Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone here do clothing before? >

anyone here do clothing before?

anyone here do clothing before?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Did you say you bought the pattern already? If so, you can CAREFULLY pin it together and try it on. It will be only one-sided unless you make a second tissue front side to make it whole. But you can see if if is even close to the right size in that way. Many women who sew make a muslin up before cutting into the fashion fabric. That way you know if it needs altering. You don't have to put the facings onto the mock up. Just see if it is the right sleeve length and width and that it has enough ease in the back area to feel good wearing it. A biggy with me is that the bust seam line hits in the right place.

I love the one you chose. Very runway chic! Yet a classic.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Butterick Patterns are my favorite, then Vogue.. Butterick is actually made by Vogue.. Their directions are the absolute best in my opinion. And I watch for the 99 cent sales.. I just got 10 patterns for authentic renaissance and colonial patterns.. some of which were originally 15 dollars or more EACH. Good luck.. seems like you got lots of good sites and advice going.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Yes, Butterick, McCall and Vogue are all part of the same company. I haven't had trouble with any of those. If you want to make a coat, look at McCall or Butterick or Simplicity or New Look. They all have some simple coats and very good step-by-step illustrations.

Commercial patterns are sized totally differently than store-bought clothing. I wear a size 6-8 in clothing from the store and a 12 in most commercial patterns. What you really need to look at is the "finished garment measurements" listed on the pattern pieces. They are usually found at the bust, waist and hip. If you don't see the waist or hip measurement on the front pieces, look on the back pieces. Remember that these are finished sizes. You want enough ease in them to move comfortably and not be skin-tight, especially for a jacket.

I also use the Pattern Review forum. There's a lot of good information there.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM

So I got the pattern I wanted in the mail today! It was out of print but yay ebay!! And cheap!! I'm going to do a muslin first as a practice. My mom called dibs on it--she wants to use it as a foundation piece for a patchwork jacket. I say ummm Happy Mother's Day mom!!! This is the one I am gonna do...http://www.butterick.com/item/B4463....h=b4463&page=1 the blue checkered drawing on the far right. Very simple :) Again thanks for everyone that put in their experienced opinions--I really appreciate the help!!! Youse guys are great!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM

May I suggest that you have someone else measure you for your patterns. Every time you measure yourself, you end up with a mis measure. Sounds like your mom has some experience and it will keep you from buying the wrong size.

Then use your pins to pin the pattern together to help you measure it for any adjustments.

It's not easy to start clothing construction from no experience to such a pattern, but take your time, mark your pattern, and go with the grain!
Good luck, you'll make it!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Quite different from your original pick! This pattern is simple, but boxy. The original was more fitted , with princess seams (which I love for my figure) and the seamed sleeve. I agree that Burda is not a good choice for an inexperienced seamstress. I like this jacket. Especially the belted view. I liked hearing that your Mom sews and that she can help you with fitting. Like quilting, sewing garments is an art. Rare is the pattern that fits right out of the envelope. I can't wait to see your jacket!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Yeah it is a little different then the other pattern :wink: But I am going to do a muslin mock up first and I want to try to add 3 small pleats to the back yoke seam and I want to add a faux button strap just in the back for decorative purposes and to add more BUTTONS!!!!! I'm off tomorrow and plan on working on that and possibly a quilting WIP so I can post a *gasp* f****ed project!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Adyldrop, I agree with RedGarnet....go with Simplicity, McCall's, or Butterick. They are all good companies, and all of them have patterns geared for any level of sewing. (I had tried Burda patterns years ago, but did not like them for same problems you are running into.)

And costwise, have you tried Walmart? I know many of their stores have opted out of the fabric departments, but those that have them yet do carry Simplicity and McCall's patterns. They run anywhere from around $6 to $7 in the pattern books, or if purchased from the revolving racks, are $1.99. (At least that's what I've found here in our Walmart in Worthington, MN. The fabric department has downsized, but at least they still have one!)

Hope this helps!

Joanne

P.S. I miss JoAnn's...We did have one until Walmart moved in!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

:D Oh hey that is one pretty coat. Take your time with it and enjoy each step. If you are unsure about anything, practice on something else first. Then you will feel more confident working on your project. Make sure you use a topstitching thread and a good sharp needle when ou get to that part. It makes a difference.

I am very excited to see your new coat. This is way cool, a new designer! I like your ideas to make the pattern your own. I do that all the time. There is a thread over at the pattern review site that talks about making home sewn clothing look more like "store-bought". It is a good thread, if you have time to read it.

Most of all.... Have fun with it! Nobody dies if it isn't just perfect.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Stick with the Burda patterns. Once you get onto how to use them, you will love them. They always have very nice styles and the fit is good on them. I usually make paper pattern pieces in my size so that it is not too confusing. Do all your adjustments for waist length and whatever other adjustments you need before cutting out the patterns. I always keep the main pattern page without cutting into it so that I have it to keep for another outfit. Read over the instructions as many times as you need to so that you understand the sequence of sewing before you even start. I just finished sewing some baby outfits for two new grand-children and they turned out very well. These particular outfits weren't very complicated but I have made some of their more complicated designs and had good luck with them, Do read the pattern pieces carefully as they seem to put a lot of important information right on the pattern. Take it step by step and you will do fine!!