Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have a CT Scan with contrast? >

Anyone have a CT Scan with contrast?

Anyone have a CT Scan with contrast?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:29 AM

I have had 6 or so CT scan with contrast it taste nasty like unsweet cool-aid. I always have to have an IV that is the most uncomforabe part........oh waiting for the results is harder. Try to relax.............
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I am scheduled for a CT scan next week and wonder how it was if you had to drink that Barium icky stuff. And what happens after - do you feel poorly the rest of the day?

The next day I am going to the Road to CA quilt show and I want to feel well for that...I will even reschedule if I won't be up to snuff!

What is your experience?
I have had several and had no after effects at all. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM

I had a CT scan with contrast when I had a kidney stone, but they injected the dye into me. It was not unpleasant.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM

I think I drank some orange drink, not barium.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM

It depends on what they are targeting to scan, if it is like you back they insert the dye thru a needle stick,you will not be feeling poorly after. I have had many of these due to back problems and so I am talking from experience on that kind.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM

The most important thing for me is that I have a straw AND that the drink is cold, very cold. If you can get it the day before, put it in the coldest part of the fridge.

Taking pills is easier with a straw also.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the input and encouragement! As long as I am good for the quilt show - all the rest is do-able! If I could get immediate results I would be even happier.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM

I had one about 6 months ago, though I think it was an MRI, anyway, no problems. Way different than the stuff you drink to clean you out before a colonoscopy. That stuff is awful and the results are predictable. The barium (berry- flavored) was tolerable with no effects or after effects. I drank it before I went at whatever time they told me to, then when I got there, they had me drink several more ounces before going into the machine. The whole thing was a nonevent for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

The CT Scans I have had are for my back. The first one was terribly painful, had contrast thru IV and did not like next day, I was only in 30s then. The last couple I have had in last six years have been a lot easier. Went to work right after. As for ct scan of functioning and cancer, I did not have any reaction to the barium stuff or the cancer one. IT was realatively easy and went to work right after. I guess it depends on the clinic doing the procedure and what you are having done. If were me, that would not stop me from going to quilt show if I got to go. To be sure, I would rescedule till got back if you can wait and does not affect your doctor appointment.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM

I had a CT scan with injection and so many other things were going on at the time, I couldn't say if that was the bothersome thing or not. The actual scan and injection weren't bad.