Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader) >

I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader)

I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by marsspyder
I really like optical illusion quilts, and I want to try my hand at making one. However, I travel for work, and can only bring hand piecing stuff with me.

I put together a tutorial for how to strip piece one of these quilts and need someone to tell me if there are any errors

This is my first try at adding a photo or link, so bear with me :)

If anyone tries this, could they post a picture?

Thanks

think i will try this it may be next month will be out of town for about 3 weeks
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks...I'm going to try this ....don't know about posting pics....I think I left my camera someplace last week because now I can't find it....:(
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

since this is a copy-righted pattern from a magazine is it ok for you to be sharing it this way? just curious???
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 AM

I wonder about where your instructions say to "alternate" strips from the two sets.

For me alternate is a word you use when you have two sets which are all the same ("alternate blue and white strips" ). I think that the operation you are describing is more complex.

Do you mean

Cut each set as shown, to give 2 sets of vertical strips. Do not move the strips from their places after cutting, but keep each one carefully in its place. Starting from the left hand side of each set, take one strip from each and place them on a suitable separate surface, building up the design by adding a strip from each row in turn, until you have used all the strips from each set in order.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 AM

Thank you. I have always wanted to do one of these. I have a couple projects going now but can hardly wait.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
since this is a copy-righted pattern from a magazine is it ok for you to be sharing it this way? just curious???
I didn't know it was copyrighted-I drew this one up myself. Should I take it down? Alternately, how do I take it down?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Suggest you look at http://www.cosman.nl he has done a large number of beautiful geometrical quilts. Great stuff and he has a free program you can download that will give you all the pieces to make the quilt.

Best wishes,
Dianne
Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM

Ps. I think if you are using it for YOU then it is OK if you are using it to sell it is not. Most artists are pleased for you to use personally their work, however, not for sale as that is how they make their living.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Dianner
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DianneRab
Suggest you look at http://www.cosman.nl he has done a large number of beautiful geometrical quilts. Great stuff and he has a free program you can download that will give you all the pieces to make the quilt.

Best wishes,
Dianne
Thanks for that - I knew about Cosman as I'd used it to find LQS in Holland (my DH is Dutch so we often go there) but I'd never come across this section before - his work is outstanding!

Re this tute - it's definitely something I'd like to try - I've just finished piecing a block bender and love the 3D cubes in OBWs so am really getting more and more into optical illusions - I have ideas bubbling away as well for a tessellated design inspired by Escher... You instructions look pretty clear from a skip read but I'll try and make it in the next week or so and I think that will be the best 'test', OK? :D :D :D And BTW I should have said THANK YOU for doing this! :-D

PS if you worked this out yourself rather than directly copied it, I see no need to take it down. There's no copyright in a technique, only the actual pattern text and pics them self. But maybe check with Patrice if you're concerned. I already saved it to my hard disk though. :mrgreen:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 AM

That is a very nice pattern. I can imagine it takes much skill to achieve the proper look.

Blessings...