Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anita Goodesign Embroidery class >

Anita Goodesign Embroidery class

Anita Goodesign Embroidery class

Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Anita Goodesign Embroidery class

I have been sewing a quilting for many years, but thought I would like to branch out into machine embroidery. I have a new Bernina 770 QE I am just getting started on, and a friend sold me a 700 series embroidery module. A sewing and vacuum business is offering a 2 day class to learn about machine embroidery. I was told that it didn't matter what kind of machine you had. They do not carry Bernina. The class is $99, which seems reasonable eno0ugh, includes a USB stick with 200 designs, educational tutorials in a binder. If memory serves me, you don't take your machine, but I can find out for sure about that tomorrow.

Has anyone taken this class and know where it it worthwhile or not? I am an absolute beginner. My own classes on the machine have not started, and I don't want to be confused it this class does not transfer over to a Bernina.

Barb
Old 09-12-2018, 11:56 AM

I think that the concept is the same for all machines, just imagine how difficult it would be if every machine was comepltely different. If you’re concerned I would reach out to the person offering the class, but IMHO you would do well to at least brush up and experiment a bit, it really is fun and not as intimidating as it may seem.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:17 PM

The classes are fun! It's a great way to meet other stitchers and make new friends. Check with the local dealer as they usually supply (sponsor) the machines. It is usually an opportunity to purchase a new machine as there are event packages. Buy a machine and get the designs.

If they have the machines available, the designs will be loaded in the machine format.

I suggest you check with the dealer. Have a class on your machine before the event to get familiar with your settings. There are always helpers available at the event if you get stuck on the project.

Make sure the designs available in your machine format. Some companies don't write for the Bernina format. My machine takes PES files. The AG designs that you purchase have all the different formats on the CD. Again, question if your format is available. I don't know.

The designs are offered at discounts at the events. Plus they will give the opportunity to purchase packages so you receive all the past designs plus future designs for the next year.

The events offer you the chance to learn some new techniques; in the hoop (ITH) and how to do the appliques, tack down, trim fabric, etc.

Our local dealer has a couple of events each year with AG. I've been to about six events now so lots of designs. They are always fun!

Post here if you have questions or need help.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 09-12-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:15 PM

I have gone to the one my local store puts on for about 4 years. It's is a lot of fun. They set up their machines and you use them. The instructor from Anita's is great, lots of fun. They do give you the free designs, a nice binder (that was new last year) and give away a lot of prizes. They furnish everything you need to make several projects. I do recommend taking a good sharp pair of small scissors--the ones we are provided aren't always the best! Ours for this year isn't until the first weekend of November.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 AM

I've taken several of their classes and you more than get your money's worth. Most dealers supply the machines for the classes. I know all the ones I've taken the machines have been supplies. All you have to bring is yourself. Although I would recommend taking some good scissors. The ones they supply haven't been the greatest IMHO. Have fun.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Anita Goodesign does have files that are for Bernina. The problem I found going to classes where they do not sell Bernina is when they give the "free" design flash drive for the designs being taught it is for the format that their machines use. Happens even when I ask if the designs are art format.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Thank sJens for the update. I couldn't remember what format the files were on the USB. That is a good question to ask.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:05 PM

while you are waiting for class to start, here are some free warm up videos you can watch specifically for bernina beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...inners+bernina
Old 09-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Rhonda K, Anita Goodesign does have Art files on the flash drives that are for sale. (Multi format drives) And the designs are well done and work up really nice.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 AM

I've done them every year since 2015. I always manage to learn something. They have some of the nicest and funniest reps that come to them to host. I love their designs. Around here they are hosted by Brother rep stores so that's the machines we use. They are the latest machines out and if you buy a machine its at a great price. They normally bring lots of extra CD's of designs that are also for sale at great prices plus the rep store sells thread, etc at reduced price. I love going also to see old friends that I normally don't see unless I'm at one of the events.