Any garment sewers?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I got back into sewing garments for myself after I could afford a dress form, say, five years ago. Mostly jackets because I just love them. Having a form to alter the pattern before making it is like night and day to trying to fit yourself blind.

I also make clothes occasionally for my nine year old niece. It is very fun with the fabrics out today. Vogue and Mccalls are my favorite patterns.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-02-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM

I sew all of my clothing, which is mainly linen jackets, tunics, and pants. I buy from a few independent pattern companies that have designs and drafting that work for me. I love quilting, too, but find that it is expensive in time and materials, so I only make about one or two quilts a year. I do have to switch my sewing machine and other equipment around to quilt or make clothing, so I don't do both at once.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

I'm almost 57, and have been 'garment' sewing since I was 8-9,then 4-H

I made most of my clothes jr high on. In 8th grade we had some goofy awards thing, I got '8th grade best dressed girl.' I made my wedding dress, and when my kids were little I worked in an alterations shop. The things I learned there are invaluable.

Now, I probably sew garments 65% of the time, quilting and home decor the rest.
For years I've thought I'd like to try to make jeans that actually look like jeans. I'm on my second pair now, refining the fit, and have decided I will ALWAYS wear jeans I made from now on.
Who would've thought a contoured waistband, though undetectable to anyone else, would make such a difference in the fit. They are the MOST comfortable jeans I have ever owned!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM

I started sewing when I was in grade school. Since we never had any money, I sewed clothing for myself, my daughter, and even a few things for my husband. It's been quite a while since I made any clothing though.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 PM

*** Yep, I sew clothes & do alterations.
*** I have been sewing since I was 10 and have
*** had my own sewing machine since I was 12.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM

I started sewing clothes in high school home ec. I switched to quilting but am now doing some of both. I love switching back and forth. Hubby just surprised me with a serger for an early Valentines Day. Can't wait to make my next dress.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM

I started sewing garments. I used to sew all my dresses. I designed and sewed my wedding dress and my brides maids dresses. Have sewn a few prom dresses for the nieces. I don't sew very many garments anymore, I can buy them so much cheaper then making them. I never miss an episode of Project Runway (and all the offshoots) though.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 AM

I started with garment sewing at 12. Sewed most of my clothing until I had children. Then I sewed for them until they were in second or third grade. I still make clothing occasionally. I find that some of the garment making construction skills helps in understanding some of the quilt patterns.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 AM

I used to sew when I was younger. I sewed a little when my boys were small and made my niece her first communion dress. I got into quilting but still do some garment construction for a couple of local theater groups. So few people sew these days that any one with any talent is useful. It is also fun to see something you have made up on stage in front of hundreds of people.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:39 AM

I've been making garments since I was 12, still make a few for myself. I don't like most of the patterns available today as they don't fit right and are a pain to sew. I'm a plus size petite, so there are major alterations needed to make anything fit. For me its an exercise in frustration.
Quilting is more fun.
Sharon