Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pillowcases as Gifts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pillowcases-gifts-t254204.html)

brendadawg 09-23-2014 03:59 AM

I gift quite a few to adults, mostly themed or collegiate fabric. No complaints so far.

Alu_Rathbone 09-23-2014 04:13 AM

I love bedding anything, to be quite honest. I received the best set of pillowcases ever made by a member here a few years ago, I sadly do not remember her name, but they have been on my pillows ever since. I do need to patch a hole in the one, but other than that, I love them.

If you go with a neutral color scheme, you should be fine. If you're making them, it's coming from the heart, and that is what truly matters in a gift. If they don't like them, then that's on them.

lclang 09-23-2014 04:14 AM

I have a daughter who favors anything antique..make her pillowcases in old time rosebud prints with pale borders. Kids like whatever, sports, animals, stripes, etc. and if they get them for Christmas they can be used for a "bag" to keep their treasures in so they don't get mixed up. Men like old cars, watches, sports, farm implements, dogs, etc. Think about the person you are making them for and they will be a big hit!

linynp 09-23-2014 04:33 AM

Oh yes!! Not only adding ruffles or rick rack etc but I embroider on the cuff special things prior to sewing together. And they love the way it pops in a room :). Seasonal and aesthetic ones as well. Such fun! Gift ones I French seam and for charity I serge.

KarenSimon 09-23-2014 05:34 AM

I think the personalization is the most important. My husband's best friend is a railroad nut. I found some rail fabric which was the start. His wife is a knitter. I found all kinds of fabric for hers. I love my personalized Elvis cases. I'm and Elvis nut. Love his music.

KarenSimon 09-23-2014 05:36 AM

Our quilting group makes pillow cases for a nursing home at Christmas. They are really popular.

Seaside gal 09-23-2014 05:46 AM

I've had good results giving them to children. But the adults not so much. I got comments like oh they are too bright and but they don't match our sheets. My grandson likes them. I made some for him using skateboard fabric and some with planets. A friend's little girl liked the ones made of butterfly fabric that I gave to her. I usually do a pair for the children.

husker67 09-23-2014 05:48 AM

I love making pillowcases. I make them for my husband and me...I don't care if they match the sheets or not!! Who sees the sheets except you. Grandkids love them.

Sewnoma 09-23-2014 06:17 AM

Oh, I like this idea. Years and years ago I hand-embroidered a pair of pillowcases for my MIL. Took me 2 years to get them done, LOL. (I am NOT fast at handwork!)

AZ Jane 09-23-2014 06:52 AM

I absolutely love the old timey embroidered pillow cases!! Pillows are for more than just beds!!