of his criminal folly surrounding him. Cavenaugh was charged on June 11 with two counts of first-degree burglary, tampering with physical evidence, second-degree theft — all felonies — and second-degree criminal trespass. The RV group will no doubt have plenty of mileage for campfire stories far into the future.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Go Grumpy Old Men!!! :D:D:D
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM

Great job!!!

My DH was attacked by some skateboarders on Monday night. Jim works at a church and the skateboarders love to come and "do their thing" on the stairs and rails. The Church had installed clamps on the rails to keep them off. The kids used a "sawzall" and removed the clamps as well as another rail. They were boarding and filming what they were doing when Jim came around the corner and saw them. They used to just run off so he told them to leave and after several times of yelling at them they ran off but left a backpack behind. Jim picked up the heavy pack (may have had the Sawzall in it) and they came back. There were about 7 of them and two of the kids started hitting my husband. He warded off blows but did not strike back. Ended up with a blood shot eye and bruising on his face and very sore muscles. He said that they continued filming the whole time the couple of kids beat on him. Seams there is a audience for "Skaters beating up old guys". The next day, some of the kids had the nerve to come back and when asked to leave started cussing him out, in front of the little children at the preschool. Well police came and the kids got busted. They were 13-17!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Good for the Grumpy old timers :thumbup: Just Thankful no-one was hurt, could have been much worse.

So sorry for your husband , so many kids these days have no respect for anyone :hunf:
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Gayle!!! I'm so sorry that happened to your husband. Nowadays it's getting harder and harder to believe there are GOOD kids around....even though I know there are!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Don't tick off a GRUMPY OLD MAN !!!
Great Job :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Pam

Gayle,my hubby is a cop and he LOVES to respond to these type of youth calls. Usually a scary run in with the police turns them around.

He has many calls each year from parents asking him to come and talk to their child. The other police in the area do not get these calls, they don't care and do not make an effort to "connect" with the youths in the community, troubled or otherwise.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM

I am sorry for your husband.

They film their actions to put on youtube. You may want to look to see if you can find it and then let the police know.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

What they did to your husband was terrible. There are some wonderful kids in this world but there are some that are out of control. So sad.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I am sorry for your husband.

They film their actions to put on youtube. You may want to look to see if you can find it and then let the police know.
He's been checking youtube to see if he on there but hasn't seen it yet. It would be a good way to catch the kids cause they will have some of them in the film as well.

He is afraid that they will cause some vandalism (beyond cutting rails and such) to the church because of this. Everytime we are out in the evening, we take a drive thru the parking lot. The police are keeping an eye on things too.

Oh, by the way, my "old guy" is only 51!