Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any suggestions for my 6 dining room chairs???? >

Any suggestions for my 6 dining room chairs????

Any suggestions for my 6 dining room chairs????

Old 01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

I used to have chairs like that. The seat came off and was easy to recover with a staple gun. I would make back cushions that tie and matching bottoms.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM

BK: That suggestion did make sense. :)
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
I used to have chairs like that. The seat came off and was easy to recover with a staple gun. I would make back cushions that tie and matching bottoms.
I'll give it a look over and see how easy the seat is to get off.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by henryparrish76
Originally Posted by BKinCO
Oh, and btw, HP~~where in NC are you? I'm from Greensboro originally...
I currently reside just on the outskirts of Raleigh, but I was born and raised in the rural areas of Edgecombe and Pitt Counties.
We spent a few years in Raleigh~ my husband graduated from NCSU. My parents and FIL are still in Greensboro.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
1. Does the wood color work for you? If not, take out the seat/cover the weave and spray paint it black or white.

2. Reupholster the seat. That is so easy to do with a staple gun.

3. Replace the weave with an upholstered piece of plywood to fit the opening exactly. It could be done in a coordinating fabric to the seat.
This is what I have done in the past and it seems like a NEW set of chairs. In fact my daughter has my old set in her house and loves them. Easy afternoon project, once you've got the measurements and the plywood cut. Love to see your pictures.

ETA: I forgot to mention (like BK said)...You have to put a square (rectangle) of material on the back to finish it off nicely, I glued mine and it's been over 4 years....still being used :)
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SharonC
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
1. Does the wood color work for you? If not, take out the seat/cover the weave and spray paint it black or white.

2. Reupholster the seat. That is so easy to do with a staple gun.

3. Replace the weave with an upholstered piece of plywood to fit the opening exactly. It could be done in a coordinating fabric to the seat.
This is what I have done in the past and it seems like a NEW set of chairs. In fact my daughter has my old set in her house and loves them. Easy afternoon project, once you've got the measurements and the plywood cut. Love to see your pictures.

ETA: I forgot to mention (like BK said)...You have to put a square (rectangle) of material on the back to finish it off nicely, I glued mine and it's been over 4 years....still being used :)
This is on my to do list. So some time in the next two weeks I am going to get this done. I will post pictures when I am done.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Would be a shame to get rid of the Wicker once you had it redone. If it were mine, I would just recover the seats with really nice fabric. I have recovered my dining room chairs three times, and left the backs as they were. Mine are caned.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I love the wicker, and would leave it. the seats can be covered in whatever colors you want to use in your room. Go to Mary Jo's in Gastonia. She has all types of upholstery fabric at great prices!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, bc I like the one about repainting and adding new upholstery. I was thinking of doing this very thing to my dining room set.
What I want to know is, since mine are stained, can i just spray paint them...or do it after using a kilz product...can't think of what you call it...when you use a....__ that word, lol...I have done it to walls, but never on stained furniture.
I can't wait to see yours, Henry. Then maybe I will get motivated to do mine. :-D
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I love the wicker, and would leave it. the seats can be covered in whatever colors you want to use in your room. Go to Mary Jo's in Gastonia. She has all types of upholstery fabric at great prices!!
I have decided to do some sort of padded tieback there instead of getting rid of the wicker. Now I just have to pick out my fabrics and such.