Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone use a non-contract phone? >

Anyone use a non-contract phone?

Anyone use a non-contract phone?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebbieBrei View Post
Where do you buy the apps? I have a tracfone and love it but I can't figure out how to add apps and where I would get them from. Thanks for your help. Deb
Is your phone "smart"? My last phone was not smart enough to be able to use to purchase apps. You need a phone that can access the internet by means of wi-fi.

You should take your phone to the place where you purchased Tracfone or to a place that offers Tracfone, such as Walmart. They will be able to tell you if your phone is smart enough for apps. If it is not, they should be able to show you phones you can purchase that will allow you to download apps.

I finally bit the bullet and got an iPhone. I had to set up an account with iTunes (with a credit card linked to the account). Once I did that, it became very easy to download any of the 500,000 or so apps offered for it. Android phones probably work in a similar manner, but they use a different store (not iTunes) that lists all the apps that work for Android.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:23 PM

I've had a Tracfone for years as well. It's only used when I'm away from home or if the electricity goes off. I don't text; in fact I've never set up the voice mail. I have no problem with the service; my phone is a piece of ...... Recently I've been looking at smartphones but refuse to pay their prices. What the admen think is a good deal is way out of line for a senior on a fixed income. I just heard that Tracfone is or is going to ad smartphones to their list. I'll look into that; some of the "apps" I see could be helpful. I won't pay$40.00/month. Guess it's time to go back to just having a phone at home. Since I am not nor will I be one of those people constantly at the beck of their cellphone I must be a sales persons nightmare. Any smartphone through Tracfone is bound to be more technologically smart than I am; I just want to add a few "apps" (Whatever happened to using words?? ) As for the grandchildren, if texting is the only way they will communicate, they need to spend some time talking to another human being, really talking. No human communication (I'll sink as low as counting Joyce speaking on any phone), no grandmother. Joyce in Delaware
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Free Texting App

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
What is the app you added?
The app I downloaded (it was free) is TextNow. A coworker told me about it. She uses it. My only complaint is that I haven't figured out how to save a photo to my phone when my kids send me one. This app gives you another phone number you need to share with those who would be texting you. You're suppose to be able to make/receive calls on that number through that app but whenever someone calls me on it my phone closes the app. I use my original TracFone number for calls.
Oh...my phone is a TracFone android smart phone, ZTE Valet. It is regularly $99 but Kmart had it on sale for $49.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM

My whole family uses Straight Talk and loves it--Unlimited talk, text and internet.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM

Straight Talk unlimited everything only $45 per month. No Trouble. Great service and we live in the mountains.where most do not have much service on the bigger phone companies.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 AM

I use Net 10 for $45 a month with 2.5 g data and unlimited calling. Check who gets the best reception in your area. Net10 uses ATT towers and is the only one that I get reception in my home. (I used ATT before my smartphone for straight calling only- no contract and it was more).