Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very little contrast

In the Quilting magazines lately there are quilts with very little contrast, such as all pastel florals. Do you like them?

Blog Entries
    Some quilts seem more calming without contrast, I guess it is whatever look you are striving for :D:D:D

I prefer more contrast, most of the time.

no I prefer more contrast

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love contrast but sometimes I love the low contrast too. Very calming and relaxing.

I like contrast. When I look at a quilt I see dark v bright.

I agree!! To put all that work into a quilt and then not be able to see the pattern/design seems like such a waste...IMO!! I like sharp contrast in my quilts and things to ''pop'' when viewed but then, that is what makes the world go 'round!!

jodi in leavenworth

I like contrast as I think it makes the quilt more interesting. Only my opinion...

Blog Entries
    And I like the soft pastles.

Blog Entries
    I tend to like *some contrast* on the other hand a lot of the fabrics sold the last couple years I dont care for the fabric-colors or how they are combined at all... seems like are trying to push *fad* colors onto quilters then next year they will be *out of style* and sell us something else...

Blog Entries
    I need contrast. I am making one now that doesn't have the contrast I need and I will definitely not keep it!!

I like contrast in an intricate pattern. With larger blocks I like the low contrast OK. I made an intricate pattern with low contrast for a quilt show and the only thing marked down by the judge was the lack of contrast. Matter of opinion I guess.

I think I am more of a 'low contrast' person but I do love the ones with lots of contrast

More contrast...so you can SEE the blocks and the design. They're way too busy for me.

Blog Entries
    just my opinion but some of these new fabrics and patterns are so boring guess I am a contrast person

I am always trying to calm my desire for colorful quilts. It does not work. Must be my personality wanting expressive colors.

Sometimes, but personally I like lots of contrast. Use a lot of black as background.

I do not like all the Fad colors / styles either. Some of the paislys r big as basketballs...I don't really see anything but swirly stuff...on the other hand the Batiks r lovely creations.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    To me contast does not have to be glaring,but when I was hosting a block lotto,a lot of blocks came to me that were little to no contrast and they stood out like a sore thumb.For example,a Bears Paw in a very light pink with a white background.It looked pretty up close,but always stand at distance and look. The pattern totally dis appeared,and did not fit in with the rest of the blocks at all.This is a common mistake with newbies.I love pastels,but seldom work with them with a pattern,I save them for larger squares or such.Its a lot of work to make a pieced block and then it disappears into the background.The more intricate a pattern is,the more contrast you need,and that includes scale and color.Hope that helps.

I love the high contrast.

I haven't seen the magazines in a while, but I generally like to see some contrast in quilts.

I normally like high-contrast quilts, but Gerri Robinson had a quilt in one of the magazines about two years ago that was absolutely breathtaking - and it had almost no contrast at all! It was all 8-point stars in Robyn Pandolph's Somerset Cottage line - so serene and simple - and the quilting was gorgeous!

I haven't ever bought the exact same fabrics as a quilt pattern shows, but I almost did for that one. I will be mixing in a few fabrics from her "Beach House" line and I will skew the overall color scheme more toward the blues and greens, but I really hope that the quilt looks very much like the one shown in the magazine.

To me soft pastels are okay if you use a lot of white so they stand out or "pop." Otherwise I prefer contrast so the pattern shows.

No, I don't like them. Those types of prints seem to all blend together and the pattern of the block is lost. I like fabrics with lots more contrast so the design shows up, and often even a secondary design can be seen.

I also don't much care for the colors those fabrics come in......the garish pinks, oranges, and aquas. Give me primary colors and a few secondary colors and I'm happy.

So much depends upon the pattern, imo. While I normally gravitate towards brighter colors, I have seen some bargello and mariner's compass type patterns in gradations of very pale colors that looked wonderfully elegant and sophisticated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast