Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any one have Hand Surgery ?? >

Any one have Hand Surgery ??

Any one have Hand Surgery ??

Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM

I had the thumb joint replaced in my left hand, just as you spoke of about 8 years ago. Mine was called a soft tissue joint replacement, as they take a tendon from the lower arm to make the new joint. I was in a cast for some time with a pin through the joint area, so that it wouldn't get floppy. The pin part was painful, but the joint works and doesn't hurt (except when the weather is about to change, and that isn't so bad. ) Mine was in the cast so long that the second joint doesn't bend any more, but it all works and doesn't limit my mobility at all. For me it was worth it, to get my grip back and the use of my left hand. I'd advise yiou to check out all your options (like it sounds you are) and choose a doctor and occupational therapist who does lots of these. The best of luck to you, and keep us posted.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 AM

I had surgery done many years ago...like 10 or more...it was called a CMC joint resection for osteoarthritis of the thumb joint. Here is a link that explains about it: http://www.eorthopod.com/content/res...roplasty-thumb

It was a tough recovery...and a long time before I had full use of it again. But I did eventually recover full use and really nothing I can't do with it, as long as I am careful and not overuse it. I never have had to have the other hand done so that is good. The one I had done was my dominant right hand. I had an excellent hand surgeon to do my surgery-we are very fortunate to have a hand and upper extremity surgery clinic in our town.

Mine was done out-patient, I did not have to stay over in the hospital. And I had it done in summer, so was a good time to not have to worry about too much clothes/dressing which was really difficult. My husband was a big help. And so were my boys. You will have to have someone available to help for quite awhile.

Last edited by patchsamkim; 12-31-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I am watching as I am going to have my right hand - dominant hand done in the early spring. My left isn't anywhere near as bad as the right. I got shots in each joint. I was told they would take cartilage from my arm and turn it into something sim

ilar to the outer layer of bologna! Lol yup bologna is what the nurse said

I had this surgery done a few years ago..made a big difference for me. I was wearing ugly hard braces on my hands for years and the time finally came... I did have my right hand done first and as it turns out I use the left so much less now that I don't have to even wear the brace on the left now. I fell and broke my hand on the small finger side while it was in the cast(first time my hand doc ever saw that!!) so it took more therapy after but it was worth it.