Aluminum foil reuse

Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Disposables are part of my grocery budget so I don't reuse them. I save leftover food and fabric scraps. That's about all I save for reuse.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM

Interesting topic. I have saved mine but then end up throwing it away because it would get ripped in the drawer. I use it seldom.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM

I use ziplock bag over again as long as raw meat was not in them, Don't really use the foil over. But I dont see anything wrong as long as not exposed to insects outside or the raw meat issue again
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by dojo36 View Post
i was born in 1936 so i grew up during world war II. we didn't even have aluminum foil, we were so poor, with a family of nine. must not have been very good birth control back then either, lol. but like someone else said, it's hard to break old habits, so I reuse almost everything but kleenex and toilet paper. worn out socks and t shirts work so good for polishing furniture. i can make one t shirt last for about 15 years - wear it the first 5, sleep in it the next 5, then cut it up for rags the last 5.
I was born in 1936 too - and yes old habits are hard to break. I don't know when they started making aluminum foil but I don't remember it from when I was young. Only thing I remember was waxed paper for sandwiches, etc. Can't remember plastic bowls until later - maybe in late 40s or 50s then all I remember is Tupperware.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM

i throw it away as well as plastic bags. i figure its worth it to ensure cleanliness. just like plastic forks and plastic plates and cups; why reuse them if you bought them to save time and then wash them you are saving nothing in the end and it gives me less time in the kitchen!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM

I am like most, will wash and re-use if not too dirty. Foil and plastic bags. I rarely buy either one.
I do it mostly for ecological reasons, although economical as well - I can't see putting some wrapped candy in a small ziploc bag, throwing it out when it is empty, and then buying more bags.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM

I also reuse my tinfoil if it is clean and I also wash my ziplock bags. Have never gotten sick as so many people tell me I will. Been 50 years will it happen soon?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM

To me this is the path to hoarderville. I come from neat hoarders but hoarders none the less. My Grandmother saved every butter bowl, cottage cheese container, cool whip container, styrofoam meat tray, pot pie tin, etc, etc. And we're not even going to talk about my Grandfather's epic junk piles.

It has taken several years of concerted effort, "they'll make more, I can buy it" to stave off the hoarder tendencies.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM

Be careful with alu foil, I rarely use it since I read an article once that it was linked to "alzheimer" and I had several people telling me that family who had alzheimer already at an early age used to use lots of alufoil, pots and pans in alu, etc....
Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Yes. I definitely reuse. But, I learned it from my Mom, grandmothers and great grandmothers. I wash and reuse ziplock bags, butter tubs (you can crochet tops on these for little drawstring purses for the little ones), I cut cereal boxes down and reuse for patterns, I cut boxes down and cover with reuses foil for coke boards (instead of waiting for my plates to be returned) aluminum pie pans, bread bags, plastic cutlery (I paid for it, might as well reuse it). I keep the extra napkins from restaurants (they throw them away), Milk jugs (great for beach buckets and we freeze water in them during the summer for the coolers), old dish towels go in the garage for wasking the cars, old towels get repurposed as rags and I have used them as "batting" in coasters and placemats. Waste Not Want Not!