Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum foil reuse

One of my dear friends would reuse the foil, or the plastic wrap - years ago I saved the plastic bags because they were very expensive, now they are much cheaper. But I will use a plastic container before using baggies or ziplock bags, etc. And foil is used so rarely - i use parchment paper when baking and foil is used with meat in the oven and way too difficult to clean.

I make it into a ball and put it in the dryer, somehow it works like a dryer sheet and gets rid of ststic cling. Not sure how long it last but I have had one ball in the dryer for a month now.

If I have used it to cover something with since my roll of aluminum foil is much wider than my roll of saran wrap, I will continue to cover whatever it is until it is eaten - like a ham, etc. If I have used it in the broiler or in the over then I discard it when it comes out of the range. The only thing I reuse are the plastic grocery bags. And I grew up in the 40's and 50's.

We use it sparingly, but don't wash and reuse...we are careful with water use and beside that we have a recycling bin/service, so all the used foil gets balled up and recycled.

I grew up pretty poor, so consequently I do a lot of recycling of household items. I do re-use foil, ziplocks, jars that something else came in from the store, etc. I also use left overs to make another dish for another meal. Call me cheap but old habits are hard to break.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I only reuse if it isn't dirty at all. Besides around here its hard to save anything to reuse. I live with people who have money to burn, obviously everything with them is "oh just buy a new one". . I have to hide my jars to save them. One day I will get my own place and be able to save all kinds of junk. LOL

i was born in 1936 so i grew up during world war II. we didn't even have aluminum foil, we were so poor, with a family of nine. must not have been very good birth control back then either, lol. but like someone else said, it's hard to break old habits, so I reuse almost everything but kleenex and toilet paper. worn out socks and t shirts work so good for polishing furniture. i can make one t shirt last for about 15 years - wear it the first 5, sleep in it the next 5, then cut it up for rags the last 5.
    love people and use things, don't use people and love things

If it doesn't need to be washed, I reuse foil.
    Also, I've stopped using plastic baggies for lunches. I bought a bunch of those semi-disposable plastic containers that have lasted over three years. I only use baggies, foil, and plastic wrap when I intend to throw them away.
    ~hannajo~
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

I think it depends on what you can live with. Ever watch one of those hoarding shows? Those folks have a use for everything! Even used aluminum foil. It's a very fine line - I don't save aluminum foil or anything else that has been used once on a food product. I'm not even really a fan of plastic containers - I generally put stretch and seal on a regular bowl and use that to store leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
    My son and I are having a conversation about how many people reuse their aluminum foil after it's first use. He does not think that the majority of people do and I think the opposite Of course, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and everyone we knew did. I will wash it, let it dry, and put it away in the drawer for future use. Any thoughts on this subject.
    During the 50's and 60's, when many of us were growing up, we were children of people who had learned to use and re-use during both the depression and WWII or they were just plain frugal people. And the world was in much better condition it is now. We are now known as the "Throw Away Society". I'd rather be frugal. Yes, I reuse. And I recycle.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I do put a square piece on top of jam jars in the fridge and screw the lid tight. This seals the jam for a long time. What I use frequently is the plastic bags in the cereal boxes. I use them for lunch and many things around the house.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I will reuse one if it's not soiled. i fold it and put it in the pantry near the foil box.
    Me also. There is is not a lot on those rolls so if I can get a second use that is a good thing
    Judy in Phx, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
    My son and I are having a conversation about how many people reuse their aluminum foil after it's first use. He does not think that the majority of people do and I think the opposite Of course, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and everyone we knew did. I will wash it, let it dry, and put it away in the drawer for future use. Any thoughts on this subject.

wad foil into a baked potato size and put into dryer, eliminates static cling,,amazing

When my sissors start to get dull I cut thru foil several times. It helps to sharpen them. It won't replace professional sharpening but will extend the life for awhile. Also I have to have foil for use on the grill. That I won't reuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    My kids get so upset with me for reusing things. But I guess that is the way I grew up. And today it works out with recycling. I reuse the heavier plastic silverware. It is a shame to through them out, when it takes so little to wash and dry them. I guess it comes from being a farm kid in the 50's, but you know I can sure make do with what I have if I have to. Would like to see some of the kids of today make do with what we used to have to.
    speaking of plastic ware, it is much better for the environment to wash and reuse.....nowadays, we throw everything away....what a waste and filling up dumps
    Last edited by joym; 01-10-2013 at 07:41 AM.

I can't believe I am replying to this. Too funny because Christmas day my DIL's mom wanted me to save the used tin foil; we were at my house. I told her ok but threw it out after she left. It is toooooo yucky afterwards. Also, I don't use it that often.

I will reuse if it is clean, I'll also reuse a zipper bag if clean. Never if it has held meat or anything that might cross-contaminate. It's not that expensive(and I had always been on a tight budget). We usually buy the large rolls at Sam's and they last forever, it seems. Even when everyone was at home and I used a lot more. I won't reuse sandwich bags for lunches. Just not worth the risk of getting sick.

would like to add, when i say reuse, i mean right now.As in "i'll put the dinner rolls back in the bag they came out of before dinner" or re-wrap the casserole dish before putting in the frig.

I don't have stacks of "saved" foil or bags stored for later use.
    Last edited by bakermom; 01-10-2013 at 08:01 AM.

I don't reuse foil either. My mother in law use to wash out plastic bags and hang them to dry on the clothes line and reuse them. I never did that either.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I read on somewhere to run your rotory cutter across a wad to sharpen your cutter. Have done this and it works. Need to remember it for scissors as well.

I reuse aluminum foil (AF) if its big enough, clean enough and not too crumpled. I actually do not use AF that much anymore. But I have discovered that if you wrap your celery and lettuce in AF it last longer. I have fresh celery from Thanksgiving in my fridge!! I am amazed. We use our lettuce too quickly for me to see if it works as well.
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

I will reuse it or put in recycle bin. I understand not all recycle places take it, but our county does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    But I have discovered that if you wrap your celery and lettuce in AF it last longer. I have fresh celery from Thanksgiving in my fridge!!
    YES!!! Celery in foil stays fresh and crisp! I'll have to try lettuce and spinach next. Maybe what I'll do is line those plastic boxes the spinach comes in with foil and see if that works. I love raw spinach.

Quote Originally Posted by primbears View Post
    I read on somewhere to run your rotory cutter across a wad to sharpen your cutter. Have done this and it works. Need to remember it for scissors as well.
    It is what I use mine for, in cooking I use it very rarely but do use it for my cutters n scissors, so I buy these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealapack-...6053%26ps%3D54 it may sound expensive, although I get mine a lot cheaper from a local discount store, but saves so much waste by wrong cutting, it is also a heavier gauge than most foil.

I will reuse plastic freezer bags or storage bags after washing carefully and drying. I will save clean foil to reuse. I, too, remember when we saved the string from the chicken feed sacks and reused for stuff. I am, unfortunately, still pretty stingy with what I throw away. Old habits die hard. Out trash can is always the one with the lid that fits on garbage day while everyone else's on the street is bulging.

I have never used reused foil with food product where it will directly touch it. I reuse it fairly quickly so that is not a lot of it laying around in a drawer. I don't wrap meat in it to freeze. I learned to freeze chicken and other meats on a cookie sheet. I cover the bottom of the sheet with wax paper and then cover the top of the meat with wax paper. After it has frozen, I put the meat (without the wax paper) into a plastic bag. Then I put that plastic bag into another plastic bag. If I need to label what is in the bag, I write it on a piece of paper to be put between the two bags. Never gotten sick either. I am going to try the foil with the celery and spinach.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast