Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Antique Glassware, Recognize This?

Antique Glassware, Recognize This?

Name:  IMG_2442 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2067
Size:  653.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2447 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2049
Size:  574.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2443resized50%.jpg.JPG
Views: 2037
Size:  709.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2446 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2070
Size:  645.8 KB
    Does anyone know what this is? It's about 10" tall, has 5 little glasses, and on the bottom is "34" written in blue. I think it's at least 50 yrs old.

Maybe for liquor. My grandfather had one and he kept brandy in his. I looks like someone did some painting on it.
    Last edited by misspriss; 02-04-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Before I saw your "about 50 yrs old", I said to myself, flashback to the 60s!
    So we agree on the time period.

Why did I remember??? ... my sister got about 4 or 5 sets of them as wedding gifts. That was during a time when you were thankful for your wedding gifts, accepted them, thanked profusely and chances are they were displayed (think: dust collectors) in your home. I was much younger, and I remember visiting and thinking how beautiful the gold and amber set was that she had received ........... proudly sitting in the centre of her stereo cabinet And no, never ... just the pretty dust collector!

The 34 is probably just the code of who did the work or the batch/day that set was made. Not uncommon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

**correction**
    Since I posted, I was thinking that your glasses look as though they might be larger than a liqueur glass. Hard to tell from a photo as to the size.

Perhaps sherry? or another sort of alcohol?
    Regardless, it would be for some of an imbibement!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

At first I thought water, but there are too many glasses. I think it was intended for alcohol...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Yep, sherry set.
    See these images.... https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...B0QsAQ&dpr=1.5

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Don't know what it is, but it really appeals to me. Love that vintage look!! Very nice set.

Sherry sets were very popular at one time and this is what it is. I don't know why sherry sets were popular, sherry tastes terrible to me. LOL
    June

Blog Entries
    The pontil at the bottom looks like it may have been blown, but not sure. It may be Italian, Czech, Bohemian. They aren't very valuable, but they are absolutely lovely. I gave my sister two vases in green with the satin finish, hand painted with the gilt around the edges. It is a lovely set. I also believe one glass is missing - sets like that were made in even numbers. It is lovely. Check the library for antique decanters - Look also, if they still print it, Kovals antique price book. There are a lot of pictures in that. I have several pieces that were hand painted The paint is fired on the glass. Also it looks like there is a satin finish on the glasses and the decanter. It is a lovely piece. You might be able to find another glass for it. Hey, it's a good day to surf for Antique decanters and matching glasses. Good luck to you. Edie.
    Last edited by Edie; 02-05-2015 at 04:13 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I have a purple with painted flowers and gold trim this was given to us as a wedding gift in 1959. Mine is for cordial liquor. Some are for wine which I believe yours is because it is larger then the one I have. Just enjoy, I have mine.
    Mia

Sherry is not a gulping drink, it is a sipping liqueur that has a very smooth taste.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Neighbor has couple of these sets. She likes her beverages, sherry included and has some right before she goes to bed. daughter says it's been a ritual since hubby passed away 20 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I had 7 sets of these. They were Italian, Czech,& Mexico . I collected them in the 60's We were stationed in Germany for 5 yrs 2 tours. Now My daughter & daughter-law get to dust . I kept 2 one Italian one Czech. They are beautiful & are for cordial liquor. Yours is very pretty!!!!
    Old Quilters never die they just go to pieces.!!!!!!I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ......

I have a set that I bought at a garage sale one time that is a dark amber with no hand painting. It stays behind glass doors to put off the dusting issue, and we don't use it for anything, but could. I think when the glasses are the size of shot glasses, as mine are, it's called a cordial set. These slightly bigger glasses with stems are for sherry. I'm pretty sure that when they were made for the European market 5 glasses were considered a set, but if made for export to the US, perhaps they might have 6 since we seem to prefer even numbers. In any case, I would not consider your set to have anything missing, and it's very pretty.

Looks like a sherry set to me. Some kind of liqueur, anyway.

Thanks, everyone. Lots of good comments here. I was thinking it was for some kind of alcoholic drink. It was my grandmothers and I'm sure it was a gift and NEVER EVER actually held alcohol because she was a teetotaler. But it was on display in her dining room for as long as she lived. Regret that I never thought to ask her about it and doubt my father's memory about if is accurate.

My first thought upon seeing these are.....Morroc pattern decanter set OR a Bohemian style.

Pretty!
    Last edited by nwm50; 02-08-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Left out done wording....
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Everyone I know got one of these sets for wedding presents in the late 60's and early 70's. Mostly kept on top of refrigerators gathering dust. They sure were pretty. Mine was red I think. Never saw anyone use one.