Anyone Have A Kiwi Plant?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I was REALLY surprised to see kiwi plants that would work in my area, in garden catalogs! I thought they only grew, well, somewhere else?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love kiwi fruit, but I wonder if it would be worth it to buy some plants. I dont have alot of money, so I would hate to buy some if they wouldnt work out.
Anyone have any experience with them at all? I am in Southern Wisconsin.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

It should tell you what zones it will grow in. I have a friend that grows kiwi here in Iowa, but they are very small. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

I know that you have to have at least two, but I don't have them myself, yet. They're on that never ending list of someday. :D
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I see you do need the male and the female. I think they sell them in sets. It says they will work in my zone, so maybe I will give it a try!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I see you do need the male and the female. I think they sell them in sets. It says they will work in my zone, so maybe I will give it a try!
I have tried to grow Kiwi and I have planted 2 of them one lived so I repalce them again. I placed 2 because I did not know if it was the male or female that live. We had a very hot and dry summer last year and I am waiting to see if they lived. If not I am not going to tried any more. :-( Hope you do well!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM

I have had kiwis for years and they must be in the ground for several years before you can even think of getting fruit. Like at least 4 or 5 years.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Candace...I didnt know that. Simular to fruit trees then. I planted apple, cherry and pear trees, 3 and 4 years ago, and STILL waiting..........
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm surprised to find they will grow there, but if they do, they are marvelous. You can have about 8 females to one male and still get good fruit. Some of the male plants smell like a tom cat and will draw neighborhood toms.
Many, many years ago a world traveler brought my DH (a nurseryman) some little black seeds and asked him to grow them for him. Said they came from the Gooseberry vine (now called Kiwi, don't think it's kin to the Chinese Gooseberry) . DH had never heard of them at that point of time, but now we have a lot of them around here, but not a significant source of commercial income. Nice plants though, lovely and delicious. There's a yellow fruited one I saw recently. I'll have to try it.
And DH always added Epsom Salt to all the nursery plants, they grew better with extra magnesium in the soil. And of course you can plant the seeds, maybe even get a new variety. Fun to check the new ones that come along.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Wow, Candace...I didnt know that. Simular to fruit trees then. I planted apple, cherry and pear trees, 3 and 4 years ago, and STILL waiting..........
--------------]
While you're waiting, try dwarfs, they fruit much faster. They can even be planted in big pots.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Thanksfor the info Ramona! Maybe i should just try a dwarf, I could always shelter it in the winter that way. I would love a green house someday!