Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone having problem with big black ants? >

Anyone having problem with big black ants?

Anyone having problem with big black ants?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Last year I had a lot of ants come in the house, but
with boric acid I killed them, except for some that kept
on eating the cat food. So on the advice of a friend, I
put down some mint breath fresheners, and the ants
left and didn't return. Since that was so successful, I
tried it outdoors and the ants LOVED them and swarmed
all over them. Had to revert to boric acid and sugar again
there. Possibly a different kind of ant outdoors.
As for the cats, they thought the mints were play things
and I had a hard time keeping track of the mints.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM

When we bought our house, the inspector said we needed to have our house and yard professionally sprayed as these ants work similar to termites on the wood. We used Ortho Defense all over (without a professional) and it worked wonderfully. We bought our house in 2004 and havent seen any more since.
I hope this helps! :)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

An equal amount of granulated sugar and powdered borax hand soap. Place about a teaspoon on small cut up squaes of paper towels and leave on the floor etc in diffrent (many) places around the house. ALso spread the combination all around the outside of the house close to the foundation. They will eat and be gone. It really does work. I did it for two years in a row and have only seen 3-4 so far this year in the house.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM

We moved into our hundred-year-old (somewhat neglected) house about 8 years ago. The first two years, during the hot humid days of summer, here came the black ants. They were huge! Curious that they were in no other room of the house than the second-floor bathroom and seemed to be coming from a storage area we hadn't yet got to for remodel, etc.

Because we had dogs, we wanted to poisons, etc., so did the cornmeal thing. Within a couple days, we saw no more. Next year, there they were again, but not quite as many as the year before. Repeated the process. Had nothing for the next several years after that. Then, I saw one or two this year and went right at it. NO MORE ANTS!

Hope this clean, safe way works for you.

I don't know if baking soda would work. A friend of mine moved into a new apartment with roaches (yuck!), and quickly got them under control with lines of baking soda around all walls, counters, etc., and her youngsters were safe as well. Might be worth a try for the ants if the cornmeal doesn't turn them off. I think they won't crawl through the baking soda.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM

We must have super ants down here. They walk through baking soda, borax, boric acid, vinegar (I've used up to a 30% solution, very stinky)... Cornmeal might work if they actually eat the stuff but not all ants do. Some actually eat molds that live in soil and wood, leaves, ... And sugar ants really don't seem to be after our sugar at all. Go figure. I really hate when the fire ants get into the electrical wiring, chew the insulation and cause a short. Finding their new mischief is always fun. It never fails to be behind the hardest to remove electrical conduit in the house. Last time it was the central A/C compressor wiring. Fortunately, a neighbor works on them and bailed me out.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by texas granny
Originally Posted by craftybear
what is the best spray to use as we have a dog inside house

Originally Posted by donnajean
I think the big black aunts are carpenter aunts??? Make sure you spray around the outside foundation & doorsteps, & garage entrance of your house. I see lots of aunts outside, but none inside yet.
You can buy a spray called Bug Stop by Spectrecide It works great last for 9 months in side and out.
This worked when nothing else would.
This stuff is great! It did the job for us too, when nothing else would. Safe for inside and out.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 AM

Don't use boric acid around pets.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM

sprinkle borax around outside , I dont like cheimical sprays
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM

I don't spray anything "inside" the house. You can buy the spray at HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. & just spray around foundation & door sills "outside".

Originally Posted by craftybear
what is the best spray to use as we have a dog inside house

I think the big black aunts are carpenter aunts??? Make sure you spray around the outside foundation & doorsteps, & garage entrance of your house. I see lots of aunts outside, but none inside yet.
After the proof reading post I want to know....do you let the uncles in the house? LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 AM

We've got tons of the little black sugar ants. I don't know why in the world they're coming in the house, unless it's to escape the heat. I keep the kitchen counters spotless, and no dishes in the sink, but they're still crawling everywhere. We can't use sprays inside the house (we have birds), but Hubby has sprayed around the outside several times. Nothing seems to work long-term, not even boric acid. :(

It probably doesn't help matters that we live literally 10' from the woods. I guess they're strolling out of the woods and right into the house.

Too bad they're too small to be on our cats' "radars". They'll catch larger bugs in a heartbeat, but they just don't seem to notice the ants! :lol: