Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any other Mayflower Descendants out there?

I'm just curious. I'm sure I have some distant cousins out there. :-) John Alden and Priscilla Mullins are my 9th Great Grandparents. Anyone else a Mayflower Descendant?

I have several. Including Alden and Mullins. New England ancestry is interesting. While I am mixed race and very diverse, all of my New England ancestors are cousins. Small breeding pool.

Blog Entries
    The only connection I have to the Pilgrims is my love of thanksgiving! :-D

Hi, I have an odd connection. I am English and live in the UK. The Mayflower sailed from Europe and docked at Plymouth to take on board the Pilgrims going to the New World.

My ancestor actually got off at Plymouth and moved up country and settled in the North Devon/South Somerset area and became a yeoman farmer.

Funny old world, because if he had not done that I would have been an American instead.

Have some back to the revolutionary war, from Germany and assorted prior to that, someone traced back one line to 1500 and Scotland, Glad some of the relatives did the Tree, interesting reading.

My husband's family have direct ties. My BIL is big on geneology. I can't get past yesterday LOL so of course I never remember how the trail goes.

oh my! so do I. Do you feel any more special than any one else. History is great. Every one's history is great.

I don't mean to be offensive. Maybe it is a sign of the times. We are who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    oh my! so do I. Do you feel any more special than any one else. History is great. Every one's history is great.
    I definitely have a better appreciation for Thanksgiving. It makes for some very interesting discussion at the dinner table. I love history and learning about my family roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussymussy
    Hi, I have an odd connection. I am English and live in the UK. The Mayflower sailed from Europe and docked at Plymouth to take on board the Pilgrims going to the New World.

My ancestor actually got off at Plymouth and moved up country and settled in the North Devon/South Somerset area and became a yeoman farmer.

Funny old world, because if he had not done that I would have been an American instead.
    Isn't it amazing how one action by an ancestor affects the lives of all his/her descendants?!

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I have several. Including Alden and Mullins. New England ancestry is interesting. While I am mixed race and very diverse, all of my New England ancestors are cousins. Small breeding pool.
    Hello, cousin! It was a very small breeding pool and it's a small world.

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I definitely have a better appreciation for Thanksgiving. It makes for some very interesting discussion at the dinner table. I love history and learning about my family roots.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday just for its name. I give thanks, I welcome them. That is the spirit for me. Yeah, I know the history.

Blog Entries
    Not the Mayflower, but have ancestors considered to be Pilgrims... Robert Wixom (Wixam, Wickham) arrived on America's shores in 1630...

My ancestors John and William Boynton came to America in 1638. We are descendants of Burton Agnes Hall in Yorkshire, England. My father always said that some of our ancestors were here to greet the Mayflower.

No Mayflowers here, all my ancestors were born here. :)

My mother's family ancestor's (Southwicks) supposedly did come over on the Mayflower. I am a direct descendant of Cassandra Southwick who was persecuted in Salem for being a Quaker.

ohhh! one of favorite pastimes is genealogy. :mrgreen: I've spent approx. 40 years in researching all of our families, and with some luck, I've found quite a few other living descendants from the same tree. My husband is 12th generation male descendant of Elder Wm Brewster. We occasionally make a pilgrimage back to his ancestors home town in northern Vermont. It's sooo beautiful there!

We have a lot of very old family photos and I've scrapbooked copies of the photos with family stories and the family tree. I give them away to distant family and we've made some wonderful "new" friends in other states that are from the same "branch".

This is a subject dear to my heart.... I had better stop or I will bore all of you tears!! ;-)

Blog Entries
    I remember my mom and dad and my grandma, but further than that? Nada...

Yup, I was born and raised in MA. Baptized as a Christian Congregationalist(Puritan's religion) and I'm a descendant of Miles Standish. We came over on the Mayflower. Then my relatives proceeded to become ministers, alcoholics, racists and bigots not necessarily in that order. A long pedigree is sometimes over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    ohhh! one of favorite pastimes is genealogy. :mrgreen: I've spent approx. 40 years in researching all of our families, and with some luck, I've found quite a few other living descendants from the same tree. My husband is 12th generation male descendant of Elder Wm Brewster. We occasionally make a pilgrimage back to his ancestors home town in northern Vermont. It's sooo beautiful there!

We have a lot of very old family photos and I've scrapbooked copies of the photos with family stories and the family tree. I give them away to distant family and we've made some wonderful "new" friends in other states that are from the same "branch".

This is a subject dear to my heart.... I had better stop or I will bore all of you tears!! ;-)
    You won't bore me! I'm an amateur Genealogist. I am going to try to take my children to the Alden Family home in Plymouth, Mass. one of these days. I'd love to go in autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Yup, I was born and raised in MA. Baptized as a Christian Congregationalist(Puritan's religion) and I'm a descendant of Miles Standish. We came over on the Mayflower. Then my relatives proceeded to become ministers, alcoholics, racists and bigots not necessarily in that order. A long pedigree is sometimes over-rated.
    Yikes! I wasn't bragging about my "pedigree". I just think history and genealogy are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    lol, do you have the papers that say so? Pedigree is everything, you know ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody

My BIL is a descendent of Wm and Sarah Brewster, too.

As for me, well I'm peasant stock of a bunch late 19th and early 20th century Germans and Swedes. I've been working on DH's. My DH has CWar, RWar, and 17th century Dutch and I think Mayflower (not proven yet) roots. What fascinates me about genealogy is how it brings history closer to you. My DH's ancesters Rebecca and Norman lived through the summer of 1815, the year there was no summer. The extreme hardships they endured in New England because of a volcanic eruption in Indonesia is mind boggling. Yet they survived.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewingyankee
    My ancestors John and William Boynton came to America in 1638. We are descendants of Burton Agnes Hall in Yorkshire, England. My father always said that some of our ancestors were here to greet the Mayflower.
    Hey, I'm a Hall descendent, too!
    One interesting item I have from the past is the journal one of my relatives kept during the American civil war. Glad I wasn't around then.

You might get a chuckle over this.
    I was taking a university course on the multicultural classroom, and we decided to have a potluck dinner to which we each brought a dish that reflected our cultural background. They told me I was cheating when I brought apple pie - now, what's more American than apple pie? Apparently I was supposed to pick something "farther back" but I thought those roots went back pretty far already!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Mine too!! Well not all of them, mine breeded with the pilgrims.

I don't know when she came over, but one of my ancestors was executed as a witch in Salem. (Don't remember her name off-hand.) That's a pretty cool family story at Halloween. Ooooohhhh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast