Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any garment sewers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
    I'm 57 & have been making my own clothes ever since & was 8. My Grandmother worked in the silk mills back in the early 1900's. She sewed her own clothes & taught me how. I'm small framed & back in the day you could not find clothes in my size. If they did fit they were too short. I wore a 6x all the way thru highschool! I had to alter everything or make my own. I sew/make everything except socks & underwear. I worked in a garment factory for 11 years. I make my own jeans just like factory, including the special rivets. I have a special rivet setter machine & found the factory rivets on line. I just finished a flannel shirt for myself. I never buy patterns. I use old clothes, rip them apart & make a pattern. I usually only take half the garment apart, make notes as I go & then make a pattern/with notes for future use. A seam ripper, a pencil & freezer wrap are my go to items. I have 5 machines - Bernina 830LE, Bernina 930, Sailrite 111, Bernina Serger 800DL & a BabyLock Coverstich machine.

Aside from making quilts (those I do go by a pattern, usually from a book or photo & make my own pattern) - I've also made motorcycle coats, recovered motorcycle seats, leather chaps, leather vests, drapes, jean shirts for my husband, dog beds, winter covers for my Purple Martin(birds) houses. I do embroidery too. As long as I can get it under the needle I can make it. I love sewing & it gives me that feeling that I have accompolished something when it's all done .

I also taught myself how to tool leather when I was a teenager. I did a lot of leather work back then & I still have all those tools. One day soon I will teach my husband, who recently retired, how to tool leather.

I so hate store clothes today. Most jeans for women are STRETCH & I hate stretch jeans. The fabrics they use today are terrible. The fabrics are not woven straight anymore, they pill/fuzz and/or just don't wash or wear well. The store clothes also have horrible sewing, many with no hems or they have holes ripped in them. If I want holes in my clothes I'll wear them out myself!

As long as my hands hold out I'll keep sewing anything & everything I can .
    I am like you, in that if it will go under the needle I will try to make it. The only thing I can add to your list of projects is I once had to relace a baseball catchers mitt. I figured it out, but have never wanted to try it again!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I started sewing garments in 4th grade and sewed for myself esp in high school. Gunny Sack dresses were popular when my girls were younger, so I've made lots of those. Also sewed for my grands until they got older and mostly want store bought. I have been collecting patterns and fabric lately and want to start sewing for myself again. I've quilted for almost 20 years now and love it, but sure enjoyed sewing too.

I'm trying! I spend more time with my seam ripper trying to modify clothes I'm making for myself. :-)
    :-)
    CAS

Started sewing when I was about 10. Sewed for myself, sisters and friends; did draperies and sofa slip covers; my wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses. Then it was clothes for my eight kids, boys and girls clothes. On to square dance dresses, curtains and costumes. Then I got into quilting, and don't need much new clothes anymore.

Now if I'm not quilting, I'm patching and mending. Love doing that. Today I replaced a zipper in my granddaughters jacket. I've never seen a zipper installed like that one was. Luckily I didn't rip the old one all the way out before I started on the new one. I never would have figured it out. But we got 'er done!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

i started sewing as a kid, as so many others did. i used to make clothes for my daughters, when they were little. "sister" dresses were always on the machine for easter. later, my job took more and more time, so i sewed less and less, but did make my oldest daughter's wedding dress--without one spot of blood from my fingers, to my endless surprise! i've since sewed as necessary--mostly mending for the family, etc, but when my youngest was in her mid-teens, she and her friends developed a "new" interest--in the renaissance festival. i was conscripted by most of them to make a work outfit for them, because every one of them ended up working there, for at least a while. i ended up reviving my old interest in it, as well, and have sewn for myself, friends and family, and been a part of it for 20 years. now, i sew quilty things, mend for the family, again, and when the festival ramps up every year, i'll be found on the grounds, hanging out, being useful where i can, and enjoying my annual trip to my own "brigadoon". (i was known as the "sewing gran of renntopia", online, an honorary title for an imaginary kingdom.)
    Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 02-04-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

I love all those beautiful clothes at the renaissance festival. My grandchildren are part of that and their mother made things for them. Some of my children and their families meet there every year.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I have been sewing since age 7 when my dad bought my mom a Singer treadle. A neighbor showed my mom how to use, she did not do much but she did let me play! When I went off to nursing school, she gave the machine away thinking I would love a nice modern machine after graduation. (I was devastated and still wish I had the old machine) But my MiL and Hubby gave me one at our marriage. I made clothes for my son and sister who is only 1 year older than him. Then along came the daughter. Made wedding gowns and all attendants gowns. Started making antique reproduction dolls and made period clothing for them as well as re-enactor uniforms for my hubb(civil war).
    Started quilting when I took a P/T job in a fabric store during my return to college. Have taught sewing, quilting and now clothing.
    I mainly do purses and jackets. (I paid for a full semester of college by making tote bags)
    I have a great studio in my house that used to be a dining room. My wonderful man is so handy: he put dodwn hardwood floor while I was away on a retrerat. Made my sewing-cutting table. I love every day I can spend in here.
    I have done some welted cushions with hidden zippers for several women as well as some alterations.
    I will attempt many projects as long as I am able to get in front of my machine.
    Wow, thanks for asking and reading.
    PS my avatar is a second Robert Kaufman fabric that was selected to travel with the Quilting and Sewing Expo
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

I too make a few garments now and then. I recently made myself a mock wrap dress which I am pretty pleased with. It was a simple pattern. I've made some clothes for the granddaughter which is a challenge because she is 3000 miles away and my daughter in law keeps losing the cloth tape measures I leave there. She uses a metal one of all things. I have made many Halloween costumes for the three grands. I used to make most of my clothes back in the day.
    Alyce

I started out making garments for years. I have three grown daughters and I wish I kept track of all the things I made. Then about 15 years ago I start making items to sell as a vender at craft and art shows. Just in the past 6 yrs or so I have gotten back to quilting. I did some quilting about 28 yrs ago and found out things in the quilting world have really changed since then. I still make aprons and purses and placemats and lots more to sell at shows. I only do a few each year.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Starting sewing on a Singer treadle at 7 or 8. Sewed most of my clothes until college. Sewed my prom dresses, bridesmaid dress for my brother's wedding, my niece's wedding dress. Don't sew much for myself any more. Quilting us way too much fun!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Wow! Great responses! Thank you!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Same story here! Started making clothes in high school out of necessity, and when my boys were little I sewed all their shorts, and sweats. Then came the Zubaz's!!! When my son played baseball they did not have uniform pants to fit him...made those also. Did my fair share of curtains and drapes. Then I just fell out of doing it. Restarted quilting several years ago and do mostly that now. This past winter I replaced the zipper in DH's favorite jacket, and just today finished alterations on my sister's scrubs. I definitely prefer quilting!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2