Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any volunteers? Anyone? (Cricket chirps)

Any volunteers? Anyone? (Cricket chirps)

Sheesh! It is time for our Guild to change Chairs. (Presidents) We have 2 co-chairs to partner with running the monthly business /guild meeting. I was a co-chair this year. We put it on the floor for nominations...volunteers for 2015 . not one person stepped forward. We have members who, for years, love handling various roles in the Guild but, gee, many members who come to be entertained without any partiiption in a leadership role. We explained that it was not a big deal to run the meeting. We plan the years' activities in January and just need someone to follow the agenda. Easy.

Well, guess what? In January we are going to sit in the audience waiting for someone to start the meeting that I am NOT going to start. Should be interesting......

in the meantime, someone may come forward.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    at least you don't have people who will resort to skullduggery to grab the reins and never let go. LOL

this might be [ok ... probably is] a nutty idea, but what if ...
    everybody's name goes into a hat each month.
    the person/people whose name(s) are drawn have to lead the next month's meeting.
    there is a remote possibility that somebody who didn't think they'd want to would discover they like doing it and are good at it.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I like the suggestion from Patrice! It is only fair that everyone share in the effort. If the group is large enough, perhaps 2 could share the job as co-leaders for each meeting, working with another to share the task may be a little less scary for some who don't like to speak up in front of a group of people. But rotating the duty among all seems like a great way to go.

Blog Entries
    that's what we do... co-office holders. we are a very large guild and have lots of volunteers, but many travel, etc. and don't want to commit to a two year stretch. also, multiple minds create better ideas. so i got co-vp of programs for the next two years starting in January. and my co-vp is a snowbird in jan and feb... so this works for us.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I am not involved in a guild but another volunteer organization. I can't play nicely with some of the current officers so, for only the 2nd time in over 20 years, will NOT be sitting at the head table during meetings. When asking for volunteers for officers most of the members hide under their chairs. Very frustrating indeed.

PatriceJ has a great suggestion! Wish we could adapt it to our organization!

I love Patrices' idea too'!! Might just do that in January if no one steps up. I was also thinking of mentoring the first meeting if anyone is interested in some guidance.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

Blog Entries
    Don't belong to a guild but, if I did, would like Patrices's idea. Do have to throw this out, however.....how large is the guild and exactly what are the duties. If you've done something for a long time it just gets easier...for someone who's never led anything before it might be overwhelming. For me, I love all the planning, research, etc. that goes into an event ( be in charge BEHIND the scene so to speak ) but do not do speaking in front of a crowd well. Still and all though, if I knew those were going to be the rules of the guild I' d find a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I love Patrices' idea too'!! Might just do that in January if no one steps up. I was also thinking of mentoring the first meeting if anyone is interested in some guidance.
    sandy
    Sandy, I like your idea of mentoring the first meeting. I volunteered to run for president for my guild this year and lasted about 3 months. The only reason I had volunteered was no one else wanted to step up and we have to have a president in order for the guild to exist. Originally, I was running for vp and we had 2 candidates for vp, but no one for pres, I stepped in. However, there was no real support from the previous president and I felt like I was left hanging on several occasions. We have a lot of strong personalities in the group.

After a couple of months, I stepped down because I had family issues that developed and didn't need the extra drama.

Blog Entries
    thumbs up for Patrice's idea. then if they don't like it, they can leave.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Unfortunately the same in our area. Those of us that have served in several positions are tired and getting anyone to volunteer is hard. I love Patrice's idea!

Blog Entries
    I did a lot of thinking on this last night and tried to put myself in a potential volunteer's spot and this is how you might get me to consider taking on the position if I were in your guild. Pass out a sheet of paper with request for help. If you don' t criticize me for not volunteering, you've got my attention. If you have some light hearted humor in your message, I'm wavering. (humor gets me every time). If you list EVERYTHING that is required of me ( and don't keep out the yucky or time consuming stuff if you ever want me to volunteer again.)
    Are the responsibilities carved in stone or can I be a little creative?) Is there anyone I'll be able to ask if I have questions?
    Yes, in answer to your silent question, I Have volunteered in my extensive life for many things which has prompted the above thoughts. My experience has always been, no matter what the gamut of things I've volunteered for, that when people ask for help and I oblige, I end up seeing them only through the rear view mirror as they pedal quickly out of sight.

You are not unique, it happens in every organisation that I know of here in the UK, the reason I am n it in a guild at the moment is the stranglehold a few people have on t he committee! But also the lack of others who will come forward to make a change. Good luck with what you are doing, I'm with Patrice too!
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Great idea Patrice! It would be a great way to bring life and change into any organization. Organizations and groups need to be flexible and meet the needs of the group by having the masses participate, there will be new ideas and growth.

Oh gosh. Our guild is small and very casual. We dont require much out of the members and every year they exceed in their generosity of producing charity quilts and participating in the challenges that they have an interest in. It is really not a big deal to run a meeting. The agenda is pretty much routine and we have an annual planning meeting for new ideas, etc. We welcome new ideas and input.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

In most guilds the by laws would have to be changed to have a name drawing to go around elected officers. By laws seem to be sacred to many long time guild members. I wanted to toss my guild's by laws in the trash half way in being guild president. They were outdated and rigid.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

We don't have bylaws. We are an informal gathering.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Blog Entries
    Good luck Sandy.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Why not go down the rows of chairs and tape a red or blue or green piece of tape on each one.
    At the beginning of the meeting ask all the "red seaters" to move to the right wall of the room; the blue could go to the back wall; the yellows to the left wall.

Tell each of the groups to put their heads together and come up with the name of a person from their group who will serve in a needed position for the next term. They have, oh, say, 10 minutes to accomplish this task.

Meanwhile you can sit back down and fail to start he meeting until there have been people "nominated" (army style!) to carry on. If you only need 2 people and get three names, you can have a vote of the membership to see who serves.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html