Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying telemarketer phone calls

Smile Annoying telemarketer phone calls

I finally had the presence of mind to annoy the telemarketer! It went like this:
    My phone rang and I answered, "Hello." A voice with a heavy accent said, "Is this Ms. Wendy R?" I said, "How may I help you?" He said (and I kid you not!) "You had bladder mesh surgery." I replied, "I did?" He repeated his statement and I said, "Did I? When?" He said, "No no no ... You had bladder mesh surgery." And I replied, "I did?!?!" Well, after about six times around, he just hung up!! And I did a happy dance! After all the years that we have had to deal with these annoying phone calls, I finally got to turn the tables.

And before someone jumps on me about it, I know he was just doing his job, but it still felt good. :-)
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would've done the happy dance too. And I have!

Best one I've done, because I usually think of what I could have said *after* the call is over! Years back, a psychic hotline network called and she said her thing, then asked me if I would be interested in a psychic reading over the phone.

I replied, "well, don't you know?" hahahahahahaha!
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Blog Entries
    I got one the other day at 8:15. Some one must have put my name on a list, b/c i'm getting about 5 calls a day now.
    now when i answer i say "start talking, i don't have all day" and they hang up on me now.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    When I get application in the mail for a credit card with a postage paid envelope...I fill that envelope with as much junk paper as I can and send it back them, let them pay for that postage. I was getting them weekly not anymore. When I get those annoying sales calls, as soon as they start talking I lay the phone down and let them talk, eventually they hang up but I don't. They can't make another phone call until I hang up so I let the phone sit for about 10-15 minutes. The phone calls are getting fewer. They have removed me from their lists because I cause them problems.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Quote Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
    When I get application in the mail for a credit card with a postage paid envelope...I fill that envelope with as much junk paper as I can and send it back them, let them pay for that postage. I was getting them weekly not anymore. When I get those annoying sales calls, as soon as they start talking I lay the phone down and let them talk, eventually they hang up but I don't. They can't make another phone call until I hang up so I let the phone sit for about 10-15 minutes. The phone calls are getting fewer. They have removed me from their lists because I cause them problems.
    Debbie Marie - This is hilarious - a lady after my own heart!

Quote Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
    I have done the same thing with the credit card thing or anything else that comes with a postage paid envelope. I stuff the envelope until it won't hold anymore and send it back to them.

I have never laid the phone down, but my late 92-year-old father-in-law did that all the time - just let the telemarketer talk until he realized no one was listening!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches;
    Debie Marie - This is hilarious - a lady after my own heart!
    My mother used to do that, too. We all thought she was very clever.

What ever happened to the do not call list! I have found if I lay the phone down just right it feeds back on them with a screech -- Sorry, I don't care if they are "just doing their jobs". I don't want their calls!

The do not call list is useless for many of these calls. They are calling from outside of the US using spoofed numbers. I received a call a couple days ago that caller ID listed as my own phone number. I'm am also tired of thieves harassing me via the phone trying to steal my personal information. Yay to those of you who fought back!
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

My solution to the problem is to just not answer the phone. I have every number associated with us listed with every do not call list. There is also a service - free - called 'nomorobo' which also helps. I was having particular issues with a specific telemarketer tonthe point I finally took the time to find a person to speak with at the FCC. His advice was to not even answer the call. If you engage them, they are more apt to call repeatedly. I also have my caller id visible on the tv screen so it is easier for me to see. If its not a number that is familiar, I don't answer...it goes to the machine. If it ends up that I do need to speak to that person, I can still pick up the call.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have not had a home phone land line for over 12 years and I never receive these kinds of calls on my cell.

I *have* noticed I've received a few text messages from weird #s, usually with weird random letters in the message. I just text reply with "remove" and they seem to stop.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

We keep our phone on MUTE, so we don't have to deal with them. They never leave a message of course!
    Lori

Wow! I've gotten some good ideas from this thread. LOL
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I tried to sell him insurance , all I. Heard was click.

I had a telemarketer tell me I had filled out a card for some dumb prize in Myrtle Beach on a day when I was in Ohio. He kept telling me I was mistaken. I kept saying no, I know where i was that day because blah, blah, blah.

It would have been funny except for how incredibly stupid he thought I was!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

This is the best response yet!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I have one.... I got a call from a woman asking for Steven ***....i said, "sorry, you have a wrong number" and hung up. The phone rang again immediately. I answered and the woman said "you hung up on me- i want to talk to Steven ***" I said "yes, i hung up because there is no Steven here."
    Her reply...."Well I think there is !!"
    I won't tell you the rest - suffice to say it went down hill from there before I hung up again.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    I mail back junk mail all the time, however, I find that I still get advertising. The other day, my husband got a letter that would give him better health coverage than he has now. I called their company and told them "I don't think so - my husband died last year and is Heaven and they don't worry about health insurance anymore. They don't have to worry about anything anymore. Please take his name off your list AGAIN!" Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 08-24-2014 at 04:22 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    A friend recently told me to tell the caller "Well, I can either buy my medications or do what you want, what do you think I should do?" So far it is working for me. hehehe
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

All my telemarketers are recordings that you have to punch a number to get to a real person. Get a call most everyday if not twice. I've punched the number a couple of times to tell them to take me off their list and that I'm on the "no call" list but doesn't seem to help. They're also somehow rigging their phone line thru another person's phone number so it looks like they are calling instead of them. A couple of times my own phone number showed on the Caller ID but they miss spelled my last name. I've had to block my phone number now. Even had one come up as Skype user and a 000-000-0000 too. What will they think next? Can't report them cause you can't get their real phone number. I usually just let the phone ring these days.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Had a friend who let them go through the whole spiel and then hesitated, stammered, and said, "I don't know what you want I'll have to ask my guardian." They quickly hung up.

how fun -- good for you -- my husband's favorite is the one where they say that they are in our area and he asks what area that might be -- I finally got a real info call about the fact that some agency would be spraying for mosquitoes to cut down the spread of West Nile virus in our area and I listened instead of politely refusing their services or hanging up if it is computer generated, my usual actions -- I know that they are trying to do a job, but it is irritating to get so many of the calls every day
    diane

I love caller id. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

It took me a little time to find this on youtube but it is hilarious and a terrific way to deal with a telemarketer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpzLxYnpG4
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I answer and just keep saying who? Who? What? Then they hang up. These calls are so annoying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast