Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone know anything about MacKeeper?

Power Poster

Anyone know anything about MacKeeper?

All of a sudden I'm getting messages that I need to install this program ?????

If you check it out on internet, although I didn't understand alot of what was being said, the resounding opinion was NO do NOT install.

Blog Entries
    NEVER down load or install any thing that you do not understand or makes you form the question ''should I'

Sounds like a phishing spam.

MacKeeper

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    All of a sudden I'm getting messages that I need to install this program ?????
    I have used MacKeeper for several years on my Mac desktop. It constantly updates for viruses. I scan for viruses at least once a week; it found one trojan horse once even though nothing is supposed to get through on a Mac. It also cleans up the cache, duplicate files and other things that can slow your computer. I think it is a good idea to have if you have a Mac. I like having it.

I still am wary of anything I didn't request. Better to be safe than sorry.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Mac keeper

I had it for awhile. My computer tech recommended that I get rid of it so I did and have not been sorry.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I just had to take in my computer (I am on my iPad) for what was originally thought was a malware by genius box ads (never heard of a genius box). I hope to get it back by Friday, so be careful of what you download and be sure you have a good anti virus program . I thought I did ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I had to get Apple on the phone to uninstall it....it's considered malware.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Power Poster
    Thanks -

Some of those messages seem so "authentic"

Apple told me the way to know if the program is legitimate is to only download through the App Store (or iTunes). If the program isn't available through the App Store, it can be fraught with all kinds of viruses and trojans. All software through the App Store is heavily screened for such, and even the updates. It's a very secure way to get software, which is why Macs do not get viruses easily. You'll probably never get a virus if you don't download through 3rd party vendors. It's one of the many benefits of buying a Mac.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I had MacKeeper for awhile, but the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store took it off for me. They told me when MacKeeper does the "cleaning" of files, they often delete files they should NOT delete, and go overboard. So glad it is gone for it was always disturbing. I use Sophos Anti-Virus on my Mac.

Not a good idea to install MacKeeper. Have had a Mac for years and never have had any "protection" programs on them. You usually only have problems if you are running Windows on your Mac which opens your computer up to all of the Window virsuses, malware, etc. I have several friends that have run PCs for years and have had tons of problems and had to purchase new machines. I finally convinced them to buy Macs and they love them and have found them so user friendly and they tell me, "Why didn't I do this years ago?" To each his own… imho...

It is a myth that Macs don't get viruses. In the past years it was pretty much true, because hackers were going after the Windows Operation Systems because they way outnumbered the Macs in users hands. I learned this all from the blonde computer/technology geek in Phoenix, Kim Komando. She comes on the radio on weekends nationwide and her website is www.komando.com and it was through her website that I downloaded my anti-virus, Sophos a few years ago. The first scan put two viruses in quarantine and found an issue. And this was in 2009. Since then I have installed Window through Boot Camp being that Macs have dual processors and I needed Windows in order to communicate with my embroidery machine. Never had much of any problems on Windows XP but last August upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. And yes, viruses have crept in. I have the two year plan at BestBuy, Geek Squad, and they have had my Mac three times now since August due to Windows getting a virus. If you have a Mac and need Windows for an embroidery machine compatibility I think it would be easier to buy a cheap Windows computer.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
    It is a myth that Macs don't get viruses. In the past years it was pretty much true, because hackers were going after the Windows Operation Systems because they way outnumbered the Macs in users hands. I learned this all from the blonde computer/technology geek in Phoenix, Kim Komando. She comes on the radio on weekends nationwide and her website is www.komando.com and it was through her website that I downloaded my anti-virus, Sophos a few years ago. The first scan put two viruses in quarantine and found an issue. And this was in 2009. Since then I have installed Window through Boot Camp being that Macs have dual processors and I needed Windows in order to communicate with my embroidery machine. Never had much of any problems on Windows XP but last August upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. And yes, viruses have crept in. I have the two year plan at BestBuy, Geek Squad, and they have had my Mac three times now since August due to Windows getting a virus. If you have a Mac and need Windows for an embroidery machine compatibility I think it would be easier to buy a cheap Windows computer.

Good to know.