Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate? >

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I inadvertently locked our indoor cat outside yesterday and did not realize it until this afternoon. She is a small shy cat who hides when a stranger comes into the house, and she doesn't have front claws. Yesterday and today set heat records; it got to over 100 degrees here today.

To make matters worse, a lawn service came and sprayed our lawn this morning, while Oliver was outside. Usually she stays close to the house (she's been forgotten outside once or twice in the past), but the lawn guy would probably have scared her. Plus, we live in a very rural area with lots of clumps of woods. Our house has thick woods around 3/4ths of the perimeter of our acre lawn.

I contacted FindToTo.com and they have called all the neighbors in a 2-mile area (not many neighbors here). We will take flyers house-to-house. We will place rugs and scented clothing around the perimeter of the yard later tonight, after the heat and dry wind die down (cats are supposed to have good scent skills). Will try walking around the woods calling her name after nightfall (cats are more likely to come out at night). Not just the woods, but the areas surrounding the woods are chock full of poison ivy, plus the ground is very rough around the woods, so not sure how that is going to go tonight.

It's all my fault. I let the cat out with me went I filled the bird feeders out back (kind of a thrill for an indoor cat). Maybe I'm getting Alzheimer's. Completely forgot about her when I went back in the house. I'm sick about it. My daughter's sick about it. Any good-ending stories would be most welcome!

Edit: Just read that putting out stinky cat food (like fish) out at night can help. Also a baby monitor nearby, to hear if she comes back. Guess I'll do those things too.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

When our cat got out the shelter vet told us to put a litter box out in the yard with the normal litter she used. Also she told us to put a food dish out with stinky food (like fish). These things will draw them, but may draw a few other wild furbabies as well (nothing bad, but just might happen). 4 days later as we were going to leave on a long weekend, our neighbor thought they saw her hiding under a wood pile. I took my bowl of stinky food and sad close. She would not come by just calling, but when the stinky food was out she came slowly. She was healthy and we got her back home safely. Please keep us posted, but I believe in the power of positive. Keep putting her things out and trying to entice her with patience and sitting in your yard swing or lawn chair (that is what worked for us).
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

my daughters cat got out of the house when she pulled out of garage and was gone for a week. the cat came home on her own she was well feed so we think some one took her in and she got out and came home
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Another story: last Dec my father in law passed away we are on the same farm. He had a cat that I found in the field and didn't really want but I said how can you resist and put her in his pick -up. well we have been taking care of this in and outside cat since. About 3 months ago she disappeared for several weeks and we thought she was gone; well she showed up at my house 1/4 mile away. Wheew I sure felt better so some time passed and again about 3 weeks ago she's gone again. talked to the neighbor farms -- no not seen. Each day I think where is she.... told SIL she should have taken cat. Three days ago the cat showed up again and we put her directly in the house ! called SIL and said come and get the cat ! Cat left today and I am so relieved. But now I suppose I'll miss the cat.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Let me tell you about Moses! Years ago my hubby found a cat that was trying to cuddle up to our big dogs to get warm. It was -40 below and when brought to me it was clear the cat had been abused. Skinny except for the distended stomach and burn marks where someone had put ciggerits out on him. Due to the cold his ears frose off, and part of his tail, all the skin on the pads and nose, along with ear mites and stomach worms. What a sad looking young cat.
Well I took him in. I have never head a cat purr that loud and such a "raspy" meow! He crouched down on my lap and was so happy. Needless to say I never even bothered to look for the "owners" Couple of hundred buck at the vet later I had the most affectionate cat I have ever had. He even purred when I was cleaning out the ears!
A real charmer was Moses. Even people who don't like cats like my Mo. He loved food and did put on some pounds...

A year and 1/2 later Moses dissapeard. We searched high and low for over a week. Called and called, left food out to no responce. We gave up thinking that he had been gotten by a wild critter or such.
The next week I was walking home from past some abondoned buildings, with my then 2 year old daughter. She said " Mommy Mo Kitty!" I told her that Mo was gone, as you do for a young child. She said "Mo Kitty" and tried to go toward the old building. I stopped her and then sure enough I could hear the "raspy" call! and I found him in the bottom of an 8 foot wide culvart that was under an old trailor. He was alive and a lot slimmer. There was a puddle from rain water that kept him going and dry area to sleep in but no way out.

We couldn't believe it! It had been 14 days. Still don't know who was happier, us or Mo.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Last Friday, I left for a week to go on vacation. My daughter called a few hours later crying. Our inside cat had come out while I was loading the car and I forgot to let her in. Lucky we don't live on a busy road b/c DD was still sleeping. When she woke up and went into the kitchen she heard a horrible "screaming" through the window. We were lucky-poor kitty stayed by the house. She was traumatized I'm sure but okay otherwise. I hope your poor cat finds her way home soon.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM

I lived in the country and had an indoor cat (no claws) also. He got out one day and OMG did I freak out. Well I was out there yelling like a fool and nothing. All of a sudden I looked at this bush and there he was. I think I actually scared him with the yelling of his name. Just a hint.

By the way, he lived until he was 17 yrs. old!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM

You have my prayers because I know just how you feel. It happened to us with one of our cats and he was gone for three days. What the vet told us was sometimes they might go in someones garage and hide and then the door gets shut. In your case that is probably not what happened but cats have wonderful instincts and your little gal should be able to take care of herself.

It sounds like you're following some good advice with all the steps you're taking. She still might be spooked by the guy that came by yesterday and is wondering if it's safe to come home. As close as our cat Junior is to my husband he hid from him for almost a day after my husband accidently stepped on his tail.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

MixDixie, where is the rest of your story?

Must admit I'm feeling a little more hopeful.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM

When we moved into our new house, about a week later our beloved went missing. DH searched high and low. So much so he became known to the cops as that weird guy looking for his cat.

We read something online about putting your socks on the fence and sprinkling cat litter from the box down the street. I don't know if it worked, but a week later he showed up.

I hope your poor baby finds his way home.