Ants!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 AM

I've heard you can put out some instant grits and they will haul it back to their home and everybody eats some and it swells up and kills them. Sounds kind of cruel!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 AM

The Terro that I have is from WalMart and I think most grocery stores sell it. It isn't doing anything for this batch of ants that I have. In fact, I think it's an aphrodesiac for this variety. When you spray the Ortho product, how much do you use? Is it hard on wood surfaces such as your baseboards.

My mom used to swear by Terro but it must not be the same as the product she used. Frankly, I don't care if those little creatures do explode. I've heard of using corn meal for them but these are so little that I wonder if they could carry that. When they are marching on my countertops and even across my plate on the table, they need to be gone whatever the means. Frustration!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 AM

I think it is Toro he uses. He puts it down for me so I didn't see the name. But Toro sounds familiar.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

The Ortho I have used is clear and when it dries you don't see it . So "should" be safe for hardwood floors. Also around the outside of my house I sprinkle Boric acid.. it is a white powder , keeps all kinds of critters from coming in and you can buy at Family Dollar.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 AM

Is it spelled "Terro"? I can't remember. DD has had them in her shower.

One drop on a piece of cardboard or paper inconspicuosly placed, and kills 'em dead.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM

I read an artical that said corn meal will kill them, slowly.... but it's not harmful to aminals & kids. Supposedly they can't digest it , so they eat it, and I don't know... die from it expanding in their bellys?????? I tried it in our back yard, I didn't put much out cuz' I didn't want to waste it if it didn't work.... they did haul it into the nest, I'd have to try it agin to say if it worked or not.... It's faster to use Diazinon (sp?) or Mathalizon (sp?)
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
We are being overtaken with itty-bitty ants. Can't find where they are coming from,seldom have a trail, but they are having a wonderful reunion at our house. Any suggestions on how to move them out of here? Terro only seems to feed them.
We don't have them in the house (knock on wood); in drought conditions, they are more likely to find a way indoors, BUT, living here in Georgia means living with anthills in my yard, particularly annoying in flower beds and around tree trunks. I googled ant repellant info. and there is quite a long list of suggestions as to how to keep them out of your house; you might want to google and read.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Get rid of any sugar stuff, bleach down the drains every night. Then spray, spary, and traps. I get them stupid critters every year, since my neighbor has a tree infested with them and they refuse to tear it down. Good Luck
Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Another idea just came to me. My son told me that cinnamon deters them. I never heard of it but it works for him. He sprinkles in around the areas.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by reneebobby
Get rid of any sugar stuff, bleach down the drains every night. Then spray, spary, and traps. I get them stupid critters every year, since my neighbor has a tree infested with them and they refuse to tear it down. Good Luck
GROSS!! Too bad they can't just stay at the neighbor's! :(