Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader)

I really like optical illusion quilts, and I want to try my hand at making one. However, I travel for work, and can only bring hand piecing stuff with me.

I put together a tutorial for how to strip piece one of these quilts and need someone to tell me if there are any errors

This is my first try at adding a photo or link, so bear with me :)

If anyone tries this, could they post a picture?

Thanks

Tutorial in MSword
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That could drive your eyes crazy. I'd love to try making it but don't have the time right now. Good Luck!

I think this would be a hoot to make. I read through the instructions. I did not see yardage requirements or size of the project. Love it love it.

Rita

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ritamaew
    I think this would be a hoot to make. I read through the instructions. I did not see yardage requirements or size of the project. Love it love it.

Rita
    I noticed the same thing, also you might want to # each page in the right hand corner, so that there is no confusion. :D Like it and DD would love it. :thumbup:
    *Note* On the second page the word lined, i think should read "lines". :D

Blog Entries
    I love it, but it is in Word.

Love that quilt!

Love that quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I love it, but it is in Word.
    Save it as a file, then go to that file, right click it, open in word pad.
    Some one on this forum shared that information with me the other day so the one's of us without Word can still use them. Hope this helps.

Revised tutorial including yardage and a PDF file are below!

Aaannnnd I forgot the size, again-the finished pieced top would be 66 x 66 not including borders.

PDF File

Revised Word File

Whoa! That's a cool quilt. It sure would be fun to make! I didn't see any errors in the instructions, but I found the beginning a bit confusing. For example, "You can probably cut the yardage down slightly if using a non-directional fabric" isn't very helpful. How much can be cut down? I think if it will usually take 2.25 yds, then leave this part out. Also, I'm not clear on the purpose of including how much "waste" there is. I guess I just expect there to be some leftover fabric for most patterns. You might just say "will be cutting strips into 37" and 39" lengths".

This is just my 2 cents. It's a great pattern and you did a great job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsspyder
    I really like optical illusion quilts, and I want to try my hand at making one. However, I travel for work, and can only bring hand piecing stuff with me.

I put together a tutorial for how to strip piece one of these quilts and need someone to tell me if there are any errors

This is my first try at adding a photo or link, so bear with me :)

If anyone tries this, could they post a picture?

Thanks

think i will try this it may be next month will be out of town for about 3 weeks

Thanks...I'm going to try this ....don't know about posting pics....I think I left my camera someplace last week because now I can't find it....:(

Blog Entries
    since this is a copy-righted pattern from a magazine is it ok for you to be sharing it this way? just curious???

Blog Entries
    I wonder about where your instructions say to "alternate" strips from the two sets.

For me alternate is a word you use when you have two sets which are all the same ("alternate blue and white strips" ). I think that the operation you are describing is more complex.

Do you mean

Cut each set as shown, to give 2 sets of vertical strips. Do not move the strips from their places after cutting, but keep each one carefully in its place. Starting from the left hand side of each set, take one strip from each and place them on a suitable separate surface, building up the design by adding a strip from each row in turn, until you have used all the strips from each set in order.

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I have always wanted to do one of these. I have a couple projects going now but can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    since this is a copy-righted pattern from a magazine is it ok for you to be sharing it this way? just curious???
    I didn't know it was copyrighted-I drew this one up myself. Should I take it down? Alternately, how do I take it down?

Suggest you look at http://www.cosman.nl he has done a large number of beautiful geometrical quilts. Great stuff and he has a free program you can download that will give you all the pieces to make the quilt.

Best wishes,
    Dianne

Ps. I think if you are using it for YOU then it is OK if you are using it to sell it is not. Most artists are pleased for you to use personally their work, however, not for sale as that is how they make their living.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.
    Dianner

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DianneRab
    Suggest you look at http://www.cosman.nl he has done a large number of beautiful geometrical quilts. Great stuff and he has a free program you can download that will give you all the pieces to make the quilt.

Best wishes,
    Dianne
    Thanks for that - I knew about Cosman as I'd used it to find LQS in Holland (my DH is Dutch so we often go there) but I'd never come across this section before - his work is outstanding!

Re this tute - it's definitely something I'd like to try - I've just finished piecing a block bender and love the 3D cubes in OBWs so am really getting more and more into optical illusions - I have ideas bubbling away as well for a tessellated design inspired by Escher... You instructions look pretty clear from a skip read but I'll try and make it in the next week or so and I think that will be the best 'test', OK? :D :D :D And BTW I should have said THANK YOU for doing this! :-D

PS if you worked this out yourself rather than directly copied it, I see no need to take it down. There's no copyright in a technique, only the actual pattern text and pics them self. But maybe check with Patrice if you're concerned. I already saved it to my hard disk though. :mrgreen:

That is a very nice pattern. I can imagine it takes much skill to achieve the proper look.

Blessings...

Yo I love that quilt on your profile picture. Very nice!

Blog Entries
    [/quote]PS if you worked this out yourself rather than directly copied it, I see no need to take it down. There's no copyright in a technique, only the actual pattern text and pics them self. But maybe check with Patrice if you're concerned. I already saved it to my hard disk though. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yup! You are totally correct. As a teacher I have to be constantly careful to cite my references but if I create it myself... I'm good! There are lots bargelloes out there. Yours is just that. YOURS! Good on you for being so creative.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    ...Do you mean

Cut each set as shown, to give 2 sets of vertical strips. Do not move the strips from their places after cutting, but keep each one carefully in its place. Starting from the left hand side of each set, take one strip from each and place them on a suitable separate surface, building up the design by adding a strip from each row in turn, until you have used all the strips from each set in order.
    That is precisely what I meant :)

Very cool!! The instructions are easy enough to follow. Actually, except for keeping everything in order, the pattern is much easier than I ever imagined.

If I were doing it, I'd sew the Black and White strips together as soon as I cut each set. I know that's much slower, but it would help keep me organized.

Quote Originally Posted by DianneRab
    Ps. I think if you are using it for YOU then it is OK if you are using it to sell it is not. Most artists are pleased for you to use personally their work, however, not for sale as that is how they make their living.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.
    Dianner
    That's why I drew up the pattern. I have seen one of these quilts, and I've seen an optical illusion coloring sheet and the pattern is a combination of the two. I wanted to try to figure out a way to strip piece one as opposed to sewing an extraordinary number of little squares together. I posted the tutorial so that when I finally get time to work on it, I will (hopefully) have a clear and accurate way to go about it, as opposed to spending 4 hours drafting, calculating, typing, removing, calculating, etc. And such came my call for guinea pigs (or proof readers!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast