Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody watching The Roosevelts on PBS

Anybody watching The Roosevelts on PBS

Just enjoying learning more history about these icons of our American history then I was ever was taught in history books. Ken Burns has another award winning film to his credit.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have been watching, a wonderful series... fascinating!

Blog Entries
    We've watched the first two and have the rest recorded. It's been fascinating...a lot about Teddy that I didn't know.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Wonderful series! But we missed the first couple. DH and I did not know a lot that was in the series so we were very interested in the details. We even went to our friends house last night and was discussing FDR. My DH has a distant deceased relative that "rode with Teddy's Rough Riders".
    Nikki in MO

A fascinating series. Ken Burns is the best.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Dang missed it.

Don't worry if you missed it. PBS stuff is around for years. Our library buys their series on CD so you can catch up on Downton Abbey or any of the great shows they do. Ken Burns has done such a great service to our culture with all the series he produced. I've watched parts of the Roosevelts and hope to see more of it eventually.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Yes, really enjoyed the series and learned so much!!
    diane

Blog Entries
    I did too. Learned a lot. or re-learned what i'd forgotten.

I have watched the first 3. I can't seem to watch the long episodes in one sitting. But I have them all recorded and look forward to seeing the rest. It is fascinating. Never knew about Eleanor.

I enjoyed the first two but could barely stay awake the 3rd night. I'll be looking for reruns or in the Library!

Blog Entries
    Watched all 6 in the series. Very fascinating and a lot that I had forgotten thru the years. Yes, Eleanor was a wonderful woman especially for her time of history. All the other president's wives had nothing to say about being equal and human rights. She put a lot of "bugs" in Franklin's ear.

this will remain available at pbs.org for the next 6 days

Yes, we have been watching. Caught the first 2 or 3 but have recorded the rest and hope to find time this week to watch the rest. Finally there was something on tv to watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    Wonderful series! But we missed the first couple. DH and I did not know a lot that was in the series so we were very interested in the details. We even went to our friends house last night and was discussing FDR. My DH has a distant deceased relative that "rode with Teddy's Rough Riders".
    I've been watching it online - search the Roosevelts pbs and you'll find it. I didn't care for history when I was in school but have come to enjoy Ken Burns' various documentaries. Very interesting family the Roosevelts.

I missed it but will catch it on Netflix when they issue the whole series. I am watching all of 'Breaking Bad' now.

I watched and recorded all 7 episodes. Lots of history and behind some of the greatest men are strong women. FDR is lucky Eleanor had so much grace and class to pull a state funeral together to honor him; even after finding out that Lucy Mercer Rutherford had been with her husband before his passing and that her daughter had helped facilitate those meetings. Another good movie to watch is 'Hyde Park on the Hudson' with Bill Murray playing FDR, Laura Linney playing Daisy.
    diane richardson
    Project Linus Springfield/Branson
    We Make a Difference 1 Stitch at a Time
    www.orgsites.com/mo/net

...am enjoying the series too....recorded the whole thing so I can watch when I can...so far up to ep4....... Well done and so informative in many ways........know more about Teddie than ever before...thank goodness for his foresight.....and get things done attitude...wish there was more of that these days!

Have watched the first two and like so many, have really learned a lot. Ken Burns finds the little interesting tidbits that school history never taught us....I'm enjoying this series emmensely, but will probably relegate it to weekend watching since I'm now into a lot of the new "Pilot" programming. I've found if I don't watch the first in a series that I'm lost if I decide to keep watching it....and it generally takes me two or three episodes for me to decide if I like it or not......I have the Roosevelt series recorded so I can watch it at my leisure. With each episode lasting two hours, it does take a while.

Totally agree! What a great show. To bad they don't teach history in school..
    Have a Blessed Day

Blog Entries
    another winner from Ken Burns, I really hate baseball, but loved his baseball film, was so good he had a fan in me right from then on!
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    I watched all 7 episodes. I really felt sorry for Elanor.
    TwandasMom

Yes, I watched it!!!!! Enjoyed every minute!!!!

We watched the first three and enjoyed and have the rest recorded for when we get home - we are at one of our son's now. We did take more then 3 sittings but that's what DVRs are for. And weren't teddy and Eleanor and Franklin "lookers" in their early years?
    Alyce

I recorded it from the start and haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet. Knowing each episode is 2 hours, I put off even starting it. But from everyone's response, I'm eager to see it. I enjoy interesting people in history and these three are definitely interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast