Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pillowcases as Gifts?

I make pillowcases to match the quilt and place the quilt inside the pillowcase when I give it to the recipient. I feel storing the quilt inside the pillowcase allows the quilt to breath yet keeps it from getting as dirty while stored. Plus I use up some of the scraps leftover from the quilt itself. Just an idea.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    made my single 25 yo niece a hotcakes one with NYC firemen on it. she loved it.
    found a hottie tottie girl fabric and made her brother a potholder.
    Me and my dh have NO matching cases. all are cool fabs I made them with same for
    my 24 yo son. Once when he was about 8 he made pillowcases for everyone that year.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We like to use our personalized pillowcases when we travel. That way I notice my pillow on the bed and I don't leave it behind.

I think pillowcases are a good idea. You know the people you are giving them to so keep in mind their hobbies or even ask them if they have fav colors. With all the really neat material available you can really make very unique gifts. My sisters grandson wanted me to take him out shopping for pillowcases and I told him I could make him ones. He had a ball digging thru my stash and picking out material. I made him 2 but he has about 4 more coming to him. Last year I made Christmas ones for me and my sister's granddaughter. Just keep in mind that people who don't sew love just about any handmade gift they are given.

Blog Entries
    Ladies in UK. Do we give pillowcases as gifts. This. Is something I have never heard of the whole thread has fascinated me.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Honestly I think it depends on the person receiving their gift, how picky they are about decor, and on how well you know them and their space. For most of the year I like things coordinated in my room, so if I received a pillowcase that matched my duvet set, or some simple linen ones I would be delighted!! I think it would also have to be a pair. I wouldn't like having two mismatched pillows on the bed at the same time. However at Christmas I like to put on themed sheets and it doesn't bother me that things are going unmatched for a few weeks, so fun holiday pillowcases would be appreciated.

I made cases for grand kids last year. One plays ice hockey and one was dance. Was nice for them to have their favorite things on personal cases. One liked it, the other loved it.

I got a set from a friend and they are great. As someone said they are expensive.

Last Christmas, a friend of mine who visits nursing homes with her therapy dog,asked me to make her pillow cases for some of the residents. They were made from flannel and christmas themed. They loved them so much that they are still using them. They held up well even with all the washing . One lady told my friend she doesn't want to sleep on any other pillowcase.

I am of the opposite opinion, having received pillow cases as a gift. Yes it was personalized... but I spent a lot of time and money to get my bedroom just the way I wanted it. I finally made myself a quilt to go with all of the colors. The pillowcases I received could not have clashed more ... so they sit in a box.

Blog Entries
    i had some lovely panels around and finally made them into pillowcases. just a bit longer than they needed to be. Sent one set to my Sister, still have the other. Can't find a photo just now. one was cream background and the other was black.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I make the pillowcases according to their style. For example one friend is Flower crazy so she gets flower pillow cases, her hubs is a hunter, so he gets camo pillowcases. Three of my granddaughters all have different favorite colors so they are given the pillowcases in their colors. One of our friends is all about lace in their bedroom, but outdoors in their camper. So lacey print pillowcases for the bedroom and outdoor print pillowcases for their camper.
    Do I ever worry about the pillowcases I give as gifts ? No as I have already personalized it to their tastes.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

My DD uses her gift pillow cases when she goes out of town. She used to sometimes forget her pillow in hotels, but now with bright colors and loud designs, it never gets forgotten.

I give pillowcases often as gifts. Kids love them. I always personalize them too. I either embroider their name or applique it. I have the GO alphabet and if the name isn't too long I'll put it in the middle. If not, I've used the first letter appliqued and then embroider the whole name across it. For kids, I always put the pillowcase on a brand new pillow.

I have also given pillowcases to adults too. I have an elderly neighbor that I made some for a couple years back. Now she has a helper during the day who just asked me yesterday if I sell them too. She wanted some to give as gifts herself. Sally, the elderly neighbor, frets if that isn't the case isn't on her pillow.

Last year I gave 8 different adults pillowcases as gifts. I didn't even make the pillowcases. I was looking at a trunk at a flea market and inside was a bag of beautiful vintage pillowcases with that pretty crocheting at the top. The man said I don't want those, you can have them. So I got 8 sets for free. I appliqued the GO bird on them with the embroidery. They were so pretty. I don't have any pictures but here is the Go design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2