Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any ideas for Easter lunch/dinner for 18-20 ? Waht are you having for Easter lunch/dinner? >

Any ideas for Easter lunch/dinner for 18-20 ? Waht are you having for Easter lunch/dinner?

Any ideas for Easter lunch/dinner for 18-20 ? Waht are you having for Easter lunch/dinner?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM

we have ham or yoshida chicken wings and thighs. have yoshida recipe if you want it. also potato salad and baked beans. rhubarb pie and glazed angel food cake.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Power Poster

The chicken pot pie is in the lead. I think I will have a green salad and a fruit salad with it. Also maybe a cold noodle chicken salad. I plan to have some one else bring that one. I know a lot of chicken.Tuna casserole would not fly with those outside of the family as they are not big on fish.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 AM

I always serve ham on Easter -- sort of a passing from the old Mosaic law to not having to live under the old law any longer. We also have a cake that is cut in the shape of a cross with white frosting covered in coconut. Side dishes are potluck.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bobbie1
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thanks for the recipe. I might just not wait till Easter to try this. Hehehe Can you tell I am a coconut hollic?
It is sooo goood!! Only make it once a year...Easter. Hope you like it.
I copied your coconut cake recipe too! I have several already, but will see about this one this year! We love coconut cake too! Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM

As for dinner suggestions... I do the traditional as well,,, ham,and trimmings... In your case with time of the essence and allergies.. Chicken casserole is good and made up ahead of time is great, served with a healthy salad and maybe a jello dessert topped with cool whip and jelly beans!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

My college boy called last night and asked for a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for Easter dinner dessert. That isn't a cake that we've normally had around here. I guess he had it somewhere and loved it.

I usually force them to eat ham on Easter. I love it, and the rest aren't fond of it. So I get my way once a year. With the spiral cut ones, easy to make and serve. The scalloped potatoes out of a box are enjoyed the same way as those made from scratch. I don't have time to fuss, since I sing in the choir and take care of altar communion settings at our church this month. Holy Week will be busy enough without doing fussy things for a family dinner of collected bachelors.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM

I occassionaly cook for a teenager retreat that has a head count of 40-50. One of the most popular meals is a taco/buritto bar. Here is a sample menu
Taco filling from both ground beef and chicken
Fish Sticks (They are delicious in tacos)
Assorted chopped lettuce
Green onions
Refried Beans
Tomatos
Red and Green peppers
Yellow Rice
Taco shells
Burrito wraps
Sour Cream
Salsa
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM

For crowds and plan ahead I make chicken spaghetti, salad and we serve olive bread.

For Easter I will serve ham, green beans & new potatoes, macaroni & cheese, corn, hot rolls, banana cream pie, peach tea with peach slices floating.
I like to fix a favorite for each person. There will be 9 of us.

I should have planned left overs so not too costly. When I have 20-40 I do the meat, rolls, & beverage the rest is pot luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by fivepaws
Our traditional Easter dinner is leg of lamb, fresh asperagus, oven roasted potatoes and strawberry shortcake. I can't remember too many Easters that that was not the fare. ♥♥
You have just described my perfect Easter meal! Yummy! I'm having too many who don't like lamb, so we are having BBQ tri-tip, broccoli salad, cheesy potatoes, fruit salad, rolls, and strawberry pie.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

We ended up making a chicken pot pie but it came out more like thick soup. My 21 yr old army son helped me make a monsterous amount of beautiful heart shaped biscuits to go on top. Two of my daughters made desserts. One made pies with apricots and blue berries still from our yard and one made the cheese cakes. My daughter in law brought fruit salad in yogurt. My 21 yr old island son helped me shop and boil the chicken. My 13 yr old DD picked it off the bone and 20 yr old DD made the green salad with her boyfriend.

We made 4 trays with chicken pot pie filling.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190117[/ATTACH]

My daughter in love's yummy fruit salad.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190125[/ATTACH]

The gigantic biscuits my 21 yr old army son made helped me make.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190111.jpe   attachment-190119.jpe   attachment-190120.jpe   attachment-190122.jpe