Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone wear an activity tracker? >

Anyone wear an activity tracker?

Anyone wear an activity tracker?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I had the fitbit force, and like it because it was right there on my wrist, where it could see every bite of food I put into my mouth, so I was forced to keep track of all of it. Then I developed an allergy to the strap. I've been looking for another one since. I could get it to sync with my phone, but never could get it to sync with my computer.
The skin irritation is why the FitBit Force was recalled -- and refunds paid. Hope you got yours! I am told the Flex version does not have the same issues.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM

I have one of the original fitbit units that linked with a computer. It will tell me steps and flights of stairs, but also in fun terms, like " you've climbed the Statue of Liberty" or something like that. It's very intuitive and you can't really trick it by going up an escalator or elevator - it knows you're not walking! It keeps cumulative stats and you are rewarded with different " badges" for getting to certain heights or distances. You can also share and compare with others. It's fun thing to have if you like keeping track of statistics.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I have one of the original fitbit units that linked with a computer. It will tell me steps and flights of stairs, but also in fun terms, like " you've climbed the Statue of Liberty" or something like that. It's very intuitive and you can't really trick it by going up an escalator or elevator - it knows you're not walking! It keeps cumulative stats and you are rewarded with different " badges" for getting to certain heights or distances. You can also share and compare with others. It's fun thing to have if you like keeping track of statistics.
Is it the model that has a wristband with lighted dots? The one with a readout on the band was the one recalled. I am happy to hear you are having good luck with it -- my son said his and DIL's both malfunctioned in a few months, so that is why I am now leery.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM

I have an app on my cell phone. Works fine.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
I have an app on my cell phone. Works fine.
Believe it or not, I do not have a cell phone..
Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 AM

I used a fitbit a couple years ago. It was okay but I don't think it was very accurate at all. On windy days it would put me down for about 20 flights of stairs when I have no stairs at all, and one day when we went hiking it said I only went about 500 steps. So I quit using it. I was getting kind of obsessive about it anyway.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 AM

I LOVE my fitbit! I gave my DIL and my son both one for their birthdays. They LOVE them as well. My DIL is a physician and recommends them to some of her patients. We family all compete with each other with updates sent us by email as to who's the best each week. My general practitioner asked about mine and promptly bought one for herself and her husband. She bragged on it when I went for next appointment. Said she was back in her pre-maternity clothes in one week after she got it. Now she and hubby compete with each other to the benefit of both!

You don't have to be techy to use it either. You get a little short charging cord to power it up (on your computer) about every 10-14 days. There's a little wireless insert for the same slot you use for the charging so you can sync your fitbit with your online account. That way you have a record of your activity over time. That's about it.
One of my best investments in myself and my fitness in ages. Way better than that treadmill I never used except to hang clothes on years ago!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 AM

I use a pedometer that synces with virgins miles for work. A friend uses a fitbit that synces with her smart phone and it tracks her her sleep activity. The software app is loaded on her smart phone..
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Those of you with smart phones, there's a free app I use for biking called "Map My Ride". They also have one that measures steps, for jogging or walking. "Map My Ride" tells me how many miles I've been, how fast I'm going, the calories burned, the time of day, and several other bits of information. You can choose what information you want to hear. It tracks my route via GPS, and you can share your routes with friends, if you like. It's pretty nifty! I'm pretty sure the walking/jogging version has the same features. I think it's called "Map My Run".

(I say "bike", but mine's actually a recumbent trike. DH built us a pair. We've had such fun with them. I've got over 1,100 miles on mine now.)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 PM

i have a fitbit one--i just hook it on my pocket, and go. i am not obsessive about it, but it keeps me aware of how much i'm moving--or not! nope, it's not as accurate as it could be on the stairs, but my arthritic knees don't let me move as quickly on them as they might have twenty years ago. (i think the stair factor is influenced by the speed and impact.) syncing it is not difficult, and i just leave a tab open on my computer, so i can access it easily. now that the last of the snow is gone, i'm going to challenge it to keep track of my walking. later, we'll discuss those darned steps!