Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pillowcases as Gifts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pillowcases-gifts-t254204.html)

RavenLunaStitch 09-22-2014 05:54 PM

Pillowcases as Gifts?

Do adults really like being given pillowcases as a gift? If you have no idea what colors their bedrooms are, would they use pillowcases made in a nonmatching color? Is this a gift best given to kids & teens? I thought about very simple pastel colors or just white/off-white, but then wouldn't you want to give a married adult a pair rather than just one?

I'm trying to think of good (quick & easy) Christmas gift ideas and I can't decide if this is a good gift or not. Would *you* like a pillowcase for a gift?

erstan947 09-22-2014 06:04 PM

I have had great response from men, women, teens and younger children. They all love their personal pillowcase. One year I made camo pillowcases for the men and boys......they loved them. Go for it! It's your gift to them. If they don't like it it's their loss. I have done Christmas theme cases also.

Crqltr 09-22-2014 06:12 PM

I give the as gifts! My daughter in law and a girlfriend just finished running a marathon race and I found great fabric for the cases..they loved them! Niece just got married recently...they had a lot of fun with fake mustaches....they both got mustache cases in diff shades of color...they thought they were great! Cases are so expensive to buy so adding a touch of their personality makes them a great gift. My kids and grandkids love them!

Prism99 09-22-2014 06:12 PM

One thing to watch out for is pillow size. We have a king size bed with king size pillows; queen and regular size pillowcases don't fit our pillows. Most adults with a king size bed would appreciate two pillowcases that match.

cashs_mom 09-22-2014 06:15 PM

I made pillowcases for gifts and they were very popular. I made some out of dog fabric for my friend's that have dachshunds and I made some out of flames and car fabrics for my husband who loves his. I don't think the color of the bedroom is as important as something that is personal and reflects their interests. We use dog pillowcases and flame pillow cases on a pillow we keep on the couch upstairs

QUILTNMO 09-22-2014 06:29 PM

ones i have done have been things they like golf bowling etc.kids love them too!!have even put a gift in ones for kids!!!

BETTY62 09-22-2014 09:59 PM

I have made a lot of the tube pillowcases as gifts and everyone seems to enjoy receiving them. Because of how they are made and trimmed out, this is good way to use fabric left over from other projects. If you are not familiar with the tube pillowcases, check out the tutorial for making them on the Missouri Start Quilt Shop website.

piepatch 09-23-2014 02:21 AM

I made some cream colored, tone on tone pillow cases for a gift, and they were well received. If you are making them for gifts for adults, I definitely think you need to make them in pairs.

Sandygirl 09-23-2014 02:56 AM

When a friends' grandson was at St Judes for chemo, she requested gifts. I sent him a Las Vegas themed pillowcase. He loves to play cards, dice, etc. I enjoyed making it. Heck, I make a personalized pillowcase for me. That way I can spot my favorite smooshy pillow on our bed. I should make DH a camo case!

They are fun to make, personalization is fun and who cares if they "match". That is not the point. As far as knowing the size of ones' pillow? Hmmmm...not worried. Just me, i cant micro-manage my gifts to others.
sandy

sewbelle52 09-23-2014 03:39 AM

My grandchildren love theirs. I bought travel-sized pillows from Walgreens for each one and now they expect a new one every Christmas along with Granna-made pjs!