Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone do wool felt applique? Newbie has a question! >

Anyone do wool felt applique? Newbie has a question!

Anyone do wool felt applique? Newbie has a question!

Old 11-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Anyone do wool felt applique? Newbie has a question!

So, as a challenge to do 'something different' I signed up for a Sue Spargo BOM (the simple one, Chirp) listed here:
https://www.suespargo.com/store-detail.php?ID=6786

Got the book - which is neat - I've done hand embroidery before on material, and am excited to learn some 'fancier' stitches and knots!

Since I've never done any wool felt applique though, I thought I'd grab a small kit (it's in primitive style which I realize is different than Sue's work) and see how it goes. Get a feel for the material anyway.

I've got a very 'new user' type question about it... The kit comes with a paper pattern which is a simple line drawing. There are overlapping shapes. I mostly get how applique should work, tracing the image in reverse. However, the pieces on it overlap each other sort of like this picture shows:

http://www.pastthymepatterns.com/pb/...08d16237fb.jpg

My question: Do you trace out each piece (say, each pumpkin) as it *would* look if it were not overlapped i.e. as a full round pumpkin, or do you trace it out exactly as the simple line drawing and the pieces just butt up against each other and don't overlap? Is that just a personal choice? My kit has very little instructions-wise on this. I expect they think you have done one of these already!

I appreciate any words of advice, regarding doing simple primitive kits and/or Sue Spargo designs!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:47 PM

All the patterns I’ve done have included a tracing diagram and the pieces have been complete. I use heat n bond lite to trace the piece, then adhere that to the wrong side of the wool, then cut out the shape. All shapes I’ve done have been whole, the wool layers nicely. Here is a tutorial that might be helpful. https://youtu.be/BXwJi5TxYPA. The patterns for these mug mats are free too so might be good for practice. They go into good detail about the process and teach new stitches each month.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Thank you PamelaOry, I've got the video in my "watch next" list! It makes sense to me that the pieces would all be complete, but the pattern /kit did not elaborate each piece separately which seems odd. I'll just draw over the parts that they did not, and cut from there.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Yes, trace and cut the whole shape on your fusible of choice. I have had times when the fusible didn't adhere to the wool well enough so I discovered a couple of staples would hold the piece still while I appliqued it. When you take out the staple, it doesn't leave holes in felted wool. Welcome to the wonderful world of wool.