Anyone have an opinion...

Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Anyone have an opinion on using an online fax program? Currently have a fax machine, but would like to get rid of it as there is less and less faxing going on.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM

I'll be interested in responses here. We don't often fax - maybe 6-12 times a year and even less often request something to be faxed to us. It isn't the only reason, but it is a factor in our decision to keep a land line in the house. Would love to be saving the money we spend on it though!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I think I used one a while back. If I remember, the fax comes to your email and you email from your computer? So you'd have to have a way to scan it in it you didn't generate it. Am I remembering correctly?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Just the title had me giggling! "Does anyone have an opinion"? This is the QB, don't ya know!!!

I've never used one so I'm of no help!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM

I had one for a while several years ago. The fax comes to email, as stated, you need ability to print if needed, and would need to scan some things to send.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I think I used one a while back. If I remember, the fax comes to your email and you email from your computer? So you'd have to have a way to scan it in it you didn't generate it. Am I remembering correctly?
Mine doesn't work that way. It is a Kodak all in one printer, fax and scanner. I look at the view screen when the phone rings. If it is a phone call, it tells me so. If it is a fax, I need to select the fax option. I might use mine more than some people because I need the option to fax from my house to send the landlord rental information. This has saved me much time since I no longer have to go to the bank to send it off. I do not have a separate phone line for the fax. I just need to be aware of what I am receiving.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM

The multi-function printer/fax/scanner combo's still require some sort of landline or digital phone line. If you are a completely cellular household then you'll need to look into an e-fax service. A Magic Jack might work if you are a cellular only household but that idea needs a little more research.

There used to be a couple services (eons ago) that would allow one or two faxes/yr for free. I haven't seen and/or used any of those in a long time. I know a couple people that pay for e-fax services (at a monthly fee) but since I usually work through DSN's I haven't explored those options seriously. I'm told they are fairly quick and secure.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM

I use an online fax service with no scanner. It requires no special equipment or software. We pay a monthly fee for the service. I go to the fax website, log in, enter the phone number I'm faxing to, browse to my hard drive, attach whatever file I want to fax, and click send.

Incoming faxes go to email.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Peckish
I use an online fax service with no scanner. It requires no special equipment or software. We pay a monthly fee for the service. I go to the fax website, log in, enter the phone number I'm faxing to, browse to my hard drive, attach whatever file I want to fax, and click send.

Incoming faxes go to email.
Would you mind giving the web address of this service? Sounds like this would work.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Sure! It's www.myfax.com.