Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pillowcases as Gifts?

Question Pillowcases as Gifts?

Do adults really like being given pillowcases as a gift? If you have no idea what colors their bedrooms are, would they use pillowcases made in a nonmatching color? Is this a gift best given to kids & teens? I thought about very simple pastel colors or just white/off-white, but then wouldn't you want to give a married adult a pair rather than just one?

I'm trying to think of good (quick & easy) Christmas gift ideas and I can't decide if this is a good gift or not. Would *you* like a pillowcase for a gift?

Blog Entries
    I have had great response from men, women, teens and younger children. They all love their personal pillowcase. One year I made camo pillowcases for the men and boys......they loved them. Go for it! It's your gift to them. If they don't like it it's their loss. I have done Christmas theme cases also.

Blog Entries
    I give the as gifts! My daughter in law and a girlfriend just finished running a marathon race and I found great fabric for the cases..they loved them! Niece just got married recently...they had a lot of fun with fake mustaches....they both got mustache cases in diff shades of color...they thought they were great! Cases are so expensive to buy so adding a touch of their personality makes them a great gift. My kids and grandkids love them!

Blog Entries
    One thing to watch out for is pillow size. We have a king size bed with king size pillows; queen and regular size pillowcases don't fit our pillows. Most adults with a king size bed would appreciate two pillowcases that match.

I made pillowcases for gifts and they were very popular. I made some out of dog fabric for my friend's that have dachshunds and I made some out of flames and car fabrics for my husband who loves his. I don't think the color of the bedroom is as important as something that is personal and reflects their interests. We use dog pillowcases and flame pillow cases on a pillow we keep on the couch upstairs
    Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-22-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    ones i have done have been things they like golf bowling etc.kids love them too!!have even put a gift in ones for kids!!!
    QUILTNMO

I have made a lot of the tube pillowcases as gifts and everyone seems to enjoy receiving them. Because of how they are made and trimmed out, this is good way to use fabric left over from other projects. If you are not familiar with the tube pillowcases, check out the tutorial for making them on the Missouri Start Quilt Shop website.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I made some cream colored, tone on tone pillow cases for a gift, and they were well received. If you are making them for gifts for adults, I definitely think you need to make them in pairs.

When a friends' grandson was at St Judes for chemo, she requested gifts. I sent him a Las Vegas themed pillowcase. He loves to play cards, dice, etc. I enjoyed making it. Heck, I make a personalized pillowcase for me. That way I can spot my favorite smooshy pillow on our bed. I should make DH a camo case!

They are fun to make, personalization is fun and who cares if they "match". That is not the point. As far as knowing the size of ones' pillow? Hmmmm...not worried. Just me, i cant micro-manage my gifts to others.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My grandchildren love theirs. I bought travel-sized pillows from Walgreens for each one and now they expect a new one every Christmas along with Granna-made pjs!

I gift quite a few to adults, mostly themed or collegiate fabric. No complaints so far.

Blog Entries
    I love bedding anything, to be quite honest. I received the best set of pillowcases ever made by a member here a few years ago, I sadly do not remember her name, but they have been on my pillows ever since. I do need to patch a hole in the one, but other than that, I love them.

If you go with a neutral color scheme, you should be fine. If you're making them, it's coming from the heart, and that is what truly matters in a gift. If they don't like them, then that's on them.
    "That quilt top has a very cat shaped bump in it." Alu had once more been thwarted by Wrigley, who was happily sleeping between the top and batting. "All that basting for nothing."

I have a daughter who favors anything antique..make her pillowcases in old time rosebud prints with pale borders. Kids like whatever, sports, animals, stripes, etc. and if they get them for Christmas they can be used for a "bag" to keep their treasures in so they don't get mixed up. Men like old cars, watches, sports, farm implements, dogs, etc. Think about the person you are making them for and they will be a big hit!

Oh yes!! Not only adding ruffles or rick rack etc but I embroider on the cuff special things prior to sewing together. And they love the way it pops in a room . Seasonal and aesthetic ones as well. Such fun! Gift ones I French seam and for charity I serge.
    From the heart
    Nancy

I think the personalization is the most important. My husband's best friend is a railroad nut. I found some rail fabric which was the start. His wife is a knitter. I found all kinds of fabric for hers. I love my personalized Elvis cases. I'm and Elvis nut. Love his music.

Our quilting group makes pillow cases for a nursing home at Christmas. They are really popular.

Blog Entries
    I've had good results giving them to children. But the adults not so much. I got comments like oh they are too bright and but they don't match our sheets. My grandson likes them. I made some for him using skateboard fabric and some with planets. A friend's little girl liked the ones made of butterfly fabric that I gave to her. I usually do a pair for the children.

I love making pillowcases. I make them for my husband and me...I don't care if they match the sheets or not!! Who sees the sheets except you. Grandkids love them.
    Connie

Oh, I like this idea. Years and years ago I hand-embroidered a pair of pillowcases for my MIL. Took me 2 years to get them done, LOL. (I am NOT fast at handwork!)

I absolutely love the old timey embroidered pillow cases!! Pillows are for more than just beds!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm working on quilts for both my sons and their girls with pillowcases to match. The pillow cases will be just standard size but also with some added flair for the girls.

I made one for my son a few summers ago when he went off to be a camp counselor. He said he liked that it was personal, had my writing on it, and it was nice to have both the one that matched his sheets and the one I made because he sometimes wanted or needed to change just the pillowcase mid-week, not the whole set.

I change pillowcases mid-week or more often myself. I'd appreciate a personalized one. Monograms are always special for married couples. I just finished making a set of 20x20 (each of their first initials) and a 14x14 (their last initial) for newlyweds in the family. They love them.

I wouldn't make pillowcases just to use up scraps or if I knew they don't appreciate handmade gifts. You have to know your recipient.

Color is very personal. If you can find out their bedroom colors that'd be better than going with pastel, in my opinion. You could go with creme and grey which is classy and contemporary if you just don't know. That would blend with a soothing palette or calm a loud one. That's my two cents' (or a plug nickel's) worth of suggestions.

My older sister is a nun and I often have a hard time finding the right gifts for her. Last year for Christmas, I made her a pair of patchwork pillowcases and she loved them! Last year I made pillowcases for my 19 year old niece for all 5 pillows in her bed--including a body pillow and she was also delighted
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    Just made DGS and another 4 year old a pair of PJ pants and matching pillowcase. He is gonna love it!! CARS
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast