Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a webcam?

I have lots of questions. I guess I'll start with, how large is the field of what it shows? What has your experience with it been?

And may I PM you with more questions?

Thanks!

Sorry don't use one.

I hope people repy to the thread as well. I just ordered a laptop with a webcam and have no idea how to use it.

thanks for starting this thread.

Rose Hall

k3n
    Blog Entries
    We have them - my DH works away from home a few nights a week and we chat on Skype and can see each other at the same time. Mine just clips to the top of my screen and shows my head and shoulders plus a bit of space around me. I think his is intergral to his laptop. I can pan it around for example, sometimes I show him something on my design wall which is behind me - it's in my sewing room. :-D

Funny story - my Mum and Dad got one when they moved over here, to chat to friends and family on Skype. First time up, Mum was chatting to her sister and she (the sister!) suddenly screamed. My Dad had come out of the shower, no towel, robe or nothing and wandered into shot! :lol:

That's why I don't use mine even thou I have one!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    And that's why I ONLY use mine with DH! Nothing he hasn't seen before! :lol:

I have used, but not well. When my daughter was doing an internship in Germany, we used it a couple of times, but usually had trouble somewhere along the line. I have used them at work, but someone else always set it up for me.

My son in law gave us a webcam to use to communicate with our daughter by SKYPE while she was in Iraq. Unfortunately my dog decided to chomp on it a bit. We never really got to use it the way it was intended to be used!!!

Blog Entries
    I have one that I use, it only shows a narrow area. Feel free to PM with more questions :D:D:D

Thanks to all who answered with info and stories. I loved your stories!

k3n, I hadn't even thought that a webcam could pan around, but I guess that makes sense.

amma, thanks for saying I can PM. I will be PMing!

I got one for Iraq but never used it beyond Kuwait. Too slow. Too many hang ups.

You could do an entire room tour just by moving it around. If you're wireless, you could show the whole house off.

If you're worried about people seeing your mess behind you, back up to a wall. :0D

I have one on my pc but haven't used it yet. I also have skype but don't know how to do that either!

I've had a web cam that we bought in April because of my son & daughter who live out of state. We are on windows live
    messenger. They are trying to get skype set up so we can talk to both of them at the same time. My brothers family have gotten on for Christmas so it's fun to be able to see them when we call and it's not a long distance call. Love it.

I have a webcam built into my lap top and use it to talk with our DD and SIL in New Zealand. It is awesome. Mostly shows head shoulders and a little bit all around. Since I have wireless, I can go anywhere and direct it to whatever I want to show.

Almost forgot. I have a cam on the xbox also. Works just as well but has fewer funny filters.

We have a web cam that is built in the PC. And we skype at least twice a week for some reason, but when we talk with our cam on, the line cuts down very easily. So we seldom put our camera on, just talking like a phone call using chat box.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Almost forgot. I have a cam on the xbox also. Works just as well but has fewer funny filters.
    Filters? They have filters?? Oh well, this is one someone is sending me for a specific purpose, so I'm sure if there are filters, they will tell me how to set them.

You have a webcam on your Xbox? So people can watch as you play video games? What would be the point? Geez, do they come on the Wii, too? Imagine, you could beam your fitness workouts onto the web for all to see...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    That's why I don't use mine even thou I have one!!
    Huh? Coz k3n's dad might wander naked into your shot???? lol

I've seen the size of the lens and the quality of the microphone, and I know the size of me. So if anyone wants to see more than my head, I'd have to sit across the room and yell. That doesn't sound like fun. Arr arr.

I've never used one.

I have a Microsoft web cam and I love it!! My daughters have them too and it is so fun to be able to see and chat with them and my granddaughters. I gave my parents one for Christmas and they love it too. I have not had any problems with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Funny story - my Mum and Dad got one when they moved over here, to chat to friends and family on Skype. First time up, Mum was chatting to her sister and she (the sister!) suddenly screamed. My Dad had come out of the shower, no towel, robe or nothing and wandered into shot! :lol:

Banned
    I have one and I love it! Although my wife has now made it known that my laptop and cam can not be brought into the bedroom anymore.............Rats :x

Billy

Have had a web cam for a couple years. I use it primarily with Skype to chat with family and friends. My son has one in his lap top and he was able to show me all of his new home by just walking thru it with his computer - awesome!

We have one to talk with my DGS in Michigan (I'm in PA). We couldn't get Skype to work, so we use ooVoo, and have no problem with it. I love being able to talk with my grandson and be able to see him while I talk.

We love it for seeing the Grandchildren far away from home. It's so clear, and the voice is also. I remember years ago before cable. But, it's not like that anymore. We plan on using it more often this Summer during our RV trip to Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast