Anyone Have a Rain Barrel?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM

my neighbor has 3, they were pretty dry during the summer, but now they have been able to use them on the trees & flowers...cant hook a soaker hose to them tho...they like them...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Until just recently it was against the law to "catch" rain water in my great state. The reason. . .the water does not return to the aquafer. DAAA, if I put caught rain water on my plants, isn't it returning to the aquafer? Just sayin. . . . . .
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM

My Mamaw always had a rain barrel and used it for everything. Of course, that was before laws and worrying about contamination. We used to wash our hair in the water from it when we were kids. Mamaw always said rain water made your hair soft. I don't know that it really did, but us girls thought it was a "spa day" when we did it!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

I plan on putting one up, but it really needs to rain for one to work (ha,ha).
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
I have four rain barrels. Nothing fancy, just the tops cut off of plastic 100 gal. barrels DH brings home for free from work. They had soap in them. After rinsing, they are perfect for rain barrels. Some years I put gold fish in our barrels to eat the mosquitoes. This works really well. I buy the fancy tail ones that I sell back to the pet store at the end of the season. They get really big in the barrels.
I have a rain barrel and use large garbage cans on the corner of the garage and shed. Haven't used my public water for a couple of years, to water plants. Never thought of using gold fish.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 AM

Rumor also has it that in Oregon they are planning on putting water meters on homeowners wells to charge them for the water they take out of their wells, saying that the water belongs to the state and not the landowner. Most of all the water we use is returned to the earth in one way or another.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM

http://www.naturalnews.com/029286_ra...ion_water.html
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM

I don't know who died and made these government people god, but that rain that is collected is a gift from God to all on this earth. And, the air is a gift from God, even though we are polluting it. Government, just get off your high-horses and deal with more important things!!! JMHO
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

I used one for years when I had a garden - it caught rainwater from the gutters, and was higher than the garden, so you could get a siphon going to water the garden with a hose.

Someone should tell the people in Bermuda their rainwater does not belong to them - that is all they have for fresh water, every home collects it from their roof into a cistern.

ETA - just had a vision of little kids in the winter, sticking their tongues out to catch snowflakes, and some gov't official saying "Spit that out!"
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Love it! Spit that out! The snowflake patrol!
Didnt know in some states you cant have rain barrels! Just make sure you have screens! West Nile problms and others!

Someone should tell the people in Bermuda their rainwater does not belong to them - that is all they have for fresh water, every home collects it from their roof into a cistern.

ETA - just had a vision of little kids in the winter, sticking their tongues out to catch snowflakes, and some gov't official saying "Spit that out!"[/QUOTE]
Ha ha! Spit that out! The snowfl are patrol!!
Didnt know some cant have rain barrels! Smh,
!!!!