The Andy Griffith Show

Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 AM

I didn't really watch Andy Griffith growing up, but my husband did. He has recorded most of the episodes and we watch them when there is no better alternative on TV which seems like most of the time. I have become a HUGE fan. It's actually surprising how sophisticated the dialog/humor is considering the time. Really good clean humor too :-)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

My Dad hated television and never kept a comment to himself. He said that Andy Griffith was nothing but a hick. Well, yeah, Dad he was! So what? He also hated Ozzie Nelson and said why does he never go to work? My Dad was a quiet man but he sure had no use for TV
As far as the shows go- I haven't seen them in so long I don't have an answer but they were just cute shows. When I was growing up nothing had to be censored. One of my favs was My Three Sons and I went on to have 3 sons of my own! But luckily I was in the picture to help them grow up lol. I adored that show.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I love them all
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM

I agree Solstice3 - I just love them all!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:24 PM

I enjoy the shows, but it has always bothered me that so many of the shows back then featured motherless children. Mothers weren't needed. Andy Griffith, My Three Sons, Bachelor Father, Bonanza, Family Affair, and maybe others.

Leslie
Old 06-21-2018, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Leslie, you're right about that! Never put it together like you just did.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM

I liked them all too; I find myself watching a LOT of the 'old' shows (my/our age is showing); Matlock; Perry Mason (was my favorite and he's on 4 times a day here - for now); In The Heat of the Night; All in the Family (SO politically UNcorrect) but such a funny show. I miss the old 'clean' shows that always had a good message; even the Rifleman always had a good moral at the end of the show; seems all of the shows now are just the total opposite. NOT my cup of tea.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I couldn't even tell you what's on TV. We watch MLB ( so we can watch the Yankees) Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
I never have to sit through commercials. I have no use for cable but my husband likes the news so we have it but that's it for cable watching.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
It must be the very first episode: the one where Andy's housekeeper is getting married and moving away, and Aunt Bee comes to live with them. She doesn't do anything right, but at the end, when she is getting in the truck to leave, Opie comes running out and says, "I don't want her to leave, what will she do....she can't fish or play baseball...She needs me!"
That is one of my very favorites. I have too many that are my favorites. The Christmas one where they have Christmas dinner at the courthouse, Barney plays Santa and the mean guy (can't think of his name) commits crimes to get arrested so he can be part of their Christmas.
Another of my favorites: any episodes with the Darlings. Also, where Andy and Barney go into an empty house to get Opie's baseball. Like I said, I have many favorites.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Wow, Leslie, you're right about that! Never put it together like you just did.
I don't know how I forgot The Rifleman. I watch it 6 days a week on MeTV. Even the stories within the show involved mostly motherless children, usually boys. I still like the show, though. The acting on it was so good. And the show was one of the only ones I can think of where a parent and child told each other they loved one another.

Leslie