Any garment sewers?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:09 PM

I love all those beautiful clothes at the renaissance festival. My grandchildren are part of that and their mother made things for them. Some of my children and their families meet there every year.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM

I have been sewing since age 7 when my dad bought my mom a Singer treadle. A neighbor showed my mom how to use, she did not do much but she did let me play! When I went off to nursing school, she gave the machine away thinking I would love a nice modern machine after graduation. (I was devastated and still wish I had the old machine) But my MiL and Hubby gave me one at our marriage. I made clothes for my son and sister who is only 1 year older than him. Then along came the daughter. Made wedding gowns and all attendants gowns. Started making antique reproduction dolls and made period clothing for them as well as re-enactor uniforms for my hubb(civil war).
Started quilting when I took a P/T job in a fabric store during my return to college. Have taught sewing, quilting and now clothing.
I mainly do purses and jackets. (I paid for a full semester of college by making tote bags)
I have a great studio in my house that used to be a dining room. My wonderful man is so handy: he put dodwn hardwood floor while I was away on a retrerat. Made my sewing-cutting table. I love every day I can spend in here.
I have done some welted cushions with hidden zippers for several women as well as some alterations.
I will attempt many projects as long as I am able to get in front of my machine.
Wow, thanks for asking and reading.
PS my avatar is a second Robert Kaufman fabric that was selected to travel with the Quilting and Sewing Expo
Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I too make a few garments now and then. I recently made myself a mock wrap dress which I am pretty pleased with. It was a simple pattern. I've made some clothes for the granddaughter which is a challenge because she is 3000 miles away and my daughter in law keeps losing the cloth tape measures I leave there. She uses a metal one of all things. I have made many Halloween costumes for the three grands. I used to make most of my clothes back in the day.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:31 PM

I started out making garments for years. I have three grown daughters and I wish I kept track of all the things I made. Then about 15 years ago I start making items to sell as a vender at craft and art shows. Just in the past 6 yrs or so I have gotten back to quilting. I did some quilting about 28 yrs ago and found out things in the quilting world have really changed since then. I still make aprons and purses and placemats and lots more to sell at shows. I only do a few each year.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Starting sewing on a Singer treadle at 7 or 8. Sewed most of my clothes until college. Sewed my prom dresses, bridesmaid dress for my brother's wedding, my niece's wedding dress. Don't sew much for myself any more. Quilting us way too much fun!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 AM

Wow! Great responses! Thank you!
sandy
Old 02-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Same story here! Started making clothes in high school out of necessity, and when my boys were little I sewed all their shorts, and sweats. Then came the Zubaz's!!! When my son played baseball they did not have uniform pants to fit him...made those also. Did my fair share of curtains and drapes. Then I just fell out of doing it. Restarted quilting several years ago and do mostly that now. This past winter I replaced the zipper in DH's favorite jacket, and just today finished alterations on my sister's scrubs. I definitely prefer quilting!!