Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple? >

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Anymore the safest way to go is a money card ...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 AM

I agree gift cards are always safe. I also like to give sets of towels in white or off white. We received 2 sets of towels for our wedding many years ago. Dark burnt orange and cranberry! never used either set as they didn't go with anything we had and could not return them.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM

I would call whomever invited you and see where they're registered. If you want to give them something THEY want, it will be on this list. They may have potholders, towels and cleaning supplies. But you will see that perhaps they DON'T have a skillet, serving bowls or wine glasses - something that will be on their list. A lot of my sons friends have been getting married lately, and I know they do appreciate receiving they want - or gift cards from the places they are registered to get what they need. With so many couples living together these days, they may have already merged two residences and have a lot. The year we got married - many years ago - cheese trays were all the rage. We got about 5. I'm sure everyone who gave us one thought we would love it, but if there had been a registry of stuff other than just china in those days, they could have purchased something we could use.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM

I think your idea is a good one. When our friends' son got married out of state, we wanted to get something from the registry and have it shipped to them. By the time we got around to it, all the "good stuff" was already purchased so we got a bunch of the small stuff like cookie sheets, measuring cups, rolling pin, etc. After the wedding, they had a reception in town where the couple told us that they loved our gift. The store had wrapped each item individually so when they opened the big box they had a bunch of small packages. They said it was like Christmas morning. We also got the nicest thank you note from them about the fun they had opening it.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM

I always give a check. Cash can get "lost" but the couple must cash the check. If I don't get the cancelled check back within 3 months, I usually will call the couple (or parents if that's whom I am friends with) to see if there was a problem. Most folks like getting money - the can buy what they need or want with it. Just my opinion...

Anita
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM

My weeding day is in Oct (32 year ago) and I remember getting a much appreciated gift - a box full of Christmas decorations. Something handmade could be included
Of course, one would have to know the young couple's beliefs before giving this.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 AM

I usually give the newly weds a Fire Proof Box, it's some thing they can always use for Marriage License, Car titles, Birth Certificates and any other valuable papers. I've always been thanked for this type of gift.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

My Grand-son got married in August. They appreciated the gift certificates they received the most. That way they are able to buy the things they need in the colors they want.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 AM

When I read your post, I picked up on the fact of 'how' you were invited. Was everyone else invited the same way? Maybe no one got formal invitations. If you really want to be practical, give them laundry detergent, fabric softener, bathroom soap, dish soap. It can add up and they'd really get good use of all of it.

Years ago, when someone was expecting (before I knew how to quilt), I'd give the new parents diapers and wipes...also for 1rst and 2nd birthdays. They all LOVED how practical I was and even requested the same gift the next year. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Yesterday I called the grandmother for gift ideas and told her we just received a beautiful photo invitation in the mail. That really pleased me. I learned the bride-to-be has had 5 or 6 showers so many of my ideas would be redundant. But she is saving up money to buy a stove she wants. They are moving into an older home the groom's grandmother owns. Obviously, she is wanting to update so $ seem to be best. I still may give her a nice cookbook or make an apron too.