Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any guinea pig owners here? >

Any guinea pig owners here?

Any guinea pig owners here?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM

When my son & his wife married, she had gp's and I had never been around them. They are so cute and I love the noises they make.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM

I used to raise the long haired (Peruvian) guinea pigs for show. Funny how they originated in Peru as a short haired food (yes I said food!) animal and short haired version is called the English Short Hair! the Peruvian Long Hair was developed in ENGLAND!!! They also can't store vitamin D. The only animals that can't are guinea pigs, wart hogs, and humans! LOL If they don't get enough vitamin D they can lose the use of their hind legs (reversable with liquid D) and then they will die if not given it. With proper diet it isn't a problem but just be aware of it. I loved mine too and they are just great pets!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Our daughter's friends family finally concented to a pet so got a 2 month old female from the humane society. They recently went on vacation came home and when their daughter sid there was another one in the cage they said no must just be fur. Turned out she was pregnant. Now they are seeking a new home for the baby so when he is of age they can rehome him so they do not have another incident
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM

When my sailor was about 3, he had a pet guinea pig, that he named 'Fudge Ripple' It was the color of, you guessed it, fudge ripple ice cream.
It was so darn cute seeing those 2 together. We had some sort of board game that had inch high plastic letters of the alphabet. One day, I went out to the sun room, where
Fudge Ripple lived, saw him on the floor, with Ben down there too. He was using those letters and when asked "What'cha doing?" I was told "I'm teaching Fudge Ripple to read, and first he has to learn the alphabet. We're going to be on 'stupid pet tricks' on David Letterman"

OMG, it was so cute.

Warning, do not read the rest if Fudge Ripple dying will bother you

One day, Fudge Ripple died. It was the middle of winter, the ground was frozen, there was no way to have a proper 'funeral' and he was too big to flush down the toilet, as my oldest son suggested.
So, we put Fudge Ripple where Fudge Ripple belongs, in the freezer! He was wrapped well in plastic, but it was clear plastic, just there until the ground thawed and we could bury him. Trouble is, I didn't keep the freezer as neat and organized as it should be, and sometimes, when the door was opened, out fell Fudge Ripple onto the floor. He made a preety good THUMP
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM

we got what we thought to be 2 of the same sex but found nerlin became a merlet. so we had the whole family and loved them. they are family orientated animals, they can now be nuetered, they get lonely with only one.you can only have one boar in the same pen. they say life expectatsy is 5 years but merlet and dulie lived to be about ten. lettuce is not very good for them apples and carrots are for their dialy treat time otherwise they have guinnea pig pellet food for them for their main diet, it's not expensive. also we made some wood tunnels just make sure it is a natural wood that isn't treated. also ramp are good too. otherwise they just love to be loved, i always wore a apron that was just for them and also for excerise block off a area in the hall for to play with.or a childs swimming pool worked good just NO water they don't swim. enjoy your new baby.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Power Poster

For those who like reading and Guinea Pigs...try getting some copies of "Olga Da Polga" by Michael Bond (of Paddington Bear fame). I remember reading the "Olga" stories when I was a kid....very fun and cute..there are several in the series and the illustrations are gorgeous. Not many books have a girl Guinea Pig as the star.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:06 AM

We keep a small dish of guinea pig food for her. It has pellets and other small crunchy things in it. She is picky for a piggy. We have tried apples, grapes, etc and she is not crazy about them at all. Miss Piggy will nibble a bit on baby carrots only. She will not eat regular carrots. She loves romaine lettuce, so that is what we buy for her daily treat. She does chew on her chewy blocks. She also has salt lick thingy that is attached to her cage by her water bottle.

We are getting her a new and bigger cage. The one we got from the pet store just doesn't seem very big even though we paid a big price for it. One thing we have to watch her carefully around is hair! Older DD has very long hair and she will chew a piece off in a few seconds.

Her toe nails look long and probably should be cut. We need to find out about that also.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Hi Sheri,

We had 2 guineas when my son was small. I love them! They liked to swim in the bath, celery, broccoli stalks, apples and alfalfa. They got to know the sound of the fridge door opening and used to whistle for food when they heard it! They like to gnaw on branches from apple trees too. Make great pets, they love being handled and don't bite, teased our tom cat by jumping on his tail.

Jeanne
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Actually, it's vitamin C they don't store, not vitamin D as stated in a previous post.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Not true that you cannot keep males together! It's very possible, I have had 2 boars together many times. Depends on the personality of the pigs.