Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another Scary Thing About Meat >

Another Scary Thing About Meat

Another Scary Thing About Meat

Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Quiltmaker, I know what you mean. You really do have to educate yourself.
I also get tired of scares and stuff like that but so much of our food is really bad.
Our immune systems are there to help us but I really try to watch what I put in my body. I'm the only one who can. :)

Several years ago my liver enzymes were elevated and long story short I was eating wayyyyy too much sugar. I changed my eating habits and my enzymes returned to normal. It was scary for me but good thing I changed. Now it's only the occasional coke or pepsi. I still eat sweets but far less and I feel a lot better. I'm not fanatical but I swear my liver enyzme tests scared the heck out of me!!
My body just doesn't handle all that stuff. Kind of off topic, sorry!! :D
I sure understand you. Have you tried Agave for a sugar substitute. It has very little reaction on your blood sugar levels. We eat Paleo and Gluten free here and it was a major change for us but we feel wonderful and our bloodwork is about as good as one can get it. It's amazing what one can get used to when they are trying for optimum health results using the most natural ways we are able to... not that we're where we want to be as it is a commited process. And yes we do cheat on occasion but after changing your habits it is amazing that what we used to love just doesn't seem to taste as good anymore. We're all different so what works for some doesn't work for others. :-D
No I haven't. I need to ask my "mad scientist" DH about it. I've heard of it.
I also agree with you that the more you DON'T indulge in junk the more we don't want it. In fact if I eat certain things I used to love my body reacts and I'm not exaggerating!
Our bodies know what we need- at least mine does. It lets me know!
My DH is making gluten-free brownies and cookies right now. He is selling them locally and hopes to get them marketed online. They are unbelievably yummy but I don't eat them much. If I start with sweets it's like an alcoholic with alcohol. I just can't stop! It's definitely an addiction with me :(
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
We try to buy from local farmers whenever possible and only those who don't give them antibiotics.
I had been buying the antibiotic-free beef and chicken, but of course restaurants don't, and of course it costs more.

To whoever used the term "nanny state," it isn't a law that meat animals be given antibiotics. And I cannot see why anyone would oppose requiring that food say what is in it on the labels.

For example, almost all regular table salt is now made with an aluminum compound "for anti-caking." Oh, please! I'd rather have to shake my salt loose than ingest aluminum. Without the labelling requirements, though, we'd never guess it was there.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Administrator

i think most of us would agree that we'd like to know what we're eating.

that isn't my point.

i just don't worry about germs on meat because i don't eat it raw. i also don't lick the counter, cutting board or knife when i've finished the prep.

problem solved.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i think most of us would agree that we'd like to know what we're eating.

that isn't my point.

i just don't worry about germs on meat because i don't eat it raw. i also don't lick the counter, cutting board or knife when i've finished the prep.

problem solved.
Not sure your post was the one I was replying to. But in any case, no one eats meat raw. However, I do prefer my burgers and steaks medium rare.

The point is, while I'm sure we all take care to keep our meat safe to eat, there are times when food poisoning occurs. And when it does, if the bacteria are the drug-resistant kind, that could kill you.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I read all about the meat and antibiotics too....really scary!! I trully believe that these additives are the underlying cause of alot of the cancer, autism, and other problems that are just skyrocketing in numbers. I for one am living with an incurable form of leukemia. If they cannot find the cause, then that cannot design a cure I was told. Sad what is happening, and I fear for the next generations. Scary that I could contract a drug resistant form of bacteria from handling meat that I want to prepare for a meal. My immune system wouldn't be able to handle it on a good day, never mind now that it is compromised. We need to pray that they can ammend these problems before it is too late.