Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone know anything about MacKeeper? >

Anyone know anything about MacKeeper?

Anyone know anything about MacKeeper?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 AM

Apple told me the way to know if the program is legitimate is to only download through the App Store (or iTunes). If the program isn't available through the App Store, it can be fraught with all kinds of viruses and trojans. All software through the App Store is heavily screened for such, and even the updates. It's a very secure way to get software, which is why Macs do not get viruses easily. You'll probably never get a virus if you don't download through 3rd party vendors. It's one of the many benefits of buying a Mac.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 AM

I had MacKeeper for awhile, but the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store took it off for me. They told me when MacKeeper does the "cleaning" of files, they often delete files they should NOT delete, and go overboard. So glad it is gone for it was always disturbing. I use Sophos Anti-Virus on my Mac.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 AM

Not a good idea to install MacKeeper. Have had a Mac for years and never have had any "protection" programs on them. You usually only have problems if you are running Windows on your Mac which opens your computer up to all of the Window virsuses, malware, etc. I have several friends that have run PCs for years and have had tons of problems and had to purchase new machines. I finally convinced them to buy Macs and they love them and have found them so user friendly and they tell me, "Why didn't I do this years ago?" To each his own… imho...
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM

It is a myth that Macs don't get viruses. In the past years it was pretty much true, because hackers were going after the Windows Operation Systems because they way outnumbered the Macs in users hands. I learned this all from the blonde computer/technology geek in Phoenix, Kim Komando. She comes on the radio on weekends nationwide and her website is www.komando.com and it was through her website that I downloaded my anti-virus, Sophos a few years ago. The first scan put two viruses in quarantine and found an issue. And this was in 2009. Since then I have installed Window through Boot Camp being that Macs have dual processors and I needed Windows in order to communicate with my embroidery machine. Never had much of any problems on Windows XP but last August upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. And yes, viruses have crept in. I have the two year plan at BestBuy, Geek Squad, and they have had my Mac three times now since August due to Windows getting a virus. If you have a Mac and need Windows for an embroidery machine compatibility I think it would be easier to buy a cheap Windows computer.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
It is a myth that Macs don't get viruses. In the past years it was pretty much true, because hackers were going after the Windows Operation Systems because they way outnumbered the Macs in users hands. I learned this all from the blonde computer/technology geek in Phoenix, Kim Komando. She comes on the radio on weekends nationwide and her website is www.komando.com and it was through her website that I downloaded my anti-virus, Sophos a few years ago. The first scan put two viruses in quarantine and found an issue. And this was in 2009. Since then I have installed Window through Boot Camp being that Macs have dual processors and I needed Windows in order to communicate with my embroidery machine. Never had much of any problems on Windows XP but last August upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. And yes, viruses have crept in. I have the two year plan at BestBuy, Geek Squad, and they have had my Mac three times now since August due to Windows getting a virus. If you have a Mac and need Windows for an embroidery machine compatibility I think it would be easier to buy a cheap Windows computer.

Good to know.