Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone bought a new car lately? >

Anyone bought a new car lately?

Anyone bought a new car lately?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 AM

If it were me I would probably buy her a truck, seriously. A Chevy S10 or something like that.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
DH and I are going to buy a car for our seventeen year old niece this summer. She graduates HS next year We have't bought a car for a teen in years. No sport car. I cringe when I see those tiny cars, they get crushed like a tin can in a fender bender. She isn't choosy at all but likes the new Volkswagon and Honda. I have been looking online at cars but of course they all claim to be the best ever. What car would you or have you bought for a teen?
I bought my two older kids their first cars. They were used vehicles and when I handed then the keys. I told them they were responsible for the extra in the insurance and maintenance as well as tags and I was to be paid in full the price I put down for the car. Also in the bargain was this.......
If they got a ticket, the car keys were to be given to me until the ticket was settled. If they got another one, the car was mine. And if it was totaled the insurance check was mine to repay any balance owed.

Worked like a champ.
I doubt they hated you for it after all was said and done! It is only a fair "trade" - after all if it weren't for your initial purchase for them, they'd be using their shoe leather! That is great in my estimation.

I had a similar set up for my son when he went to college - and it also worked! it does not hurt to have rules to learn by, and live by.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 AM

Used Honda!!! Almost any model although if you check Consumer Reports you can get comparisons by model and year. Very safe and super economical. And they hold their value well if maintained well.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM

I also called my insurance agent when it was time for the kids to drive. In Florida a teenagers insurance is almost half if they are driving a small pickup. DD bought herself a Ford Ranger.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 AM

I applaud you for doing the research to decide what is the safest option.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:02 AM

I was not attacking bellaboo for her desision to get her neice a car or saying she was a bad parent i was putting in my opinion on the topic from the point of a young person who has reasently been through this whole situation. since she bought her other children a car she should also buy this girl a car. part off my point was that children should be treated the same (gift wise) as there siblings. also i did put in my two cents worth on a car in my opinion a older midsize ford or a small pickup truck would be good choice but its entirly up to the person purchasing the vehicle.
Originally Posted by ptquilts
Again, while starting a fire in the woodstove I found a great article in the Christian Science Monitor. This had a lot of good info in it.

http://www.fultoncountynews.com/news...amily/067.html

And let's not attack BellaBoo for her decision to get her niece a car. She did not ask anyone's opinion of her decision, she asked about cars. While some people would not do what she is doing, it is her right to do it, and I think she sounds like a good parent/aunt.

I remember my first car, a 1971 Plymouth Fury III - it even had retractable headlights with washers/wipers for the headlights!! $800 and I bought it sight unseen from a contact in NC because it was a "southern" car - no rust or salt corrosion like in the northeast. It lasted many years and ran well, only problem was a slight deceleration when it passed a gas station. It was a tank!!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I would never buy a new car for a teenager. Go for an older Volvo - they don't get much more solid than that.
I bought a used Volvo last month and I am amazed at all the wonderful safety features it has. My favorite is the red sensor that tells you if someone is in your blind spot. The car will also stop automatically if you are about to rear-end someone or something and you are going under 20 mph. There are warning sounds if someone walks behind your car when you are backing up, like in a parking lot (my worst fear!). It was not inexpensive, but I feel it was well worth the money.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

I have 4 kids, and your alot nicer than me! Non are at driving age yet, but we have made it clear how they are getting their firt car.
They have to save for it. I agree to match what they have saved. Ofcourse my 8 yr old thinks a car is so far in the future, she isn't concerned. Where as my 13 yr old is crunching numbers, and trying to figure how much she can save in the next 3-4 yrs.
Now then, we do have an extra house. If we still have it in 6 yrs the 13 yr old says she wants it. I won't give her a car, but a house!! Yes she is hopefull I will give her a house, LOL!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Honda, Honda, Honda!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Will you adopt me as a neice? :D

I have a 10 year old Civic with a LOT of miles on it and I have yet to have anything other than tuneups and replacement of worn out parts (belts tires, a/c coolant)fixed. It gets great mileage and has a lot of safety features (safety crumple zones, side curtain airbags, etc).