Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any tent campers out there? >

Any tent campers out there?

Any tent campers out there?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 AM

We did tent camping for about 35 years. Loved it. Really miss it, with all of my joint problems just can't do it any more. We spent many many nights in north Georgia. What a beautiful place. Love it.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Tent and lake-side campgrounds went out with the 80s for me. DH, and four kids. Now none of us do it--we have a houseboat up on the Ky line and that is really "roughing it" for us, three kids and various grandkids, and not overnight anymore for the two of us. We're too comfortable with the nearest Hampton Inn. But we all still love the great outdoors and water and get together every chance we get. I even have a sewing machine set up on the boat, so don't have to get anxious when I want to do some piecing or patching.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I tent camped when younger and never cared for the heat, bugs, and dust. I don't like staying in a cramped camper either. We rent a cabin in the area we want to explore. There are cabins just about in every remote location to rent and especially the more popular nature areas. We go to the Ozarks the most.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM

We did the tent camping, and the pop up camper thing too. Now we are in a 36' Allegro Bay. As they say at Tiffin, we are 'roughing it smoothly'. We have spent the winter in southern TX this year. Getting ready to head back to TN.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I remember the first time I went camping. We pitched the tent in a field of poison oak.

Second time I went camping was in a college course. The temp dropped at least 30 degrees below what was planned.

Dh had similar camping experiences, so we have agreed not to go camping again unless we can stay in a 5-star hotel.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 PM

I tent camped years ago when the kids were young and loved it. Moved on to a travel trailer for a while, then moved to the country and gave up camping. Now that we're ready to retire, the sig and I bought a small pop-up and are looking forward to camping in some national and state parks this summer. Not quite the same as tenting but second cousin to it!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM

We done a lot of tent camping when the kids were young. We always went to an area where we could cut fire wood & had a creek. We always spent weekends in the woods & the kids loved it. They still talk about the good days when we done that & how much they miss it. Tried it a few times when they shut down the woods for camping, on your own, & went to a few camp sites. Just wasn't the same. Didn't have the private family time together at the camp sites.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Oh my , we used to tent camp in the 60's and 7o's when kiddies were small. Now, one of them fishes in tornaments and on the road DDIL takes her own bed linens and a foam mattress pad. Her hubby says its just like moving. But, they love their luxuries. She prefers Bed, Bath and Beyond over home made hand quilted quilts, but her dau wants a sorority t shirt quilt. Interestingly, another DGD and spouse like to tent camp and she loves to sew and quilt. I guess skipping a generation works sometimes.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 AM

tent camping is awesome. have loved it since i was a kid. my husband hated it but went along because i liked it. i had to do all the work because he did not know how to camp.

best trip ever was the time my brother and i took my two granddaughters camping and we had thunder and lightening, and huge hail balls for one whole day. we were huddled in the tent with my big shepherd dog and read harry potter. near froze to death that night. we weren't prepared for that cold in the middle of june in northern california. we all still laugh about it.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 AM

Went camping one time when married to former spouse. Could be the reason for the divorce?? Anyway it's not for me. Howard Johnson's is as primitive as I want to go. I'd rather sleep in my bed now days because I'm so scared of bedbugs. Even the nicest hotels have gotten them. I do such a search in every hotel room that DH gets tired of waiting to bring in the luggage. I won't let him sit anything on the carpet, not even our shoes. I know that's bordering on crazy but I don't want those little critters coming home with me.